Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! need purchase guidance

M

mslayden

I am considering a C5 purchase. I can only afford a pre-2000 model. What should I look out for? What are typical trouble spots with these cars.

I appreciate any and all feedback you folks can give me.
Michael.

Welcome to :CAC mslayden.

You might want to check out the Tech Center and Knowledge Base here at CAC. There's a load of info for you to get started in there.

Good luck in your search!! :upthumbs

Michael - you've come to the right place to research Corvettes! Congrats on your decision to purchase a C5... I love my '98.

Here are a couple of links to help get you started:

The Corvette Action Center Model Center index page - Click me This will provide you with links to all the model year Corvettes with production numbers, specs, performance figures and photos.

The Corvette Action Center Buyer's Form - Click me Print a copy, or several, and take it with you when shopping to help you make an informed decision.

My own personal advice is this: buy the newest, lowest mileage Corvette you can comfortably afford.

Good luck hunting. When you find a good prospect, post about it and you'll get lots of input and suggestions.

:wJane Ann

My own personal advice is this: buy the newest, lowest mileage Corvette you can comfortably afford.
That is the best advice!
I'm on my third Vette and I remembered my firs purchase. I've maxed out my spending limit on the car that had a best shine on the lot. I soon found out what the maintenance cost on a Vette were. If possible look for service records to see if all the maintenance was performed and when next service will be required. This might sound stupid but the tires are very expensive especially rear ones (the ones that are usually bold!). Mounted they run in the neighborhood of $500 each (stock EMT's). Good luck with your purchase and if there are specific concerns you might have this board is a great place to get answers. Let us know what you get and post pictures.
:w

Hi Michael and welcome to the CAC!

I would first echo what Jane Ann says about getting the newest car you can afford. GM was constantly refining these cars a little each year.

There are a few C5 issues that crop up over time that you may want to be aware of:

1 - The infamous rocking seat - The bushing in the power seat tracks may wear down, causing the seat to move back and forth a little on braking and take-off. It can be fixed if you are handy and patient.

2 - Detached armrest cover - the adhesive behind the armrest comes loose and makes the surface pull away from the backing and the vinyl shrinks a little, giving it a springy feel. When you put your arm/elbow on it you can feel it give and hear the adhesive sticking and coming undone. Not a biggie, but annoys some people.

Fortunately, these are good cars and don't have many major chronic/common issues. I'm sure others will chime in with more things to look for.

Good luck in your search and keep us posted and ask any questions that come to mind.

Thanks you guys...

I appreciate the welcome and advice. Jan Ann, you replied in kind to an earlier post about me thinking about a C3. I just dont know what I want. I think I decided that a C3 would be expensive to get into and likely have alot of deffered maintenance that I am not interested in as such an aquisition price. Besides, I have come to the conclusion that I much prefer the benefits of technology.

I'll be back with more questions I am sure. Thanks much.

Welcome to the CAC mslayden. Nice to see more Nashvillians on the CAC!

Make sure to pull the diagnostic trouble codes on any C5 you are seriously looking at. Those will give you a good idea of what or if anything major has happened. It will also let the seller know you are not the run of the mill corvette buyer. :L

BTW I work in Brentwood.

I think I decided that a C3 would be expensive to get into and likely have alot of deffered maintenance that I am not interested in as such an aquisition price. Besides, I have come to the conclusion that I much prefer the benefits of technology.

I'll be back with more questions I am sure. Thanks much.
Having owned both, I can say that I agree holeheartedly with you. I loved my shark and it was a blast to drive but there was the worry factor since it wasn't a perfect car and I'm not Mr Goodwrench. However, I was able to perform all of the work that was ever done on my C3 myself, whereas there have been things on my C5 that I have deferred to professionals. It's not so much that I can't do the things, it's that if I broke something else while wrenching on the C3, the cost wasn't usually too steep for me to stomach - parts on a C5 can be a tad on the pricey side comparatively speaking. Plus there was a lot more room under the hood of my 71 for elbows and flailing socket wrenches:D.

A couple other pieces of advise that I negelected to throw out in my first post

1 - Drive as many as you can get your hands on. Don't be ashamed to walk into a used car lot and ask to drive everyone they have and then walk away. That will give you a feel for the effects of mileage, wear and tear, etc.

2 - Also, shopping for a Corvette can inspire impulse buying and that's a pretty hefty pricetag for an impulse purchase. It's always good to take someone with you who knows the cars so you have a reality check and voice of reason.

3 - Set a standard for what you want (condition, options, etc.) and don't allow yourself to budge from it. The last thing you want to do is settle for something and then regret it later.

- Eric:w

Overall, IMO, the C5s are excellent sports cars and a vast improvement functionally over the 2 C4s I had. Like others have mentioned, do research here and look for a car WITH maint. records.

Also, when you find your C5 (gotta be positive!) remember the engines in the C5s DO burn oil so check it as the owner's manual states. My '02 goes thru a quart of Mobil 1 in @ 1600-2000 miles depending on weather, useage etc. AFAIK a nice C5 is one of the absolute best high performance values out there today. Have fun looking and take your time to get the right car for you. DFO :)

I've owned 2 pre-2000 Vettes, both 99's. 99' FRC (Hardtop) and 99' Coupe, the Coupe I still have. I would be inclined to take a look at the rear diff. for any leaks. I would also check the shifter engagement into first and into reverse if it is a manual. The seat stitching was not good these years, so check for wear along the bolsters. Mostly, you really can't ask for a better car considering what you get for the money. Right now, an early C5 is probably the best bargain out there, and can still bury about 98% of the cars you'll ever decide to run against on the road. These cars also respond very well to mods. and horsepower if that is your thing, or will drive around town just as comfortable and docile as an Impala. Gas mileage is incredible making 30mpg easily on the highway, in the high speed lane. If you are lucky enough to find one with under 40K miles, you'll have a real nice car for sure. Against other makes, higher mileage Vettes are still very nice, due to the way most Corvette owners treat their cars, typically better than any other on average. Good luck with your search, or purchase.

Welcome to the CAC mslayden.

BTW I work in Brentwood.

Hey man, I just noticed that you work in Brentwood. I do too. I live off concord road and work at Tractor Supply Co.

there is a coupe for sale at Global motorsports. they want 18k for a 6spd manual with I believe 80k miles. I was going to try and to go drive it today.

I bought my 2000 last March after several months of searching. If you are like me, you will know the one when you find it. Take your time to look over what's out there. If you are as lucky as I was to find the perfect one, enjoy it! The C5's are great cars and can be used as daily drivers or the weekend toys. Good luck on your search.

What did you end up with? I am interested in a roadster. Do you mind me asking what you paid and how many miles are on it? manual? Auto? Is that it in your profile? Nice car.

Buy low sell high...

...and make sure it's Millennium Yellow! :w

Take your time, drive several and buy the newest model year possible. :upthumbs

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

What did you end up with? I am interested in a roadster. Do you mind me asking what you paid and how many miles are on it? manual? Auto? Is that it in your profile? Nice car.
I got the 2000 Navy Blue roadster with 6 speed. It had just under 36,000 miles when I got it. The former owner is/was president of one the local Corvette clubs so it was well taken care of. It came with a Corsa exhaust and Blackwing intake along with a large number of factory options including the z51 handling package. I paid right around $25,000 last March. I hope this helps you.

Sent you a PM. I think you work just down the street from me. :L

My 2000 had some body computer problems as well as an oil pan leak. Oil pans cost about $900 plus labor to install it (about a day at $90 hr), so it isn't cheap. As a matter of fact nothing is cheap to fix, so make sure that you have a little money in reserve for repairs. I would find out how to get the error codes off the DIC and before you purchase the car, take it for a ride and then read the codes to see if there is any engine problems or other diagnostics that you should know about. The read differential seals do have a little leaking problem sometimes. Minor problems with the headlight motors gear wearing out is about a $50 fix if you are handy or more than $200 if you have the dealer fix it. I don't do any work on the powertrain, but I do buy the mechanics manual so I know what is involved for repairs before I take it to the dealer so I can ask the right questions and they know I won't be fooled into having the exhaust bearings greased.

Before you buy a car, spend $120 to have a professional garage that knows Corvettes check it out for you. I did and it saved me from buying a wrecked car that was home repaired.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom