Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New C5 - First Wash - Clay Bar?

U

ufcpa

Just bought a 2003 Electron Blue Beauty in Miami, and have had a blast driving it over the last 24 hours. One small (I hope) glitch -I noticed that the roof, hood, other horizontal surfaces, as well as the vertical surfaces above the side mouldings have a relatively rough texture to the touch - not real evident unless looking at the surface up close. I spotted this when I picked up the car at the dealer. On close inspection, it appears that there are little granular particles adhered to the painted surface. I inspected some other Vettes parked in the lot, and noted the same particles (all were parked outside). On the lighter-colored cars, the particles were more evident, and even exhibited a slight yellow-green border (around the particles) on the paint. I'm assuming that maybe the stuff is rail dust, or perhaps associated w/ jet exhaust particles (dealer next to MIA airport). I also noted that the 2 Vettes parked inside in the showroom did not exhibit the particles, and were glass-smooth to the touch.

Obvously, didn't feel that the issue was serious enough to delay delivery of the car (was too excited to do this!) and got the dealer to give me a voucher for a detailing. Maybe not insisting that the problem be rectified was a mistake, but in any case, I didn't. I made enough comments about the problem that they were aware of my concern, and assured me that the problem would be rectified when I wash/detail.

Bottom line, I'm wondering if any one has recommendations on washing the car for the first time, with the goal of removing the "particles". Should I wait a few weeks until the paint is further "cured" (I don't know if this is a concern w/ the car- manufactured in 1/03)?

I'm paranoid about damaging the clear coat/paint on this rather expensive toy! From a thorough review of the archives, I'm assuming that I should wash the car w/ a Lussos/Auto Wash/Pinnacle ph-balanced product, then use a Clay Magic/Mothers/Lussos clay bar on the affected surfaces. Do I need to wax after this? Any other advice? Should I take the car back to the dealer and insist that the problem be fixed (ie, will this create a long-term paint issue)?

Many thanks for the help. I look forward to becoming an active contributor to the site.

Congartulations on your purchase and welcome to the :CAC We have some very knowledgeable detailers as menbers and I am sure they will help you shortly.

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you have just purchased an awesome car - I love Electron Blue. :D

First, I'd like to give you credit for even noticing these "particles" embedded in the paint; there are many owners that do not notice such things nor do they address them.

Second, I believe that you are correct in your assessment of their origin. Sounds like rail dust, and the fact that the dealership is in close proximity to an airport is not at all helpful.

My recommendation is the use of a quality clay bar such as Clay Magic or Mother's. These particles must be removed. Follow the directions given on the box, and you should have no problems. I have found both the Clay Magic and the Mother's clay bars to be of very good quality and highly effective.

Do not wait a few weeks in order to address this issue. You ask about cure time on your paint.....your paint was cured long before you took delivery. Waiting 30 days or more before applying polishes, waxes, etc. is a thing of the past. Today's paints are cured before they reach you as a consumer.

After you have clayed the car, you may polish/seal if you like or you may both polish/seal and wax or simply wax (don't mean to confuse you, but you have many options at that point).

Have you decided on a system that you'd like to try? The list is nearly endless as far as waxes, sealants, polishes, etc.

You ask if this situation will create a long term paint issue. My answer to that is....only if you don't take care of it soon. Rail dust will embed itself into the clear coat, compromising it.

Personally, I prefer to do all of my own detailing. My thoughts are that a dealership "detailer" simply does not have the bond to the car that I do. To him/her, it's just another Vette - to you, it means much more. This is something that you can handle yourself. ;)

Ruby- thanks for the thoughts. I actually tried out the Clay Magic bar today. I isolated the "treatment" to the area behind the rear window on the hatch. Results were pretty good. Definitely a lot smoother, although there are still a few specks of the stuff that don't seem to want to let go. I did notice too very light surface scratches after use of the bar- visible under a strong light. Maybe I rubbed a little too hard- just did what was necessary to remove the stuff. I used a very generous amount of the lube fluid, so I'm relatively certain that I didn't create the problem w/ too dry of a surface.

Question now is whether to use the bar on the rest of the car- Not really an option not to use it- I REALLY need to get the stuff off. So I guess the real question is how to avoid the light scratches from its use.

Any thoughts? I washed the area thoroughly, used lots of lube fluid, removed excess fluid w/ soft all-cotton towel lightly.

This is how I like to use a clay bar: take the bar and break off a small piece - enough to form what resembles a silver dollar pancake in both size and thickness. Use each side of the bar once and then discard. Take another small piece and repeat. Do not knead the pieces and reuse.

I don't care for the idea of kneading contaminants back into the clay and reapplying to the surface. If you employ the above method, you begin with a fresh clay surface everytime. If you literally feel the clay picking up alot of particles, then turn it over and use the fresh side instead of continuing with the loaded side.

This is just a different method that I have picked up along the way....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom