Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New Headlight Bulbs

Rebelrob

Corvette
1982 Collectors Edition
My low beams on this 82 are really dim. Very hard to see unless I switch to high beams. From what I can tell they are halogen sealed bulbs. Now did they come with halogen from the factory?
My driver side light seems to point more towards the right side of the road. Is there a directional adjustment?

Wondering if replacing these with brand new halogen sealed lenses would make a difference in the brightness. I figured if they are original the bulbs may have dimmed/worn over time.
Also does anybody know if there are some brighter 5001/5006 styles out their such as sylvania silver stars. I did not see any at the auto part store or walmart.

The H5006XV from Autozone are halogen, my 81 has four head lamps, low beam lamps are actually dual element lamps, one element being used at low beam and the second element is used along with the single element high beam lamp. bottom line at high beam you get four lamps each one at 35 watts of power; a total of 140 watts at high verus 70 watts at low beam. Worthy of note is that the low beam lamp 2nd element is like new compared to the low beam element that is used each time head lights normally on and are more worn / dimmer and are actually less than the rated 70 watts. This may be relevant if you 82 has four lamp config.
If you are considering some of these new special blue white lamp; check Consumer Digest; their test didn't prove that these lamp provided any better vision that std halogen lamps. Hope this helps!!

I see... ya know I didnt think about the dual element low beam light set up. Heck maybe thats why they are so dang bright on high beams. Actually very surprised at how bright they were. But the low beams need to be replaced. Yes, I have 4 head lamp set up.
Thanks for the education.

R

The H5006XV from Autozone are halogen, my 81 has four head lamps, low beam lamps are actually dual element lamps, one element being used at low beam and the second element is used along with the single element high beam lamp. bottom line at high beam you get four lamps each one at 35 watts of power; a total of 140 watts at high verus 70 watts at low beam. Worthy of note is that the low beam lamp 2nd element is like new compared to the low beam element that is used each time head lights normally on and are more worn / dimmer and are actually less than the rated 70 watts. This may be relevant if you 82 has four lamp config.
If you are considering some of these new special blue white lamp; check Consumer Digest; their test didn't prove that these lamp provided any better vision that std halogen lamps. Hope this helps!!

Check out this article . . .

. . . at Mad Electrical:

Catalog

Mike

P.S. Even though the link only says "Catalog", it does go to a 2 page article with tech info and photos.

I got a new set of 4 from autozone. Sylvania Xtravision.

Will the headlights need re-adjustment when you replace the bulbs?
Not sure if its just mine, but my driver side low beam points to the right. Does not seem normal. My left side of the car is poorly lit.

Thx,
Rob

The correct head lamp alignment is with the left lamp striaght ahead, but not to high up to avoid blinding on-going motorist and the right lamp set off slightly to the right to lighten up the shoulder of the road way, where people may be standing / walking.
When installing new lamps insure that the indexing tabs (small square protrusions) on the rear of the lamp body are fully seated in the corresponding notches in the mounting ring, then the outer ring cover fits correctly / evenly all the way around. Lamps should be mounted with the molded printing on the lamp face up right so you can read same from the front.
Texas DMV may have specific lamp aming requirements, my shop manual states that lamp alignment should be check when lamps are replaced or yearly to maintain correct adjustment.

Thanks for the info. I will install tomorrow and adjust tomorrow.
whats the best way to get the light panels up but without the lights turned on? Push them up manually with your hand?
thx, ..

R

Thanks for the info. I will install tomorrow and adjust tomorrow.
whats the best way to get the light panels up but without the lights turned on? Push them up manually with your hand?
thx, ..

R
My 81 has a manual by-pass valve, a small round knob located along bottom edge of the driver instrument panel. With the engine running, gently pull down on the knob (extends ~ 1 inch), the head light doors should open giving access to replace head lamps. My shop manual doesn't cover it, I found out about it years by chance during some TS work, wondered what it did, pulled it out and HL doors openrd.

Headlight Improvements

Replaced original sealed beams with halogen sealed beams in my 78. Much better. Then I modified the headlight electrical circuit by adding standard automative relays to control on-off and high-low beam switching. Now the high current goes directly from the alternator/battery to the headlights rather than through the in-dash headlight switch. Results: Even better headlight brightness, plus increased in-dash headlight switch life since the switch sees only the very small current needed to actuate the relays. Here's a link to a good posting on another forum that discusses several headlight options and includes a wiring diagram for installing the relays:

Need Brighter Headlights

Here's the relays I installed:

Headlight_Relays.jpg

Halogen sealed beams combined with the relays make a very worthwhile AND low cost set of improvements to the performance, safety and reliability of your headlight system.

Jerry
78IndyPace

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom