Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New differential!! Need new speedo gears

Jake73

Corvette
1973 coupe
Thought I would see if anyone has had to do this. I had new rear diff. gears installed. Went from 3.08 to 3.55 with auto trans. I need to find the right driven gear for my speedometer to read correctly, I think. Ecklers and the sort carry them but how do I know which one is right there are about a dozen or so. Calculators say something about the tranny gear size to find the right driven gear along with tire size and rpm but I can not seem to find what a th400 has for gears that run the speedo. The speedometer seems to be running fast, I haven't had a chance to find out exactlly, showing I am going faster than I reall am. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Jake73

Corvette
1973 coupe
Thanks for the reply black 81 vette. I am still trying to find out what the stock drive gear for the TH400 is with the 3.08. That is the only info I am missing. Do I just need to look at what I actually have or is there a way to find out without taking thing apart to look? Thanks

A

aapple

Stock 400 trans w/3.55 rear takes a brown, 15 tooth drive gear, and a black, 40 tooth driven gear. ;)

Stock w/3.08 is 15/35

V

vmrod

Is there an O-ring or something that is supposed to go in there somewhere?

I put in a TCI transmission and had used my speedo gears in the tranny. The cable is all hooked up, and it leaks ever so slightly.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread, but figured since ya'll are working in the area...

Jake73

Corvette
1973 coupe
vmrod, you might check somewhere like ecklers or the like. I am sure there is a seal but only for the 4 speeds for 77's. 68-75 have seals for the autos but I am not sure for the 76 on up. It looks like 77-82 years have a different cable or just one cable, the earlier years I think actually have 2 cables, an upper and lower. Not sure if this helps or not.

LanceB

Corvette
I have the 400 turbo and 3.55 gears, does it make a difference what tires? I have 255/60/15's.

CFI-EFI

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1984 Crossfire
thought i would see if anyone has had to do this. I had new rear diff. Gears installed. Went from 3.08 to 3.55 with auto trans. I need to find the right driven gear for my speedometer to read correctly, i think. Ecklers and the sort carry them but how do i know which one is right there are about a dozen or so. Calculators say something about the tranny gear size to find the right driven gear along with tire size and rpm but i can not seem to find what a th400 has for gears that run the speedo. The speedometer seems to be running fast, i haven't had a chance to find out exactlly, showing i am going faster than i reall am. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
you will need to replace the red, 17 tooth drive gear with a grey 15 tooth drive gear part number [size=-1]8642620.you can keep the green,42 tooth driven gear.

Race on!!!
[/size]

Corvette
'67 Marina Blue Convertible
you will need to replace the red, 17 tooth drive gear with a grey 15 tooth drive gear part number [SIZE=-1]8642620.you can keep the green,42 tooth driven gear.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Race on!!![/SIZE]

This thread went dormant three years ago. :eyerole

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Win Both Corvettes!

Win Both Corvettes and Get Extra Bonus Tickets Now!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Dead Center Foundation

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Partners

Top Bottom