Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 Need some LT4 Advice

1996 LT4 Topic

db2

Corvette
80,85 & 02 Z.
I've got an 80 & 85 Red coupe,but now I'm looking at a nice 96 Lt4 with 96K miles.

Don't know much about the later year C4's or the LT4 mtr. I would appreciate any advice or tips on what to look for and/or avoid on the last yr of the C4.

Thanks in Advance...

\db2
Carolina

The easiest answer is there's really nothing that comes to mind to avoid. As you know 96 was the last year for the C4 and the only year for the LT4 motor. The last C4's are notably tighter with fewer rattles than earlier versions. In 96, they also went to the OBD II version of the computer. The LT4 motor is an LT1 derivative that has aluminum heads with bigger valves and roller rockers, the cam is different and pushes the red line up to 6300rpm. There are some other changes and it's same motor as offered in the Gran Sport. It's rated at 330hp and 340lbft. However, most folks believe Chev purposely underated the LT4 so as not to take away from the LS1 that was coming out in 1997. Many have had dino runs done and as I recall, most LT4 motors are good for at least 350hp and a similar increase in torque. Having had both an LT1 and my current LT4, I can tell you that the LT4 is a smoother motor with noticably more power. A 96 LT4 is the best of the breed. (6K miles is up there but not unusual. Mine just turned 35K and is in your "fast and reliable" category.

JCS44
96 LT4 Vert, Triple Black (and it's for sale)

Thanks.My 85 suits me just fine,but the wifey doesn't like driving a 20+ year old car,so I thot I would get a nice 96 that has more power and is more wife friendly.

I'm in a toss-up with 2 cars.One 96 has almost 100k,but is super nice & in excell shape.The other is not as nice,but has 20K less miles.

Both are in the 10.5-11.5 range.

Thanks!
\db2

I had a 96 LT4 Convertable that I bought with 97,000 miles and sold it with 107,000 after I bought a 2000. It ran great and I have no doubt that if you care for the car properly and use Mobile One it would last for a long time beyond the 107,000. It ran very well and was really fast - especially with the performance axle. The C5 is nice but I find myself missing that LT4.

Thanks.My 85 suits me just fine,but the wifey doesn't like driving a 20+ year old car,so I thot I would get a nice 96 that has more power and is more wife friendly.

I'm in a toss-up with 2 cars.One 96 has almost 100k,but is super nice & in excell shape.The other is not as nice,but has 20K less miles.

Both are in the 10.5-11.5 range.

Thanks!
\db2

Is your wife comfortable driving 6-speeds?

Elaine

Sure,read my profile.

She drives all our cars and especially likes the S2000.We don't own an auto and won't have one.

\db2

I just recently bought my '96 LT4 coupe. It has 22k miles. I've had a '92 with LT1 before, this is way better. I also have an '04 GTO with LS1, I'ld compare the LT4 and the LS1 as almost the same power. I'm sure you can find a lower mileage car at a good price. I just paid $18.5 for mine. Red/black, LT4, F45, dual power seats and 2 tops.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom