Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New member, first time Corvette owner

bandit1977

Hi Guys,
Been lurking for a while now on this great forum, doing a lot of reading and researching here before I bought my first C4 Corvette.
I'm located in Australia and have been into 2nd gen Pontiac Firebird's since 1988, I own a 1971 Firebird, a 1977 Special Edition Trans Am and now the newest addition to the fleet a 1988 C4.
I've always liked the C4's and decided to start seriously looking for one earlier this year, but I was only interested in original LHD cars, not converted RHD cars.
Looked at a few LHD cars locally but they were pretty average so the hunt was on in the USA via the internet.
I wanted a 1987 or 1988 coupe in excellent original condition, as low mileage as possible with as many option as possible.
I ended up buying an 1988 coupe in Florida, Red on red, auto, 45k miles with quite a few options.
Had Matt Clarke from SherMatt International handle the transaction for me and arrange the shipping from Florida to Los Angeles and then onto Melbourne, Australia.
Finally got my car 2 weeks ago, very happy with it, even got to see it come out of the container which was good.
Had a few minor issues with it, which I'll go into to detail soon.
This car is a whole new ball game to me, so I've got a lot of learning to do
Got a few questions to ask, thought I'd say hi first.....looking forward to learning from you guys.:)
Regards,
Ken D

:welcome

Wow, some interesting common ground here...

I had a 1978 Trans Am (Smokey) back in '78. Loved that car. 403 Olds engine (CA car), WS6 suspension, Black velour interior (hey, it was the late '70's).

I currently have a 1988 35th Anniversary Edition C4 for sale, and I'm talking with a guy from Australia about a possible purchase. He too will be taking the car back to Australia after driving it here for a year or more (he's heading back home in 2014 - I understand he can avoid some taxes if he takes ownership here first). I've had some interesting discussions with him about Left-Hand drive vehicles going to a Right-Hand drive country.

I spent some time in Sydney many years ago. Beautiful place. Would love to go back.

Good luck with your C4.

Jim

Hi Ken!
Welcome to the :CAC and congrats on your first Corvette!
I don't know if I'd have the patience to wait for my Vette to be shipped cross country and then across the world to me! I'd be bonkers waiting for it. We have a couple of members you should get to know who share your interest in Firebirds so I'll get in touch with them and send them a link to this thread.

And by the way, here's a thread posted by Tim which you may find interesting: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/off-topic/131877-help-save-part-gm-history.html

You're in luck because we have some of the finest, most knowledgeable people in the world here and they'll help you with any issue you may find. :thumb

Good luck!
And like 6 Shooter said, share some pix when your able! We'd love to see your Vette, as well as the other cars in your collection. We promise not to drool on them. :L

:wJane Ann

G'day, Ken!

... We have a couple of members you should get to know who share your interest in Firebirds so I'll get in touch with them and send them a link to this thread.

And by the way, here's a thread posted by Tim which you may find interesting: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/off-topic/131877-help-save-part-gm-history.html...

:w As Jane Ann mentioned, I'm also a Firebird and Corvette owner; but it looks like mine are one generation newer than yours in both cases ('89 Firebird Formula; '98 & '04 C5 Corvettes). But I always did like the First- and Second-Generation 'Birds too!

Spent some time Down Under on three separate occasions; had the opportunity to visit Melbourne back around 1991, but was unable to make it back on subsequent visits to Oz. Enjoyed myself no matter what part of the country I was in, though! :thumb

It's a shame you couldn't have traveled here to drive your new C4 across the United States before shipping it home to Australia; that would have been epic!

Welcome. Please let us know how owning a Vette down under goes...

Welcome onto the boards there...

Get FSM from e - Bay, a multimeter, and a digital cam to post pics for diagnostics (and for show, of course!)...

Yet Another..

Vette and Firebird owner here! Seems like that is a winning combination!! Welcome to the forums :thumb

Attachments

• VetteNbird1.jpg
    VetteNbird1.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 136
Wow, some interesting common ground here...

I had a 1978 Trans Am (Smokey) back in '78. Loved that car. 403 Olds engine (CA car), WS6 suspension, Black velour interior (hey, it was the late '70's).

I currently have a 1988 35th Anniversary Edition C4 for sale, and I'm talking with a guy from Australia about a possible purchase. He too will be taking the car back to Australia after driving it here for a year or more (he's heading back home in 2014 - I understand he can avoid some taxes if he takes ownership here first). I've had some interesting discussions with him about Left-Hand drive vehicles going to a Right-Hand drive country.

I spent some time in Sydney many years ago. Beautiful place. Would love to go back.

Good luck with your C4.

Jim

Hi Jim,
Yeah my Trans Am is an ex Californian car as well so it's got the 403, black vinyl interior, original paint (which is showing it's age), original decals etc, only 80k miles on the clock.
I blame Smokey and the Bandit for corrupting my young impressionable mind back in the late 70's and making me vow to get my own S+B Trans Am someday.
To be honest I haven't driven it for probably 12 months, it's disgustingly dusty at the moment and feeling somewhat neglected now that the new boy is in town.

Regarding the 35th Anniversary C4, yes if I recall correctly he needs to own and have the car titled in his name for a least 12 months prior to import into Australia, this then entitles him to bring in it as a private import. This means different (lower) import duties and other concessions.
Yes driving a LHD car in a RHD country can be 'interesting'.....I've been doing it for nearly 10 years now with my 71 Firebird without any problems.
To be honest I don't even really think about it when I'm driving, I just jump in go, but some people can't handle steering from the wrong side.

Ken

Hi Ken!
Welcome to the :CAC and congrats on your first Corvette!
I don't know if I'd have the patience to wait for my Vette to be shipped cross country and then across the world to me! I'd be bonkers waiting for it. We have a couple of members you should get to know who share your interest in Firebirds so I'll get in touch with them and send them a link to this thread.

And by the way, here's a thread posted by Tim which you may find interesting: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/off-topic/131877-help-save-part-gm-history.html

You're in luck because we have some of the finest, most knowledgeable people in the world here and they'll help you with any issue you may find. :thumb

Good luck!
And like 6 Shooter said, share some pix when your able! We'd love to see your Vette, as well as the other cars in your collection. We promise not to drool on them. :L

:wJane Ann

Hi Jane Ann,
Yep it drove me bonkers waiting for it and worrying about it whilst in transit, and hoping that it would arrive undamaged.
I passed the time surfing the internet (especially YouTube) for anything C4 related, which really only made the waiting even worse!
I read Tim's post...hmmm a bit worrying...hope I don't face the same problem with any of my 3 in the garage, I've had that bulkhead connector apart on my 71 Firebird, thankfully I didn't have any damage like that.
Will post pics of the Vette and the birds as soon as I figure out how to do it.

Ken

:w As Jane Ann mentioned, I'm also a Firebird and Corvette owner; but it looks like mine are one generation newer than yours in both cases ('89 Firebird Formula; '98 & '04 C5 Corvettes). But I always did like the First- and Second-Generation 'Birds too!

Spent some time Down Under on three separate occasions; had the opportunity to visit Melbourne back around 1991, but was unable to make it back on subsequent visits to Oz. Enjoyed myself no matter what part of the country I was in, though! :thumb

It's a shame you couldn't have traveled here to drive your new C4 across the United States before shipping it home to Australia; that would have been epic!

Hi Tim,
Glad to hear you enjoyed your trips down here, Melbourne has changed quite a lot (gotten bigger) since you were last here in 1991.
More than happy to show you or any of your countryman some Aussie hospitality should you make it back sometime in the future.
I would have loved to drive the 88 across from Florida to L.A., but work and family comittments meant that couldn't happen.
I've visted the USA 2 times, 1992 and 1999, hoping to visit again soon.
I love the 3rd and 4th gen birds as well, always had a soft spot for the 87-92 GTA's and I'm currently looking at a framed 30th anniversary T/A picture above my PC as I type this.

Ken

Welcome. Please let us know how owning a Vette down under goes...

Will do Bob, just as soon as I get the chance to drive it!

Ken

Welcome onto the boards there...

Get FSM from e - Bay, a multimeter, and a digital cam to post pics for diagnostics (and for show, of course!)...

FSM is/has been number 1 on my list of must haves before I even got the car, the multimeter and digital camera I already have.
In fact the multimeter has already been used to diagnose a fault with the car, the FSM will definately help.
Pics on the way soon......

Ken

Vette and Firebird owner here! Seems like that is a winning combination!! Welcome to the forums :thumb

Yeah I think so too!....I've got room for more Birds and Vette's, do you think I've got a problem?...:L

Ken

Last edited:
... More than happy to show you or any of your countryman some Aussie hospitality should you make it back sometime in the future... I've visted the USA 2 times, 1992 and 1999, hoping to visit again soon...

I'll take you up on that if I make it back to Oz! If you hit the States, be sure to let me know if you're in my neck of the woods so I can reciprocate! Generally speaking at the moment, that's Lexington, KY (~96% of the time), Pittsburgh, PA (~3% of the time), and San Antonio, TX (~1% of the time)! Within the next year, though, that's all likely to change (probably back in Texas for the bulk of my time)... Any more, even I need a map to keep track of where I am at any given time... :W

... I love the 3rd and 4th gen birds as well, always had a soft spot for the 87-92 GTA's and I'm currently looking at a framed 30th anniversary picture above my PC as I type this...

Yeah, to be honest, I like 'em all too. I don't think I'd replace mine with another though (even given the recent headaches with the bulkhead connector); the most collectible Third-Generation 'Birds seem to be:

1. One like mine -- '89-'92 5.0L TPI (LB9) with a manual transmission and the N10 dual exhaust; very few built, particularly in the Formula model.
  2. '89-'92 5.7L TPI (L98) with the N10 dual exhaust (only available with an automatic transmission).
  3. 1989 20th Anniversary Turbo Trans Am GTA.
But the Fourth-Generation 'Birds seem to be more desirable, probably because the last few model years were available with a version of the C5 Corvette's LS1 engine.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
As promised, a few pics of my 88 Vette.
These were just a few of the pics sent by the previous owner in Florida, and based on these pictures I thought the car was worth further investigation and ultimately ended up buying.
Haven't had a chance to take any pics of it here in Oz yet.

Ken

Attachments

• 1988 Corvette 002.jpg
    1988 Corvette 002.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 140
  • 1988 Corvette 005.jpg
    1988 Corvette 005.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 154
  • 1988 Corvette 009.jpg
    1988 Corvette 009.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 137
  • 1988 Corvette 011.jpg
    1988 Corvette 011.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 200
  • 1988 Corvette 015.jpg
    1988 Corvette 015.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 151
Oh, and a few pics of the birds as well....:)

Ken

Attachments

• IMG_0072r.jpg
    IMG_0072r.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0078r.jpg
    IMG_0078r.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 183
  • ta1.jpg
    ta1.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 166
  • ta2.jpg
    ta2.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 135
  • ta3.jpg
    ta3.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 180
  • ta4.jpg
    ta4.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 174
  • ta5.jpg
    ta5.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 147
Sharp looking hardware...

Nice 'Birds, Ken! Here are a few shots of mine:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 171
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG010.jpg
    IMG010.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG026.jpg
    IMG026.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 138
Welcome to CAC enjoy that Vette, I to went the T/A rout we had a GM dealership in my family Derrick Motor Co. in Union S.C. and sold Pontiac, Oldsmobile, and Opel. I owned a 74 and 78 T/A but I must say The Vette thing is where it's at. :happyanim:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom