Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

need sources for one piece molded front ends for C1

firstgear

Corvette
15 Z06, 01 Vert, 63 SWC & 60 ALL RED
Corvette Image makes them and so does another compaany by the name of Shimershines? or something like that....anyone have the name? Anyone know some good places to get them at a good price?

Just looking ahead to possibly having to have mine replaced and looking at all options.

Herb

It's Jim Sermersheim. He's in Indiana, as I recall. Don't have his #.

I don't believe you want the one piece front. I think you're asking about the jig assembled fronts, which both Image and Sermersheim make. Chuck

Herb

I do remember when I got my car, I thought I needed a new front end. I shot some pictures of the damage and all who responded said I did not need to replace it. There is some one advertising them regularly on eBay

Herb

I do remember when I got my car, I thought I needed a new front end. I shot some pictures of the damage and all who responded said I did not need to replace it. There is some one advertising them regularly on eBay
I will post some shots tomorrow if I can...will go back by the body shop with my camera.

Just for grins, here is a shot of the front passenger fender....
MG_7388rightfrontfenderrepairs-vi.jpg

MG_7389rightfrontfenderrepairs-vi.jpg

The damage to the fender goes from wheel well straight across the top to the hood opening. You can easily see the "shrink" of the repair job. Maybe it just needs a new top piece for the top of the fenders as well as the center section.

Additionally the front was so bad where the emblem goes that it looks like they just put another center piece over the existing!

More photos to come....

It's Jim Sermersheim. He's in Indiana, as I recall. Don't have his #.

I don't believe you want the one piece front. I think you're asking about the jig assembled fronts, which both Image and Sermersheim make. Chuck
Why wouldn't I want the one piece front end? I understand that it isn't "correct", but then if you have been looking at my car you know not much is correct at all anymore.....let me know....thanks, Herb

Herb

yes, that is Corvetteworx, talked to them already....they are running a special over at CF for $3895 plus shipping for a Corvette Image one piece front end....8 week lead time!

:) The price you're quoting IS for the jig assembled front end. Here's a cut and paste from the ad.

The one piece fronts are $1350. You don't want that one. Why? Usually poor fit. It's a cheesy cheap repair that you'll regret. When the day comes to sell the car, it will significantly reduce the resale value too.

I can pick out a one piece front on a Corvette from 10 feet away. :)

Chuck

1958-1961

* These front ends include correct bonding strips, correct color bonding material and inner skirts.
58-61 assembled front end PM white $4195.
58-61 assembled front end w/out side fenders PM white $3695.

*These front ends do not include inner skirts or upper dash.
58-61 one piece front end handlaid $1350.
58-61 one piece front end w/out side fenders handlaid $1044.

You can do just as good dealing directly with Jim Semerscheim, and not have to deal with Scotty Dixon over at Corvetteworx. Be prepared to wait 8-10 weeks from almost any source. I think that there is a good possibility that your front end is perfectly repairable. The old repairs have already shrunk all that they are going to, and as long as they are structurally sound, then it is just a matter of adding enough mat and resin to get it to where you can shape it properly. As you said, it is not going to be an original car, so the appearance of the underside of the repairs do not need to look like the day it left the factory! As long as parts large parts are not missing from the puzzle, then it is probably repairable. Making repairs to a Corvette body is simply a matter of adding mat and resin, and then grind away anything that does not look like a Corvette! :L

Regards, John McGraw

Herb shoot some pictures when the paint is off. I know nothing about glass repairs then what I have done on the 62. I made the hood, I smoothed the fire wall ,made the dash pod. And I repaired allot of cracks and fracktures, It was real easey and forgiving to work with

Mix the resin slather it on,roll in the matting,let it harden.

Grind it down and then repeat the process.

Next C1 I ever do

I will re-infource the fender tops with resin and matting from below,The time I should have done this was when I had the body on the rotissiry upside down, I can just bairley lean on them and you feel them flexing

Fiberglass is fun and more forgiving then metal as metal warps if you work it too much

PS I dont know the vendor on ebay,

But I do know that when looking at a vette,any time I see hand layed replacement parts I just wonder if they cheaped out on the glass where else did they take a short cut.

No to insult anyone, but this is my personal feeling

what about just getting a new top piece for the top of both fenders and the headlights and the front center section. That piece could be pieced in and is significantly cheaper...about 1/4th as much.....what about that?

actually this is what I was thinking about...

1958-1962 Press molded assembled front end $3899.

and I think this is the top piece of the fenders, headlights and the front center piece
58-61 hood surr panel PM white $950.

am I on the right track if I need to go this route?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom