Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New motor, tranny and rear end?

J

jdads2

Now that the interior is mostly completed, Just waiting for the door panels to come back from the leather upholstery guy and a new stereo. It's time to start the mechanical projects.

Looking for a crate engine, 330-350hp. I like the idea of having it done, because I know that I'll put at least that much into any block that I rebuild (and I'll get to keep my engine in storage incase I ever want to go back to stock). Coming with a warranty helps. Next will come the 700R4 tranny swap and new 3.55 gears.

Looking for some input from you folks on any good dealers to use for the engine. I'll get the tranny from bowtie overdrives.

I plan on replacing the rear gears when I repair the rear wheel bearings...sounds like fun!!!

I remember when I bought the car and thinking all I would do would be put in new rugs, tune up the engine and a quick paint job. Turns out I can't stand the thought of my wife's 67 Camaro being faster than my car.

Thanks for the input,
Dave

2 good dealers for Chevy crate motors are Pace and Sallee, don't have the links handy right now but I haven't heard anything bad about either. BTO has also gotten positive feedback but you might want to consider a 200r4 tranny, you can use the stock crossmember and driveshaft which will save $$$. I had my 3.55's done by Van Steel and had a great experience with them, tell Art Scott sent you.

You can find all my projects HERE for more info.

GM crate engines are available from a bunch of sources for $2,200 for a long block to $3,500 complete with a carb and all. These same engines are also available from your local Chevy Dealer as they are GM Goodwrench Performance engines. One advantage to the dealer might be a real break on freight. Here's the link to Pace http://www.paceparts.com/

hi , i have a new 383 stroker motor in my 81 with a tci trans , what a difference over my last 81, of all the corvettes i've had this one is the best yet. george

consider an LT1 from a '92-'96 corvette. i have typed four paragraphs over each of the four times the site has rejected it. if this posts this time, email me: hottype181@yahoo.com and i will give you the why for that this is a great swap, and easy to locate corvette motor and transmission at a substancial savings over a create motor.

conedude said:
consider an LT1 from a '92-'96 corvette. i have typed four paragraphs over each of the four times the site has rejected it. if this posts this time, email me: hottype181@yahoo.com and i will give you the why for that this is a great swap, and easy to locate corvette motor and transmission at a substancial savings over a create motor.
Criag,
This shouldn't be happening! I don't suppose I'm telling you anything you don't already know ;)

Just for giggles, click on "User CP" at the top right side of the page, then check your "Edit Options" insure you have a "YES" in the box for Browse with Cookies and be sure there is a "YES" in the box for Use vBCode

If this happens again please contact me, Rob or any of the other Forum Administrators. Sometimes during a lengthy post to a thread the inactive time cause the browser to dump too. A little trick to writing a long reply or post, is to use MS Word, then copy and paste ;)

I would like to see your reason and description for using a 92-96 LT1 in a "Shark" :D

Bud Dougherty
Forums Administrator

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom