Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

need your opinions on aircleaner

IH2LOSE

Corvette
1966,and a 1962 thats almost complete
Well here on some pictures which one do you think looks correct for the car

Triangle Fits perfect no others modifications are needed

image.jpg

Billet specialties

I need to shorten the air filter element a tad

image.jpg

My feeling will not be hurt either way

Some other pictures

http://www.clubphoto.com/perl/app.pl/albums/large_image_view?id=4617527&link_code=sa01_17

image.jpg

Larry, this is my choice......but if I had to shorten the element some....hmmm....not sure....but I like this set up better still......my 2 cents!

Herb

My $.02

I like the second picture, the one that runs with the lines of the carbs and valve covers. The triangle in my opinion is too wide at the rear and takes away from the look of the manifold.

I like the second picture, the one that runs with the lines of the carbs and valve covers. The triangle in my opinion is too wide at the rear and takes away from the look of the manifold.
I Agree. The oval looks mush better to me. You can see the carbs. With the triangle the 3x2 doesn't stand out asw well.

I vote for the Triangle,kinda goes w/ tripower..But I'm partial to that look and dont think I'd change mine for anything..
I'm sure you'll make either look awsome..Jim

I like the triangle on stock cars but on your car the oval ones just looks better in my opinion.
Besides, on the triangle one the front carb seems to be sticking out the front just a little too much and makes the front of the cleaner look too short

I like the oval too. The lines flow with the valve covers and you can see the carbs. The triangle looks great on a big block but I don't think it goes with your engine compartment theme.

I just got my Billet Specialities valve covers today from Summit. Great quality. I'm impressed. These are the first parts I have gotten from Bilet Spec. I got the short, smooth, polished ones for my truck.

Tom

I just got my Billet Specialities valve covers today from Summit. Great quality. I'm impressed. These are the first parts I have gotten from Bilet Spec. I got the short, smooth, polished ones for my truck.

Tom

Tom Mine are on the car just over a year. I planned on Covering them with ZOOP but as with other things I just never got around to it.

There products out of the box are spectacular. I have purchased some other polished peices from others but Billet specialties does an excellent job of polishing,then also cleaning up the peice. Anyways they dont stay looking new for long. I just had them off ,and re-polished them on the ole Baldor buffer Man did they come alive again,

Protect them if you can

My 2 cents.... I like the oval for the same reasons stated by others about the lines and the visibility of the carbs. Both look great though.

Have you used Zoops yet? I have read good reviews on it but have never tried it. This may be the time to do it since I don't have to put these on right away.

Here's a picture of the valve covers and my plain Jane round air cleaner. The Holley just came off the big brown truck from Bob Kunz a few hours ago.

Tom

Of the two examples, I like the looks of the Billet Specialties piece since the ball milling and aluminum matches your valve covers.

If you really want a triangle style Billet Specialties does make one and they can also ball mill the top to match your valve covers.

You are right about the shine of an unprotected billet piece not holding up for long. I got tired of repolishing those pieces for our 67 and had them chromed which was easier to maintain. I have recently used Zoops but don't know how long it will last. They say two to three years in their ads. I've also tried a product from POR-15 called Glisten which is a two part clear. That one is supposed to hold up much longer but is a little tricky to get the right thinning ratio and does seem to tone down the shine a bit. Time will tell with both.

Rich Lagasse

Of the two examples, I like the looks of the Billet Specialties piece since the ball milling and aluminum matches your valve covers.

If you really want a triangle style Billet Specialties does make one and they can also ball mill the top to match your valve covers.

You are right about the shine of an unprotected billet piece not holding up for long. I got tired of repolishing those pieces for our 67 and had them chromed which was easier to maintain. I have recently used Zoops but don't know how long it will last. They say two to three years in their ads. I've also tried a product from POR-15 called Glisten which is a two part clear. That one is supposed to hold up much longer but is a little tricky to get the right thinning ratio and does seem to tone down the shine a bit. Time will tell with both.

Rich Lagasse

I tried the Glisteins on my polished suspension pieces, I had disastrous results and I am not sure if the weather effected it or I did it incorrectly

I am not sure if anyone but the old schoolers here will know the reference when i say it "Blushed" and was not a crystal clear finish that I was expecting. 3 days latter when it was still opaque I polished it all off and left it untreated. It was suggested to me to try the ZOOPS and I do plan on trying it on some pieces

I tried the Glisteins on my polished suspension pieces, I had disastrous results and I am not sure if the weather effected it or I did it incorrectly

I am not sure if anyone but the old schoolers here will know the reference when i say it "Blushed" and was not a crystal clear finish that I was expecting. 3 days latter when it was still opaque I polished it all off and left it untreated. It was suggested to me to try the ZOOPS and I do plan on trying it on some pieces

Larry,

Hey now, blushing isn't just for us older folks....... :D

We experimented with Glisten on a few small pieces first using their suggested 10% thinning (with Xylol) but found it left too much orange peel. We went to 25%, applying thinner coats, and it smoothed out great. It was also much more clear. I also tested it's abrasion resistance and it was very hard to scratch after four days of curing. Temperature, humidity and keeping it in a paint booth for four days to cure well seem to be key factors along with applying thinner coats.

Zoops may not hold up quite as well where the parts could be exposed to abrasion, such as on the suspension, but I don't know for sure. It certainly takes a lot less experimenting to use as their directions are straight-forward.

Rich Lagasse

Sorry but that oval air cleaner has FORD written all over it. Reminds me of a CJ.

Gotta go with the tripower top.

I like them both, and for the same reasons as most of the previous posts. The oval looks very linear and matches the rest of the motor while displaying more of the carbs.

The triangle style looks good and to me still says Tri-Power BB Chev

I have to go with the Kid on this one........Triangle wins since the oval does look like a Ford 427 medium riser

Take care,
Brian

One other option you might consider... "March Pulleys" Clear Powder Coats there Billet pieces. I have a march set up and the alternator bracket as well as the pulleys and they are still like new out of the box. I just wipe them down with "Windex"

You might try Clear Powder Coating the Billet Pieces..Just My $.02 worth..:beer

One other option you might consider... "March Pulleys" Clear Powder Coats there Billet pieces. I have a march set up and the alternator bracket as well as the pulleys and they are still like new out of the box. I just wipe them down with "Windex"

You might try Clear Powder Coating the Billet Pieces..Just My $.02 worth..:beer

You know I have the march system on the 62 the brackets and pulleys are pefect just as the day I put them on,but the A/C compressor and the altanator are not holding up so well. I now understand why folks chose not to drive these cars its a lot of work keeping them clean.

Those of you who have met me know I am not known for keeping things clean normally I have a **** full of Cigereete ashes,coffe stain and a little trace of lunch on me.

You know I have the march system on the 62 the brackets and pulleys are pefect just as the day I put them on,but the A/C compressor and the altanator are not holding up so well. I now understand why folks chose not to drive these cars its a lot of work keeping them clean.

Those of you who have met me know I am not known for keeping things clean normally I have a **** full of Cigereete ashes,coffe stain and a little trace of lunch on me.

[/QUOTE]

................:L Sounds like me.....after an hour day you can tell what ..when and where just by looking at my shirt and pant's...:rotfl

I asked on the Eastwood Forums about high gloss clear powder coat on polished aluminum and was told that you get a slight reduction in shine. About the same as what it would look like two weeks after you polished it but it looks nice without any extra care.

I also asked about satin clear powder coating unpolished parts like intakes. Nobody had tried that yet.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom