Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New Flowmasters

rdgfx3

Corvette
2008 Silver Coupe
I had new Flowmasters installed on my 90 L98.
I have lost my low end torque.I can't squeal the tires on take off anymore.
These Flowmasters are marketed as specifically made for the Corvette.
Any comments or suggestions?

Really? I've never heard of that before. I'm assuming you've got an automatic. From what I understand, the inlet size on the Flowmasters for the '90 is the same as stock.....2.25". The only thing that I can think of is that since the pipe size is the same, the only change is a free flowing muffler that creates less backpressure but a frees up a few more horsepower. The backpressure of your stock system should create a little more torque than a free flowing muffler....that's where you were getting your tire spin. With less backpreesure now, you'll lose a little torque......but it still shouldn't be that noticable. Your rear end gears will make a difference too. Do you have the 2.59's?

Best of luck,

Jay

Yes,I have the automatic but I have the 2.79 gears.
It was noticeable the second I drove off.I'm certain the reduction in backpressure is the culprit.

Unfortunately the shop welded the 'Masters on so I can't play slip on/slip off to experiment with different mufflers.:(

Just curious......do you feel a little more power throughout the RPM band?

Jay

Hmmmm...Not particularly.The top end has picked up of course.
Latest high speed:144 mph,decided that was fast enough and backed off.
I would rather get to 0 to 60 quickly than to go 144 mph.
0 to 30 takes an eternity at this time.

Have you ever considered a gear swap? This was the most noticeable mod I ever made to my previous '85 Vette. Not only could it smoke the tires throughout all of first gear, it chirped 2nd gear every time:D

Jay

I have Flowmasters on my 90-6 speed. I love the way they sound. They are occassionally too loud, but what the heck a corvette is supposed to be a mean machine.

I actually noticed an overall improvement after we installed the Flowmasters, and then an even greater improvement after we fixed my clogged converters. The car seems to be much faster (no track times to verify) taking off from red lights. Plus it sounds soooo cool. :cool

Try looking at your converters, they might be clogged and need to be replaced. Best of luck to you!

Nikki--69MyWay's better 1/2

Clogged converters ?
Such an animal didn't cross my mind.
How would I check for that condition?

There are a couple of ways to check. Raise the car, get underneath it and rap on the two pre-cats with a rubber hammer or your fist. Listen for anything to rattle. You can unbold the rear y-pipe and look up the back of the center one. That is what we did and found the center Cat broken up and working its way into the rear y pipe.

Your technician can perform a temperature drop test.

If you have a lot of miles, or have ever put any strange additives in the tank, you might want to take a good look at them. Plus, if the car did not get much louder with the flowmasters installed, you might have a clogg.

Someone told me that Borla was really a bear to install. Anyone have any feedback on that? Also, Borla is extremely expensive which I believe makes many shy away from them.

I've heard a TriFlow on a ZR-1 before and that can be described with one word: intimidating!

BullWinkle said:
Someone told me that Borla was really a bear to install. Anyone have any feedback on that? Also, Borla is extremely expensive which I believe makes many shy away from them.

I've heard a TriFlow on a ZR-1 before and that can be described with one word: intimidating!

I am thinking about going with the Borla's on the ZR. The only thing I'm not impressed with is the 2 3/4" inlet size on the pipe. I'm looking at installing a full 3" system on the car soon and would like the mufflers to also be 3"
I've been looking in Magnaflows. They offer some nice looking 3" polished race muflers......

Jay

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom