Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New Garage Floor...help!

R

Roadfrog

Moving into a new pad. The garage floor appears to be stained, not painted. I want to epoxy the floor. Does the stain need to be removed first and how is it done? What other prep work needs to be done? Thanks, RF

Whatever coating is on there now needs to be removed, or the new epoxy won't be able to bond to the concrete substrate; the only sure way to create a proper surface for a permanent epoxy bond is to have it steel shot-blasted. Look for an outfit in your area like HomePro Floor Coatings ( www.homeprofloors.com ) that has one of those machines. It shot-blasts the floor and vacuums up the shot as it goes along.
:beer

I used the kits of epoxy from "Home Depot". Although I had concrete floors that were only 3 years old the kit provides a video that tells you how to prep the floor. There is also a test that they have you peform before you use the stuff. This test is for previously painted or sealed floors. Epoxy is the way to go!

I saw those kits at the Home Depot. How did that work out for you?

Dave and Bob,

The kits were $60.00 each. I have a 20 x 24' garage. I had about a third of a gallon left over from each kit. I only did half of the floor at a time cause it has a 6 or 7 day waiting period for the floor to harden enough for the weight of a car. It was worth the wait. They give you these little specs that you through in as your putting the stuff down...don't be afraid to use as much as you want, they give you plenty. Really makes the floor look like one piece tile. Make sure you get the garage floor and not the basement floor stuff.....they both look the same. The basement floor stuff is a little cheaper....I like that also....keeps everything dust free. Oil, anti-freeze, trans fluid and all the other lifebloods of the car wipe up like water. Mine is not quite a year old, looks like it was just put down.....really tough!

Thankyou. Definitely looks like a possibility.

I just did my floor about 3 weeks ago and it sounds just like yours. I bought 2 gal. of muriadic acid for about $3.50 ea and 2 of the garage epoxy coverings at $32.50 ea from Lowes. Put the acid down with a brush (rubber gloves and eye protection a must) and let it sit for 20 minutes. This etches your concrete floor and removed all of my hard old stains. Hose off and let dry. The next day I applied the epoxy with a roller let it dry overnite and put down the second epoxy coat. It takes about 48 hrs to harden and a week to cure for hard traffic but it was worth it. The floor is beautiful now and spills clean up easiliy. My garage is about the same size as Robertwav1.

How has the coating been withstanding tire lift off? Anybody have any problems, or have things improved with these products.

vetzs, if you mean hot tires taking off paint, my epoxy has withstood that very well. No problems. Still like the results.

One drawback! Don't try and use ramps on the surface....too too slippery. I had to anchor a stop in front of them to stop this from happening. Something removable works just fine. I have a few gashes in the floor from this mistake. The stuff is actually very strong.

I used epoxy on my floor.......but just to be sure...I also bought clear vinyl runners(used to protect hardwood floors). Not the best pic......but you can get an idea of how it looks.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom