Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New carb/intake installed

78SilvAnniv

This past weekend Kenny installed the Edelbrock 1406 carb and 2101 intake.

He had been futzing with the old Q-jet for the last 14 months; too rich, too lean, never just right for my driving habits. Not to mention the darned choke...it was flat wore out and always hanging up and I had a constant fuel smell in the vehicle with windows down. We had even aquired an older carb to canibilize for parts and that didn't help the choke.
Heidi

Kenny here:
Completed the project on Sunday and there were only a few minor alterations needed. A trip to the local parts store yielded simply “ I can have that here for you on Tuesday…” ...but we (Heidi) couldn't wait, so I modified the throttle linkage to cable connection. Tapped the Linkage on the new carb, ¼ 20 tap, cut and threaded the stud from the Q-jet. “ Viola!”
I also had to fabricate a pin assembly for the trans kickdown. ¼ inch hot roll stock drilled and pinned for a pivot on that cable. (Neither of these were included in the install kit nor were they mentioned... I may have skimmed over them I have been known to do that.)
The instructions did say no adjustments would be necessary… Ha.. Boy was I surprised when she fired right up and we warmed up, checked for vacuum leaks then just drove her down the street…..

Oh yeah I had to modify the air cleaner base, needed to clip ½ an inch off of it for clearance….
Looks nice!
Kenny

Before:
gb.jpg

After:
ga.jpg

Me again:
Still have a bit of cleanup to do in the engine bay with routing, but she runs great. I don't have any puffs of blue out the pipes at startup, that farty blat!blat!blat! sound out the chambered exhaust is gone and so is the annoying buzz of my interior pieces.
I drove up to the store, several miles of hwy, and she runs great. No stalling, hesitation or stumbling. I did notice that I don't need as much pedal to go, so I imagine I'll be getting better gas mileage, too!
h

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom