Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New C6 Photos

jonstr

Our club got a preview of the C6 yesterday, and I've posted the photos to our website. Not much new except the event was hosted by a member with a lift, and we were able to put the C6 up and go over the chassis, so there are several chassis photos as well.

http://www.ncrs.org/southwest - Click on 'event photos', and then 'July 10 C6 Preview'.

Enjoy!
Jon

Nice - thanks for posting for us to see!

Rain

Great pics, thanks for sharing. Looks like the drain plug is on the left side of the oil pan instead of in front. I wonder if the C6 will be easier to change the oil in than the C5 in the fact that the C5 needs to be level for the oil to drain properly.

Leon

Thanks Jon....any other impressions of the car you could share with us???

Oh my gosh!!!!!!!!!!!! I think im in LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those are GREAT shots, thanks sooooo much!!!!:D

wow, great pictures, does the C5 have an underbody like that??

Likarok said:
Thanks Jon....any other impressions of the car you could share with us???
I don't think I've got any new insights that haven't already been said. Fit and finish look excellent. The paint on this one had alot of orange peel, but I'f guessing that is just because its a pilot car. Personally, I really like the car, much better in person than in any photos I've seen (including my own). I just don't think the photos do it justice.

WOW, excellent before unseen pics of the car! Thanks for sharing with us.

I'm sorry, but I have tried to like the C6 and don't. Frankly, I think many of us feel the same way and are trying to convince ourselves otherwise. These pictures of the car (in a color I like) don't help. I have also seen the car at the Houston Auto Show. There, I was struck by the fact of how few people were looking at it (the new Mustang GT and the Ford GT were drawing large crowds, along with Lexus). Main points: first, these pictures illustrate how unfinished and cheesy the interior looks---especially the center console/vertical center section and the area in front of the passenger. The "aluminized" covering on the console/center section looks cheap, the shape of the vertical portion makes it look like it should be in an "entry-level" car, and the area in front of the passenger is the weirdest looking blank space. Second, there is also too much tire to fender gap (giving the car a baby buggy look--many people have commented that the new Mustang GT looks hunkered down and agressive in this regard), and the front was ripped by Lutz from the newest Viper, as well as the side "scoop", although he tried to make it not too obvious. The rear has a sort of wavy and contorted look, and overall the car has a weak and delicate look and stance. According to several auto magazines, Lutz was trying for more "European" acceptance. Whoppeee. I give this design a few years, only, before a totally new and fresh look follows Lutz' and Dave Hill's retirements.

--Chris Kennedy
Houtson, Texas

Not meaning to hijack jonstr’s post...

Chris,
I agree, their are similarities. I think that this happens across the automotive spectrum. I swear that the 2004 Mitsubishi Galant was inspired by the Pontiac Grand Am. I also think Acura TSX resembles a Pontiac. Maybe it’s just me.

While developing the BMW Z3, BMW purchased a Corvette to see just how GM setup the rear independent suspension. I can’t recall if it was in All Corvettes Are Red, but I remember reading about it from a credible source. While not part of the exterior design, the engineers at BMW looked at outside influences.

’05 will be the first year out, I’m sure we’ll see changes as time progresses, especially since GM seems to be shortening the life span of Corvettes’ overall design. 13 model year run for the C4, the C5 coming in at 8.

I must admit, I can’t wait to see a C6 in person. Seeing a flat printed image or a 72 dpi image on a computer monitor won’t due jutice compared to a face to face viewing.

B17Crew
:w

Chris, I wholeheartedly agree with you concerning the interior of the C6. IMHO, the Corvette hasnt had "decent insides" since the 60s! They could have done so much more.

what's up with people talking smack about the C6? If you don't like the car for aesthetic reasons, you at least have to like the performance numbers that chevy is getting outta this thing. I for one cannot wait to see the Z06. If it's much more cooler than the base C6, i might have to have CPR. :_rock

Regarding the C6 interior, Bob Lutz was interviewed in The Wall Street Journal awhile ago when he had just rejoined GM. He especially condemned the interiors of U.S. cars, and used Audi as an example of how to do it right. However, to date, many magazines have criticized the interiors of cars done under Lutz' reign. This includes several Cadillac models and, unfortunately, the C6. The new Chrysler 300 line of cars (which have been a hit, especially the Hemi models which I have seen are commanding up to $5K premiums) have gotten lots of praise for their interiors, which are high quality and have an excellent blend of classic and modern elements, and a certain American "swagger" (can't think of a better word) to them. They are also spacious, and I read that the new C6 interior is tighter than the C5. The C6 interior looks one of those unfinished styling "bucks" auto designers put inside simply to have an interior while they are trying to finalize the exterior design. Personally, I think much of Lutz talent is making himself a media darling of the auto magazines. One day I definately want to get a new COrvette to replace my beloved C3 (200K miles), and my prediction is that there will be major styling/design changes to both the interior and exterior of the C6 relatively soon (2-3 years max.)
--Chris Kennedy

Chris, I recently took delivery of a 2004 Audi A8L and one reason was the interior. I cannot for the life of me understand how American car manufacturers have "skipped the insides" and how many have botched the outsides!! If the Corvette doesnt sell the numbers as GM hopes it will, the design may be tweeked a bit. BMW has done the same thing with their much-maligned 7 series.

Chris Kennedy said:
I'm sorry, but I have tried to like the C6 and don't. Frankly, I think many of us feel the same way and are trying to convince ourselves otherwise. These pictures of the car (in a color I like) don't help. I have also seen the car at the Houston Auto Show. There, I was struck by the fact of how few people were looking at it (the new Mustang GT and the Ford GT were drawing large crowds, along with Lexus). Main points: first, these pictures illustrate how unfinished and cheesy the interior looks---especially the center console/vertical center section and the area in front of the passenger. The "aluminized" covering on the console/center section looks cheap, the shape of the vertical portion makes it look like it should be in an "entry-level" car, and the area in front of the passenger is the weirdest looking blank space. Second, there is also too much tire to fender gap (giving the car a baby buggy look--many people have commented that the new Mustang GT looks hunkered down and agressive in this regard), and the front was ripped by Lutz from the newest Viper, as well as the side "scoop", although he tried to make it not too obvious. The rear has a sort of wavy and contorted look, and overall the car has a weak and delicate look and stance. According to several auto magazines, Lutz was trying for more "European" acceptance. Whoppeee. I give this design a few years, only, before a totally new and fresh look follows Lutz' and Dave Hill's retirements.

--Chris Kennedy
Houtson, Texas
Sadly, I tend to agree. I was excited to see the first pictures of the C6, but I have gone back and forth in my appreciation of the car since seeing it in person and in pictures; sometimes it looks really good and other times it looks kind of plain. I don't like the exposed headlamps at all, they ruined the front of the car and made it look like every other car on the road. I don't care for how high the front end is, with the gaping mouth underneath. It looks too much like a Miata or an NSX. I really like the knife-edge fenders and the beautiful coves, but I agree that the rear end is too wavy and complicated. The Corvette should have clean, simple lines, not a riot of juxtaposed angles, planes, and curves like the C6 has. The rear end is too high, the whole car seems to ride too high. And I also agree about the interior, it somehow looks unfinished, it's too simple and too minimalist for my taste. I love the door panels and the seats, but the steering wheel is much much too thick and stumpy. I don't much care for the wheels either, the spokes come down into the rim and form hard, unflattering angles. I'm sorry, but the C6 is really a funny-looking car when you think about it, it certainly is unique if that's the look the designers were going for, if they wanted choppy and stumpy they got it. I don't see myself ever buying one, I really thought the C5 was bad enough what with its gigantic rear end, but it's actually looking better and better to me. Sorry, I don't like the C6.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom