Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: neutral safety switch or clutch?

WHEELS 81

Corvette
1981,MAROON COUPE
Hello everyone I've seen a lot of strange things with Corvettes in the last 30 yrs but this one is for the books. Have an 81 all stock w 33k on it, all original miles. Clutch pedal high but shifts perfectly.

Recently got a no start condition. Initally traced it to Neutral Safety switch (B+ going into switch but not coming out). I crawl under dashboard and with a meter on the switch I move the pedal by hand to activate switch. By hand and feet it will not engage switch. Can't adjust Clutch Pedal anymore w/o effecting shifter's smooth shifting. When the rod connecting the Clutch Pedal to the switch is removed and the switch lever is moved by hand it permits B+ to engage starter. Got another switch for the heck of it got same results. ( leaning towards a new clutch but man I have no problem shifting and engine stalls when I put it in third from a dead stop). So I performed surgery on the switch and moved its contacts so the pedal could easily engage it. Eliminated no start condition. Anyone ever come across this . Any thoughts would be greatly:v appreciated.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom