Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

S

Sean

Hello members, what a fantastic group. Its great everybody is exchanging info and offering there expertise. Ok here’s my post, I have recently become the proud new owner of a 96 Blk/Blk/Blk Conv LT4 6sp with 64K. I found this car at a dealers auction while looking for a SUV for my girlfriend. Even though it was coverd in silt, It stood out like a jewel amoung the homely SUV's Closer inspection unveiled a grands sport emblem on the throttle body and 6sp trans. That pretty much did it for me since I have been eyeing the 96 collector eddion cars beforeing seen this one. After a satisfying test drive and almost no inspection and 17,500 dollars later I drove it home. Car Fax shows it as a one owner lease return. It is fully loaded and has the code for soft ride suspension? Don’t know if this is good or bad. I cant say how much I love this car. But we got off to a ruff start. After getting it home and spending some time behind the wheel, I noticed the car makes a whirling noise when the clutch is disengaged. When engaged the sound goes away. I learned from the tech forum area that this could be the result of a dry or worn out input shaft bearing. Next disaster struck. One of the radiator tanks had split and probably had stopleak added to it at the auction house. So I removed the radiator flushed the system and had new tanks installed by a local shop. I reinstalled the radiator and took it for a test drive. While cruising along at 65mph the engine lost power and started making a horrible clunking sound. I immediately pulled off the fwy and shut it down. Turns out the plastic drain plug in the new tank had ejected itself and the radiator went completely dry. So much for trying to skimp on not buying a new radiator. I put a new plug in it and have been driving it this way for about a month now. But I have noticed two things, the cooling fans are not coming on and its running hot at 230F when idling for just a few minutes. Also today I noticed a faint lifter tick noise on one side of the engine. My experience with aluminum head engines is that the heads warp if overheated. Hopefully I did not hurt the tried and true LT1/LT4. I ordered a factory shop manual so I will troubleshoot the problem when the manual gets here. The clutch slips a tad bit so I am planning on replacing the clutch pack and input bearing at the same time. Any suggestions on clutch brands/types or diagnosing the cooling problem would be greatly appreciated. Also I am looking for a set of non-chrome saw tooth wheels to replace the peeling chrome ones it came with.

Triple Black . . .

Sounds like u got 1 nice LT4 and a Convert to boot . . . Enjoy !

Buy the Way . . . Welcome 2 :CAC

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

After I finished reading . . .

your thread, it sounds like you've had a few critters to deal with . . . but heck that's part of owning an aging corvette.

The clutch and temp issues have been discussed/talked about in several threads.

I've seen sawblades on e-bay from time to time . . .

6 Shooter

Sean,
Congrats on your LT4, sounds like it’s got a few things that need ironed out but that’s the case with just about any 8 year old car.

Part of getting the car 100% will be a bonding experience for you an your new acquisition, you’ll learn a lot about the car. I’ve found out that once you have the initial bugs worked out and you drive the car, C4’s are much more reliable than people give them credit for.

I purchased my LT4 used in 1998 with 15,500 miles on it, once I got the bugs worked out (egr valve, intake manifold gasket leak, failing water pump, and a few other minor things) the darn thing has been reliable as a Honda. It has not been in for ANY malfunctions since 1999 [that was the egr valve going kerr-pluy]. Just me doing most of my own routine servicing. I’m just over 50,000 miles now.

B17Crew
:w

Congrats on the car. The 230 degree coolant temperature is normal and that's when the fans come on. I think you guys use LT1 edit to turn the fans on sooner right? You can also put a couple bottles of Water Wetter in there to lower the temperatures.

Don't know if this applies to you LT guys, but I believe that you will hear a clicking noise near the injectors until the vehicle is warmed up.

Welcome Sean and congrats on your car. I've heard the ZF6 tranny is know for the slight whirring noise when the clutch is out mine does the same thing w/ only 14k miles. I'm no expert but I've been told it is normal and nothing to worry about. These cars do run warm. Mine averages 196 while moving and while sitting still for a few minutes it quickly heats up to 230. When it hits 230 the fans come on and it goes down to around 210-211 before the fans turn off and it will heat up again. If it keeps going past 230, your fans must not be coming on. If you run A/C fans will run continuously and cool it down. Hope this helps, Guy

Welcome, Sean. Congrats on your purchase! You shouldn't have any problem finding a nice set of sawblades. I also had peeling issues on the chrome sawblades that came on my car. I decided to go with silver powdercoated ZR-1's. They are available at great prices on the aftermarket. Just wanted to throw another option at ya :D

Welcome :CAC be sure to check and make sure you radiator is clean up under the car

Welcome aboard! I recently came on the forum myself with a blk/blk/blk LT4 vert. Only 244 made in this configuration. Sorry to hear of all the troubles you've had. Guess I've been lucky. JCS44

B17Crew said:
I purchased my LT4, once I got the bugs worked out (egr valve,) It has not been in for ANY malfunctions since 1999 [that was the egr valve going kerr-pluy]. :w
Hmmmmmm................very interesting since the LT4 does not have an EGR

FX GS said:
Hmmmmmm................very interesting since the LT4 does not have an EGR

FX GS,
Holy cow, you are right! This is an interesting one:

When my LT4 was new to me, the Service Engine Soon light came on in the center console. I had taking my car into the dealer as it was under warranty. Upon picking up my car, I was told that the EGR valve was replaced under my warranty.

Now this makes me wonder just what the heck they really did? ;shrug

I can remember the service manager telling me that they love warranty work. If I remember correctly, it was even on my repair order. Never the less, I haven’t had it to a dealer for problems since ’99.

B17Crew
:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom