Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New member here.. Please educate me!!!

When I first got the car, back in '01, and would be in city traffic, I felt the "skip shift" was down right dangerous. I almost got rear ended a couple of times, as I would start to accelerate from a traffic light, go for second, not get it, then fumble around to get fourth gear. In the meantime, the person behind me assumed I would continually accelerate..... So, I put in the skip shift eliminator, and life was good.

Welcome to CAC and congrats on your new ride. Looks great!

The 1 to 4 light comes on whenever the skip shift solenoid in the transmission is energized. It only energizes when starting in first gear and between 1500 to 2100 rpm. I might be off a little in the rpm but it is easy to verify by staying in first and watching the 1 to 4 light. It will go on and off as the rpm rises. There is no automatic diversion, it simply locks out 2nd and 3rd gear. If you shift before the 1500 rpm or aft. 2100 from first you will never have an issue with the system. I installed my bypass because I have this thing about the power of suggestion and not power to be forced to due something I might not feel like;). Since you are new to C5 I can strongly suggest you check if the car had the column lock recall done. Due a search on the column lock bypass, it might just save you from getting stranded and the car having to be flatbed to a dealer. C5 is a great car but it has it's share of problems. Most can be taken care of before they cause you great grief when least expected. The stripes were a styling option and yes you can fit 20's on the car but why would you wont to? With 20s the sidewalls are so thin a very little bump or pothole can course serious damage to the beautifull/expensive rims. There is a ton of writeup about it on the forums, just search and be ready to spend long time reading all the stuff. Enjoy your new ride and don't forget to wave:w

Thanks everyone!!!

Hey Leon, thanks for the link. I'm not mechanically inclined at all, so I'd be getting a mechanic to do the job for me. Is this something he can easily do without messing up something else??

The CAGS by-pass can be purchased from Mid-America Motorworks or Eckler's. It's an easy install. The by-pass allows you to "plug-in" both ends so dirt/debris won't damage the original plug. According to the manual the CAGS shifts from 1st to 4th when you're going less than 20 mph. So accelerate to 10-15 mph and shift. If you go to 4th you don't have the by-pass.

Thanks again guys. I did some driving and I'm sure the bypass hasn't been installed on my car, so I ordered it yesterday.. And I'm definitely looking into the steering column issue as well. I signed up with MyGMLink.com last night to get updates on all recalls, etc....

mine still has the cags installed I just drive around it when the solenoid pushes the shifter over I just push it up to 3rd I actually like it that way. I use 1-3-5 quite often around town skipping 2 and 4 all the time. Its my daily driver and has almost 110,000 miles on it. BTW it has a hurst instead of the stock shifter much tighter pattern.

Keep driving. I'm at 123k miles. ;)

I'm trying to catch up but the 68 Vert keeps calling me. :D
I'll be in Ambler just outside Philly next week at my sons house and may even venture into center city to black cat cigars so if you see a red vet with Ohio tags be sure to wave. ;LOL

*UPDATE*

I had the Skip-Shift eliminator installed today and I feel an instant difference when driving the car... Thanks for the info guys(and girls)!!!! :)

mine still has the cags installed I just drive around it when the solenoid pushes the shifter over I just push it up to 3rd I actually like it that way. I use 1-3-5 quite often around town skipping 2 and 4 all the time. Its my daily driver and has almost 110,000 miles on it. BTW it has a hurst instead of the stock shifter much tighter pattern.06-26-07 07:25 PM
The "1 to 4" light means you have to shift from first to fourth. You can not shift first to third if the celenoid is energized ( the light is on ). You might have the CAGS bypass installed and don't know it's there if you can shift to third. I do agree with the statment that it is easy to simply drive oraund it once you understand how it works. Regards, ZIG.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom