Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New Front Suspension

Corvette
1981Dark Blue Metallic & 2004 conv. magnetic red
I had the front suspension replaced and it is such a pleasure to drive the blue beauty, not that it wasn't before but it sure is different. Before it was like driving a boat on rough water, always steering to keep her straight but now she is going right down the middle of the road.

WOW I'm a happy camper

Chuck:D

What did you have done, and how much did it cost? I may see myself doing it in the not too distant future. I am trying a front end alignment fist.

I bought a rubber front suspension kit from Riks Corvette, also new coils springs and shocks, parts were about $380 and had them installed. with the the front end alignment total about $850. The Vette now is about 4-5 inches higher off the road. The mechanic said that when the last control arm bushing were installed they were tightened while the car was on the lift, this created a problem when the car was lowered the bushing twisted as weight was put on the front end. The car needs to have the wheels on the the floor with weight on them then tighten the control arm nuts, the bushing will last a lot longer.

It was worth every penny to have this done. Drives like a dream.

Chuck

Thanks for the G2. I will see if the FE alignment is enough to make it pass the road test.

The mechanic said that when the last control arm bushing were installed they were tightened while the car was on the lift, this created a problem when the car was lowered the bushing twisted as weight was put on the front end. The car needs to have the wheels on the the floor with weight on them then tighten the control arm nuts, the bushing will last a lot longer.

I have heard this alot before but I always use urethane bushings. I clamp the cross shaft in the vise, tighten the bolts on the well greased bushings then move the A arm up and down while the cross shafts remains clamped in the vise. The bushings move freely with no binding, certainly no slope but no twisting.
The bushings have a sleeve next to the cross shaft, then the bushing, another sleeve pressed in the A arm. I don't see how I want the bushing acting as a damper by twisting every time the A arm is flexed. To me this bushing should not bind in any way and it should allow free movement of the A arm but still have no play.
I have done them about a dozen times and always tighten in the vise, move it through a number of up and down cyles testing for binding then put on the car.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom