Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

need tire recomendation.

soggytaco

Corvette
96 CE LT4
I will be buying new tires soon for my LT4 CE. I was going to get the Good Year F1 Gs-D3 but the tire guy is trying to talk me into Toyo Proxes T1R. Does anyone have any experiance with these? Also are their any othe tries I should be thinking about. I will admit the GS-D3s are big bucks.

I had Toyo Proxes S/T's on my Lightning and FZ4's on my Mustang. I was very happy with them. The treadwear is better than the Goodyears and the overall wet and dry performance was great. I would definately buy them again.

I wish Firestone didn't discontinue the SZ-50's because they are some fine tires for a decent price.

IMO, I think Goodyear tires are extremely overrated. Are they good tires? Yes, but for the price, you can get something just as good and save some $$$

The thing about tires these days, especially these past few years, is that there is so much selection and the online places have really put the local stores into action. It used to be that you had your local store and that was it. But with Discount Tire and NTB coming up very big these past few years, the competition has benefited the consumers. :D

I have read some very good things about Kumho tires. I haven't used them but a guy I used to work with has used them and liked them.

Edmond said:
I wish Firestone didn't discontinue the SZ-50's because they are some fine tires for a decent price.

IMO, I think Goodyear tires are extremely overrated. Are they good tires? Yes, but for the price, you can get something just as good and save some $$$

The thing about tires these days, especially these past few years, is that there is so much selection and the online places have really put the local stores into action. It used to be that you had your local store and that was it. But with Discount Tire and NTB coming up very big these past few years, the competition has benefited the consumers. :D

I have read some very good things about Kumho tires. I haven't used them but a guy I used to work with has used them and liked them.
Edmond, I've just put Kumho Ecsta ASX's on my 03,have about 1000 mi on them Now!! I Love them!! They are Smoother and Quieter than the Run Crap's ever were,and are Great on Wet and Dry Pavement!! I even had it on a little Snow and Ice and it was not at all Like a Bob Sled like the Goodyear's!!The Car even has a better Ride,not near as much road Vibration as the Goodyear's!!!!!!! :upthumbs junk!!

I just put a set of 4 285/40/17 GS-D3's on mine. I was also lookin' at the Toyos but came to the realization that for a few more bucks I am getting the premier tire for our cars. Regardless of personal opinion, The D3's ranked #1 in the C&D tire comparison & the Toyos ranked closer to last. The D3's are killer tires and they look awesome! Either buy through Tirerack or go to Discount Tire and tell them you want Tirerack's price. They will meet it. I paid $1000 for all 4 w/ road force balancing. Cheap...NO...worth it....HELL YEAH!

Edmond said:
Who do you think you are, Stone Cold?:L:L:L

Well I ain't Luke Warm! :D

I agree with Jeff - If you want the best get the Goodyear F1's

You've got the premier American sports car - get the premier American tire!

Get the Goodyear's. I have 'em and I love 'em. Good traction wet or dry, low road noise, supple ride, good handling.

nearmiss said:
Get the Goodyear's. I have 'em and I love 'em. Good traction wet or dry, low road noise, supple ride, good handling.

And awesome exotic good looks from the rear and when you open the clamshell at the cruise-in.;)

*89x2* said:
FWIW, 275/40/yr17 tires from BFGoodrich Comp KDW's are on special, $145/tire :eek :cool

That alone is what made me skip past the Goodyears I intended to buy @ $275/tire

Where did you buy them if i search tire rack thay dont have them for my car 96 CE

soggytaco said:
Where did you buy them if i search tire rack thay dont have them for my car 96 CE

I bet the reason is the 96 used 285/40/17's in back and 255/40/17 up front (base)

I have 275/40/17's on all four corners - try using model year 1989 instead of 96.

again, here is the link to the thread that my tires were discussed at length: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53966

I hope this helps :m

Kuhmo tire was the winning tire in almost EVERY class of SCCA race this year. Grassroots Motorsports Magazine has the finals of all the SCCA final national event and Kuhmo was the tire of choice in 99% of the classes. They also list the type car driven for each class and again next to the each winning corvette you see the tire brand of Kumho. While some of these classes are in fact racing classes most are stock class running street d.o.t. approved radials. I'm also getting ready for a new set of tires and leaning heavily towards the Goodyears but finding out this info makes one wonder what is the best tire. I can't believe all of these winning cars running Kumho know something that I don't, but they must.

Man Is it a pita to find tires that fit this car. I want to stay with the stock tire size and the BF Goodriches dont make any in my size. Kumos came in last in the car and driver test. I guess i am going to have to get used to the thought of spending $1000 for tires.

*89x2* said:
FWIW, 275/40/yr17 tires from BFGoodrich Comp KDW's are on special, $145/tire :eek :cool

That alone is what made me skip past the Goodyears I intended to buy @ $275/tire

One of the local tire shops recommends the KDW's. He says that the local Corvette club also recommends them. BFGoodrich has a pretty solid reputation. $145/tire is more than reasonable.

I went with BFGoodrich Comp KDW's, in the original factory size, from Discount Tire on my coupe. The convert had just had new Goodyears put on before I bought it. IMHO, I prefer the BFGoodrich Comp KDW's for ride and road noise. And the price? WOW!!!

LlanoBill said:
I went with BFGoodrich Comp KDW's, in the original factory size, from Discount Tire on my coupe. The convert had just had new Goodyears put on before I bought it. IMHO, I prefer the BFGoodrich Comp KDW's for ride and road noise. And the price? WOW!!!

What size? and how much?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom