Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need special speaker boxes for '82

82Redo

Corvette
So, I finally get to the point where I'm ready to mount the rear speakers, the 2 final pieces necessary to finish the radio replacement.......guess what? That's right, the new speaker magnets are a larger diameter than the old ones and they hit on some metal that goes across the rear of the car! I needed to do something anyway because the brackets the panels mount to are made of plastic with clip-on type nuts, the plastic was brittle, the nuts broke off! MAN, I WAS SO CLOSE! Anyway, does anyone know of a place that makes aftermarket speaker boxes that extrude a little more forward than the originals? If not, I'm going to figure out how to build some and replace the entire plastic piece of $#!^ that they originally mounted the speakers to!

That looks like some pretty custom stuff. I like the interior work with the exception of the color. Tan just doesn't look right. Does the console around the shifter go up at such a harsh slant normally or was that custom also? Anyway, so far I'm leaning for the first suggestion. Mainly because it keeps the speakers hidden more toward the corners and down. I have a "trunk cover" (for lack of a better term), it's kinda like a window shade that pulls outward to cover the back of the car. I want to keep that functional and it looks like this suggestion might stop that from working. I do appreciate the post though.

frank

82Redo said:
That looks like some pretty custom stuff. I like the interior work with the exception of the color. Tan just doesn't look right. Does the console around the shifter go up at such a harsh slant normally or was that custom also? Anyway, so far I'm leaning for the first suggestion. Mainly because it keeps the speakers hidden more toward the corners and down. I have a "trunk cover" (for lack of a better term), it's kinda like a window shade that pulls outward to cover the back of the car. I want to keep that functional and it looks like this suggestion might stop that from working. I do appreciate the post thou

I installed aftermarket speakers in the rear of my 81. They, too, had bigger magnets, and I also broke one of the mounting ears (plastic). They are available at parts suppliers. Before I broke the second one, I took my time, and was finall able to get the large magnet to fit in the opening. I took out the seats so I could lay in the back to get a better view.

Rare81 said:
82 ~ Take a look at this page on building a speaker box for a 78, I would think your 82 would be about the same ;)

Bud

These puppys are good.
I made a set of these up for our 81 and the fit just nice. They also bring out more bass as they are in a box of course.
Now, ours are mounted to the factory speaker mounts. We just modified the original broken ones and took out the plastic frame work on the top of the brackets and replaced it with these boxes, which use themselves as part of the bracket.

I would also recommend tucking away your factory wiring and running new wires for the speakers.

Cheers

Tony

Here is what I used in my 78.

Basically, I moddified some off-the-shelf speaker boxes.

speaker_rt.jpg

Photo Edit: Bud Dougherty

Sorry guys- the link comes in HUGE!!!

82Redo said:
So, I finally get to the point where I'm ready to mount the rear speakers, the 2 final pieces necessary to finish the radio replacement.......guess what? That's right, the new speaker magnets are a larger diameter than the old ones and they hit on some metal that goes across the rear of the car! I needed to do something anyway because the brackets the panels mount to are made of plastic with clip-on type nuts, the plastic was brittle, the nuts broke off! MAN, I WAS SO CLOSE! Anyway, does anyone know of a place that makes aftermarket speaker boxes that extrude a little more forward than the originals? If not, I'm going to figure out how to build some and replace the entire plastic piece of $#!^ that they originally mounted the speakers to!

I had Car Toys install my new 4-ways and they made new speaker enclosures out of a material that is almost a perfect match for the shade of the original plastic speaker grills. They're barely an inch or so deeper than stock, look great and sound great (either that or I'm so tone-deaf that I can't tell the difference.) The enclosures look close to what stock would have looked like with exposed speakers. I don't have a digital camera, but it can't hurt to ask them what they can do. I don't have the invoice handy but they did a terrific job for (what I believe, anyway) a good price.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom