Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need some help

schweng18

Corvette
81 Frost Biege
Hey all, I have to change my intake manifold as mine is cracked. Wondering what the best manifold to install is that will still fit under the hood.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Hey all, I have to change my intake manifold as mine is cracked. Wondering what the best manifold to install is that will still fit under the hood.

Thanks in advance

Dave
I used this one. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=EDL-2101&N=700+400065+300515+115&autoview=sku
You can get it with EGR or without. I got the 2101 (no EGR). Using this one will allow you to use the stock air cleaner. Its a very nice upgrade for the price and will produce 15-20 advertised horse power gain.

I'll sell you my old original for 50 + UPS.I'll email pictures if you are interested.

Thanks Dave, but I'm really leaning towards the Performer. I have already taken off the smog equipment, so the EGR might as well go to. Did you install the water temperature sensor that was by the thermostat housing and if so where?

Glad you asked. There is a raised boss on the new manifold. I drilled and tapped it. I bought the bit and tap at local plumbing supply store. I'll get you the sizes needed. I have only used the tap and drill bit for this project. I think it set me back about $30 for both. Another thing you'll have to do is make a new hard fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb. The new manifold raises the carb about an inch or so and the original fuel line won't work. I didn't want to cut it and use rubber hose and clamps like some do. In my opinion thats a fire hazard. I had a buddy of mine with a nice tube bender make the correct one for me.

Thanks for all of the info! So it raised the carb about an inch and you don't have any problems with the hood closing?

I also have a Performer on mine. No problems with hood clearance. As for the fuel line, I was able to carefully "tweak" mine and get it to fit. I am running Performer manifolds on 3 different cars (Corvette, Nova, Chevelle) and still running the stock steel fuel line-it can be done with careful bending-I have no kinks or restrictions.

I like the Performer manifold, and it works well with the Performer cam or the Comp Cams 260H. I've also run a mild Sig Erson cam.

Rick
:gap

Did the vacuum tree on the rear of the manifold fit properly being that close to the carb?

Gerry, what is your opinion of the Edelbrock Performer?

Sorry for the late reply. I have never used an Edlbrock Intake, but Edelbrock products are very high quality, and in the specifications they include if a particular model will or not fit a particular C3 generation hood.

For the most part I have used the Holley. One Holley intake with design innovations from Zora Duntuv was the Z-series manifold. Zora basically took a -36 high riser intake and added a channel between the #7 and #8 cylinder runners to avoid #5 intake runners from robbing charge from the #7 cylinders since they both follow each other in the firing order (GM typical).

I came across one of these a couple of years ago in eBay, and I lost out when I lost track of the end of the auction. Now days, the AMC and Chrysler's versions are more common. This is supposed to be one of the most "torquier" manifolds out there. It is a dual plane.

GerryLP :cool

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom