Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New engine idle issues (poss. cam related)

D

dfw81shark

I have a question that I think I have the answer, but want to cover my bases just in case..

I just finished the rebuild of my motor. Here's the short details:

89 Camaro Block
9.5:1 Flat Top Pistons
Edelbrock Performer RPM Roller Cam (234/238@.05, .525" lift, 112LSA)
Stock Camaro Hydraulic Roller Lifters
7.3" Pushrods
1.5:1 Roller Rockers
Edelbrock E-tec 200 Aluminum Vortec Heads (Think they are 2.02",1.6" with 64cc chambers)
Edelbrock Performer RPM Vortec Intake
Edelbrock Performer 750cfm Carbeurator / mech secondary
Serpentine belt drive with reverse flow water pump taken from the doner camaro

Built original Turbo 350 Transmission with stock torque converter

Hooker headers with sidepipes and spiral turbo mufflers (sounds awesome)

I had the transmission rebuilt when I got the car. Builder said it should handle 450-500hp or so. The lockup never worked and I never worried about it. I am running the stock stall converter. When I started this project I planned to put the 700R4 from the Camaro I bought into the car, but when the motor turned into much more power than originially planned, I decided to go back to the old 350 to avoid blowing up a PITA to install transmission. I don't think it matters, but I used the flexplate from the camaro as it is a 1-piece rear main motor.

So here's the issue (sorry I'm long-winded):

When you run the car in reverse or drive it idles at 600rpm or so (sounds great btw), but when you put it in park, the idle goes up to 2000rpm.
If you run the idle back down to 600-700rpm in park, and then put it in gear, the motor obviously dies.

I have some stumbling off idle until around 1800rpm when the motor really starts accellerating. Makes for some hairy stoplight exits because if you hit the gas just wrong it dies. I turned the accellerator pump on the carb to the highest setting to try and fix this- it is better but not at the very lowest RPMs (600-1200 or so). Up high, it runs very very nice.

This is a cam vaccuum issue right? So is this one of the reasons to use a higher-rpm stall converter? I wouldn't have thought Edelbrock would sell something too vaccuum-demanding like that as my impression of them is not of an all-out race company. I see them as selling street products.

Thanks for any insight to this issue,

Michael

I don't think its stall converter related. Sound like something needs adjusting or a vaccum leak.

What does it idle at cold? Do you still have an ECM?

Jim

Could be a vaccuum leak. I'll check the lines when I get home. Idles are the same whether cold or warm. The ECM is still in the car, but is not being used.

Start with the Vaccum lines. You should have a few...for headlights, brake booster, etc. Do you have a PCV and EGR???

Are you using a MAP sensor? I suspect not since the computer is not in use...

Jim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom