Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New C6 License Plate Bracket!!!!

shopman1

Corvette
73 Coope, White, Black Interior, 420 HP, Restored
Production has started. Shipping material coming next week. Anyone interested drop me an email at: shopman1@hotmail.com.
I will email you the data on the plate.
'
C6-Plate-full.jpg

How tragic to have to do that to your new C6! For fear of sounding real anal, I will have to say that my dislike for a front plate stuck on the front of a C6 will keep me from owning one. I'll go with the C5 thank you!

I was recently involved in a live forum with corvette design and production personnel at Effingham last weekend. This front plate question was first up from the crowd. You should have heard the lame excuses from those guys.

GM seemed to think it was no real problem in states that require front plates. An engineer said something to the effect, "Hey, no problem. Your dealer will just attach the plate frame to your front end with absolutely no drilling. He will attach foam sticky strips and put it in place." The next question from the crown went something like this, "And how do we remove the plate bracket when we go to a show?" The response was something like, "All you need to do is take a hair dryer to the attaching points and just peel her right off." Yea right! I'm going to do that every other week.

The engineers did caution against blocking any of the air intake with a make-shift plate frame because the C6 is going to need all the cooling air it can get. Probably especially in Z06 trim.

Thanks for the informaiton. Good stuff. When I ordered the C6, I told the dealer not to put the plate on, that's what everyone should do. There is always options and a better way if you think about it. My plate can be put on with double back tape or even Velcor, I put mine on with sheet metel screws. Got to have a plate or you will get a ticket in NJ thats for sure.
thanks,
shopman1

compyelc4 said:
How tragic to have to do that to your new C6! For fear of sounding real anal, I will have to say that my dislike for a front plate stuck on the front of a C6 will keep me from owning one. I'll go with the C5 thank you!

I was recently involved in a live forum with corvette design and production personnel at Effingham last weekend. This front plate question was first up from the crowd. You should have heard the lame excuses from those guys.

GM seemed to think it was no real problem in states that require front plates. An engineer said something to the effect, "Hey, no problem. Your dealer will just attach the plate frame to your front end with absolutely no drilling. He will attach foam sticky strips and put it in place." The next question from the crown went something like this, "And how do we remove the plate bracket when we go to a show?" The response was something like, "All you need to do is take a hair dryer to the attaching points and just peel her right off." Yea right! I'm going to do that every other week.

The engineers did caution against blocking any of the air intake with a make-shift plate frame because the C6 is going to need all the cooling air it can get. Probably especially in Z06 trim.

Just an update: I have been running the plate for 2 weeks and there is no change to the tempature, none, as a matter of fact, it looks like its running cooler, may be that its braking in and its getting cooler in NJ. Anyway, not to worry, it works, and it looks good!

A better idea

You want a plate for the C6 that looks good and requires no drilling or double sided tape and will make all the lame cops in the 38 states that requires front license plates happy? then go here
http://www.vettespecialties.com/ then go to new stuff!!
None of them look good but it beats the heck out of the ones the morons at GM designed!

shopman1 said:
My plan is to ship by the end of this week.
Thanks,
shopman1@hotmail.com

I pulled my front plate off last week with no problem, except for the residual glue. But the top of the friggin plate holder scratched a line in the paint right smack in the middle of the front end! I've been running with it for about 9000miles.

Shopman

looks good (not as good as c6 without it) but I have enough trouble avoiding NJ state troopers on the Jersey Turnpike!

I actually ordered one from Bailey motor sports
very similar concept and no holes in the nose

Front plate problem solved at last.

You want a plate for the C6 that looks good and requires no drilling or double sided tape and will make all the lame cops in the 38 states that requires front license plates happy? then go here
http://www.vettespecialties.com/ then go to new stuff!!
None of them look good but it beats the heck out of the ones the morons at GM designed!

Early on I decided I couln't live with GMs front plate solution, ran across your post, and all I can say is "Thanks for the tip."

My first attempt to install was less than successful and I completely removed the plate bracket, being unable to adjust the bracket so that the removeable plate holder didn't rub the top bumper :confused . Naturally, this has been "nagging" at me (a macho man over machine thing :mad ). I'm on vacation this week and, one trip to the hardware store later, SUCCESS!:upthumbs . The bracket is now very secure to the bumper behind the air dam grill, and the removable plate holder clears the front bumper with room to spare. Unless you stick your nose right inside the air dam you can't tell the bracket is there, but in 5 seconds I can be running a front plate, if needed :ugh. It's a reasonably good solution to the stupid front plate problem. I can also throw on my Speedlingerie nosecover (AKA bra) with no problem when I want to run with that, which comes with it's own well engineered front plate solution. Now if the rain would stop, which has been coming down steady for four days, I could get her out on the road for some sea trials :beer .

Now I got it covered, topless or not :L.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom