Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New Mufflers??? Which Ones???

FFAST87

Corvette
1987 Black Coupe
I am looking to put on new mufflers on my 87 but am not sure which would be best, which sound better or have least resonance. I really like the all Stainless Steel Walker Dynomax UltraFlow Mufflers. I live by the Ocean and figured that the all Stainless Steel construction would be best...also the whole muffler body and tips are high polished and would look pretty good from the rear on my Black 87. MID has them...but they are on B/O until June 16th. Anyone have these Mufflers on their Vette???? How do you like the sound and resonance if any???

My other Choice are the Walker DynoMax Super Turbo Mufflers which are Aluminized cased with Polished stainless tips. I was told they sound different than the Ultra Flows. How so??? Anyone have any thoughts on these???

My last choice is the most expensive..the Flowmaster Force II Catback.
Which has the 3" Y Pipe off the Cat. Which leads me to my final question...If I choose either of the Walkers above and don't change my Y Pipe am I going to have a problem with resonance or should I be OK?? Thanks!!!:w

FFAST87 said:
I am looking to put on new mufflers on my 87 but am not sure which would be best, which sound better or have least resonance. I really like the all Stainless Steel Walker Dynomax UltraFlow Mufflers. I live by the Ocean and figured that the all Stainless Steel construction would be best...also the whole muffler body and tips are high polished and would look pretty good from the rear on my Black 87. MID has them...but they are on B/O until June 16th. Anyone have these Mufflers on their Vette???? How do you like the sound and resonance if any???

My other Choice are the Walker DynoMax Super Turbo Mufflers which are Aluminized cased with Polished stainless tips. I was told they sound different than the Ultra Flows. How so??? Anyone have any thoughts on these???

My last choice is the most expensive..the Flowmaster Force II Catback.
Which has the 3" Y Pipe off the Cat. Which leads me to my final question...If I choose either of the Walkers above and don't change my Y Pipe am I going to have a problem with resonance or should I be OK?? Thanks!!!:w

Alot of people like the magnaflow, it's a pretty cost effective system for what you are getting and it's stainless! I carry them if you are interested.
-=Rick

BlackNBlue95 said:
Alot of people like the magnaflow, it's a pretty cost effective system for what you are getting and it's stainless! I carry them if you are interested.
-=Rick

I must agree. If I didnt have the Borlas on there that would be the way I would go. I wouldnt buy most things out of MAD or SOME of the other catalogs simply because they can be found cheaper on Ebay, Vendors like Rick or used (dont cringe). Good luck with your decision

I had Magnaflows installed last weekend on my stock 93. Lots of ear-splitting resonance. They tell me it sounds great on the outside though. I may take them off they are so loud.

I think Corsa has just come out w/ a system for the L98. I would give them a listen and see if you like them. Good luck, Guy

I put a all stainless steel CAT back magnaflow system on my 86 convertible this spring. Sound great, not too loud with the top down but has the old muscle car rumble when I get on it. No resonance at any RPM. Looks great with the 4 three inch pipes. Very resonable at performancepeddler.com for $430 delivered to my door in three days. Took less than a hour to remove the old and install the new, very simple. Love em but that's my two cents.

I had Magnaflows installed last weekend on my stock 93. Lots of ear-splitting resonance. They tell me it sounds great on the outside though. I may take them off they are so loud.

I have had the Magnaflow mufflers on my 96 LT1 AT 3.07 for about 18 months, and they are absolutely great. VERY little resonance, nice burble at regular driving speeds, and they absolutely wail when I stand on the gas. I recommend them highly. Most would agree that that the Magnaflows have less resonance than Borla/B&B. Corsa is the quietest, but you must buy the whole cat back system (for about $900), which is more than twice the cost of the Magnaflow stainless mufflers. Everyone has different tolerances for sound, so be sure to listen to what you intend to buy before laying down the money. Good luck!

I have the Dynomax Ultra Flows on mine with their Y-pipe w/crossover.

It sounds good at idle and low RPM, but quiets down to about stock at cruise and high RPM. Go figure. Here's the best pic I have of it.

attachment.php

Even with the Y-pipe w/ crossover, I got resonance around 1,700-2,000 RPM in overdrive/high loads. It goes away as soon as I'm on the highway or the revs go above 2,000. I installed Dynomat sound insulation in the rear hatch area and it muffled the resonance noticeably.

The look of the Dynomax mufflers and tips are a bit more subdued than those from Corsa/B&B/Magnaflow. Those have huge tips which really bring attention to themselves if you like that. Me, I've grown to like the more stealthy look of the Dynomax tips and stainless steel mufflers.

The only mufflers that will NOT give you resonance are the stock ones, or replacement ones with single functioning exhaust tip, or the Corsa. Unfortunately, Corsa is only available for LT1 and ZR1 C4's, not L98's.

I have the Flowmaster on my car. They're loud, obnoxious and I like 'em.:D

Just had Magnaflows installed. Very little resonance on my 86 vert and they look awesome.

I had dual exhaust put on my '88. Used V-force mufflers. Great big block-like rumble at idle. Fantastic sound at WOT. Resonance....yes, and I love it.

Just bought a nice 87 vert and the previous owner had put Flowmasters on. I really like the sound and no drumming noise at freeway speeds.

Magnaflow! :_rock

For the sound, look & price....they are unbeatable.

I just finished putting Corsas on my 94 (like an hour ago). Corsas may be the quiet ones of the bunch, but they aren't as quiet as stock. There is no reasonance at all (which is thte reason I bought them).

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom