Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New......Help!

daxray

View attachment 10784

View attachment 10785

View attachment 10786

View attachment 10787

View attachment 10788

Considering purchasing a 96 from a dealer in the North East. I'm outta State (Texas) and will have the vehicle proffesionally inspected prior to purchase.

Dealer has sent pictures of vehcle and at my request sent pics of the undercarriage. Undercarriage shows some rust! This concerns me because of weather in the NE and the stuff they put on the roads. We obviously don't have this problem in Texas.

Please help! Open to all advice and thanks!

DaxRay

From here, it just looks like normal surface rust.

:w

Welcome to the :CAC

Will that surface rust exist from any 10yr old car through normal wear and tear in addition to just everyday rain?

will check out......but found a pretty good deal that would be foolish to pass-up. i don't want to be foolish and buy a rusty ol' Vette though! anyone else have input on rust on pics attached? thanks!

I'm from New England and have a 96 my car doesn't have any rust. Every peice of steel on that car is rusting. I would never buy a car without seeing it in person just my $.02.......

My 85 is a Texas car, and it looks much better than that.:beer The picture of the tranny bugs me for some reason BTW.

Unless of course you're getting a hellava deal (including the transporter fee $$$)

I've heard that stuff from coastal southern areas is just as bad as northeast, with the high humidity and proximity to saltwater. Welcome and good luck!

That rust look pretty much typical for a daily driver in the salt belt. A little TLC and undercoat spray will take care of that. I'd be more concerned about a million other things though. No way will I ever buy from pics.

as stated in my first post, i will definately have an outside inspection performed prior to purchasing any vehicle!

hey, all you guys are up north.....an FYI, all the good low mile C4's are up north. rarely does a clean and low mile C4show up as a bargain in Texas. also been looking in CA, FL, AZ too. how come you all get the great selections?

seems like mixed feelings regarding the rust!

Rust ? You won't find a car in this area that don't look like that underneath.
Up here in the north , most of us don't get to drive them yr around. That contributes to the low milage.

Glenn

I bought a 38k mile LT4 from a dealer in OH (originally an Indiana car) in Nov 2005 and my undercarriage looks NOTHING like that... there's no rust at all. I would steer clear.

I am in NH. Where is the car? Like someone stated up here alot of guys do not get to drive their cars year round so the mileage stays low. That car looks normal for up here. I wouldn't even worry about that bit of surface rust.

:beer

I live in northern ct and to me that car looks like it's see a few winter storms salt causes a mess like that . I found my vette on e-bay, a 96 aqua blue metallic LT4 Out of fla. I got to say I could have not found a better deal. I don't trust dealerships Like someone said have somebody in that area look at it for you

I live in NYS and the undercarriage of my '90 is nowhere near that rusty. It looks like it saw some harsh weather. Here salt is used on the roads thru-out the winter and in Spring the roads are white with salt residue. I always wait until the first heavy rainstorm to take out my Vette so the roads are washed off. How good can the deal be? I'd say continue looking and caveat emptor!

Another thought, but maybe rust is rust.................

My buds Corvette (pristine top and bottom) was stored in a barn for 1 year. It had never seen a salty road! When he drove it out, after 1 year, he noticed rust identical to what you show. We believe it was due to a damp earthen floor. :ugh He had covered the car but had not thought about the damp floor. We cleaned up the rust with power wire brushes, finishing with satin black Rustoleum. It took a couple of days but when we were through it looked better than new. He's won several awards with it. I don't think amateur judges, and admirers in general, look underneath, but if they did they would see a like-new apprearance there too. :)

For all who were curious......the deal is a 96, LT1, automatic, little less than 30k, blk/gray, a little wear on drivers seat, exterior very pristine, new tires, 2 owner, most options, glass roof.......$14,700.........that rust is still buggin' me though!

compyelc4 makes a good point. Up here sitting for extended periods of time where there is moisture will make that rust. The deal sounds good.

Where is the car?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom