Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New Glitch... Help..!! Any Ideas ????

Viet Nam Vett

Corvette
65 BB 502 Cp /MSD ATOMIC EFI/ 2009-HUMMER H2
I keep running into little Glitches..Like.....aaahhh How do you remove the Throttle lever in the engine compartment with the body on and the motor in...DoooooH..!!!!
Seems I have a new problem to solve here...the stock old SB lever bangs into the intake on the 502. I don't have enough throw to open the holley all the way. After checking LIC Section 28.. it shows a lever for the 427 and 327 .. Anyone ever changed out a lever with the motor in the car??

Seems I over looked this little (PITA) item...!!!

Or should I get the cut off wheel and go for a new pedal and cable assembly...?

Or....is there a better way to deal with this..?

All Ideas welcome..

:mad

Viet Nam Vett said:
I keep running into little Glitches..Like.....aaahhh How do you remove the Throttle lever in the engine compartment with the body on and the motor in...DoooooH..!!!!
Seems I have a new problem to solve here...the stock old SB lever bangs into the intake on the 502. I don't have enough throw to open the holley all the way. After checking LIC Section 28.. it shows a lever for the 427 and 327 .. Anyone ever changed out a lever with the motor in the car??

Seems I over looked this little (PITA) item...!!!

Or should I get the cut off wheel and go for a new pedal and cable assembly...?

Or....is there a better way to deal with this..?

All Ideas welcome..

:mad

I am not sure what configutration the lever is but on earlier Chevy's they had a mounting hole in the lever and a bolt and nut to tighten the lever to the shaft. I had to take mine off and then cut the lever and reweld it to recurve the profile to get full throttle on my race car (non-Vette but Chevy). I don't know if that would do it on yours. You might be better off to go with a cable type throttle set up and new accelerator pedal assy. You could get this from an older chevy in the boneyard and adapt it to your needs. They make mounting brackets to hold the cable housing or you could just use a modified stock one. Maybe some pics would give us a better idea of the extent of the problem.

Randy

vette-dude said:
I am not sure what configutration the lever is but on earlier Chevy's they had a mounting hole in the lever and a bolt and nut to tighten the lever to the shaft. I had to take mine off and then cut the lever and reweld it to recurve the profile to get full throttle on my race car (non-Vette but Chevy). I don't know if that would do it on yours. You might be better off to go with a cable type throttle set up and new accelerator pedal assy. You could get this from an older chevy in the boneyard and adapt it to your needs. They make mounting brackets to hold the cable housing or you could just use a modified stock one. Maybe some pics would give us a better idea of the extent of the problem.

Randy

Thanks Randy,
I had already checked Lokar for pedal and cable assemblies. The hassle is getting to that nut and bolt on the lever in the tunnel. I'd have to remove that old pedal assem anyway.

I spoke with Rich Lagase on the phone a while ago and he kinda steered me in the correct direction.There are different levers. On the 65 the top of the lever is bent forward...on the 66-67 BB & SB the top of the lever is bent to he rear.

Rich used the smaller hole on his 67 or lower hole on the holley 850 which changes the throw ratio on the lever to only about 1 1/4" . I can squeak out 1 1/2 " on my lever as it sits. The top larger hole requires 2 1/4" of travel for full throttle opening.

So If I use the lower smaller holl on the holley I can get by. This will increase the sensitivity of the pedal but that's no problem.

So...rather then pull the body or cut fiber glass to gain entrance to the nut and bolt...I'll go with the lower hole.....Unless some one has a better idea..

This is the Corvette Action Center.... Some one always has a better idea...:L

I tried the upper hole at one point and could not get full throttle engagement. So I went back to the lower hole and all is well. As you have noted the gas pedal is somewhat short-throw and sensitive but it works.

carbproject03.jpg

You might be able to add an extension arm on the carb throttle lever. You could make a bracket that screws to the throttle arm and extend it toward the front of the engine and that would give you the longer throw I think. Just another idea.

Randy

paul79 said:
I tried the upper hole at one point and could not get full throttle engagement. So I went back to the lower hole and all is well. As you have noted the gas pedal is somewhat short-throw and sensitive but it works.

carbproject03.jpg

Thanks for the reply Paul,

I forgot your Vette is an Auto Tranny. I was looking and saw two rods connected and it stumped me for a second till I remembered it was Auto.
Can't tell from the pic ..but is the rod on the pedal lever curved towards the front...( The one connecting to the Carb at the top Small hole).

:beer

vette-dude said:
You might be able to add an extension arm on the carb throttle lever. You could make a bracket that screws to the throttle arm and extend it toward the front of the engine and that would give you the longer throw I think. Just another idea.

Randy

Food for thought ...Thanks Randy. :beer

sorry to hear of your problem Mark. i have confidence you will get it worked out though.

if nothing else, just call Rob and tell him to get the winch ready as you are bringing the car back and pulling the body back off! ;LOL

besides, I could go for another one of those good hogies!

BarryK said:
sorry to hear of your problem Mark. i have confidence you will get it worked out though.

if nothing else, just call Rob and tell him to get the winch ready as you are bringing the car back and pulling the body back off! ;LOL

besides, I could go for another one of those good hogies!

Nope ..it's staying on....I don't think his winch could take another full body load.

I'll just re-engineer the dam thing..maybe I could do one of those C-5 deals ..you know throttle by wire......

Throttle lever.........!!! We Don't need No Stinken Throttle Lever!!!!

just don't hook the throttle back up......... that will improve your fuel economy also
:L

I'm using an Edelbrock right now but with the same configuration as the Holley. I think this pic shows the curve of the upper throttle rod. And yes the lower rod is for the Powerglide kickdown.

kickdown02.jpg

IMG_2766-600.jpg

Mark,

Original L-71/435 rod. Holley 850. Top hole using "very" expensive GM bushing. I do need to lighten up on the return spring as I got a foot cramp several times keeping it on the rug during my 1,600+ mile journey. :gap

67HEAVEN said:
IMG_2766-600.jpg

Mark,

Original L-71/435 rod. Holley 850. Top hole using "very" expensive GM bushing. I do need to lighten up on the return spring as I got a foot cramp several times keeping it on the rug during my 1,600+ mile journey. :gap

Thanks Bob...But what I really need to see is the arm (Leaver) that the rod is attached too at the firewall end. The one sticking out of the Tunnel that pulls on the rod to the carb. Is that arm (Leaver) stock..and is it curved back towards the fire wall ..or straight up at the top.

Thanks... And I know your busy answering posts..thanks again..no rush on the pic...the next 5 seconds is fine....:L

Viet Nam Vett said:
Thanks Bob...But what I really need to see is the arm (Leaver) that the rod is attached too at the firewall end. The one sticking out of the Tunnel that pulls on the rod to the carb. Is that arm (Leaver) stock..and is it curved back towards the fire wall ..or straight up at the top.

Thanks... And I know your busy answering posts..thanks again..no rush on the pic...the next 5 seconds is fine....:L

Stock.
accelerator-linkage-400.jpg

Soon enough? ;)

paul79 said:
I'm using an Edelbrock right now but with the same configuration as the Holley. I think this pic shows the curve of the upper throttle rod. And yes the lower rod is for the Powerglide kickdown.

Thanks Paul...I guess I'm not making myself clear....I need to see the arm or Leaver that pulls the rod at the carb end... Not the rod at the carb..:D

In other words.. the arm sticking out of the tunnel that pulls on the rod..I need to see the top of the arm

Thanks Bob..........

You Da Man..... :upthumbs

paul79 said:
Looks like this one has been solved.

Yeah..you sound Like the Long Ranger... Thanks for your help Paul...That pic Bob Posted is what I needed to see so I can order the correct one. Ther are 3 or 4 different Arms..depending on the motor installed and the year of the Corvette. Since Bob's car was and oridinal 435 HP Solid Lifter car ..that arm is made just for that set up. He is using it with the 502 which of course is the same motor I'm using.

So..I'll order that arm..

Thanks Again for your help..

Well, even a simple 327/300 throttle arm is too enemic for you fellows;) with the big motors. Glad things are coming together!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom