Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: New Original Looking Radio with Modern Features

63evelyn

Corvette
1959,1966 conv,1967 conv,1978,2001 Z06
I am thinking of buying one of the new modern stereo radios that look original for my mid year Corvette. They are expensive (around $600) and I am wondering if anyone out there has purchased one and if so do they like it and would they recommend buying one. Also I would like to keep the speaker in the original location. Would you recommend two small stereo speakers in a 6x9 frame or one 6x9 mono speaker. Thanks.

I don't have one of those radios but they have been out for a good long time. Never heard anything bad about them. Dual cone stereo speakers that replace the 6x9 original are also available saving you the problem of having to custom fabricate. Check with the people that sell the radio.

Tom

Radio

The radio is a $10 Chinese radio stuck in an expensive case. The dual cone speaker is a joke. How can you get stereo separation when the speakers are side by side? A rebuilt stock radio with an OE type speaker will give you the best bang for the buck.

Radio and Speakers

63evelyn,

You may want to check out this website: Electro-Tech Services Page.

They may have the answer your looking for. They can take your original radio and make it as good as new or they can convert it into a new PLL digital radio w/ 45 watts per channel over 1 to 4 channel and everything is operational from your radio - balance, fader or I-Pod out and more.

They have the correct Corvette speaker with the correct voice coil (26 MilleHenry's). Plus they have the dual spkr. for the center spkr. like your asking about.

Or they have a number of different options that are well worth looking into.:beer

65-StingRay
Wayne

Last edited:
I converted mine to the modern guts. It works fine. The dvc speaker does not give you stereo but it is much better then the stock speaker. IMO
I have a good set of surface mount speakers in the back. They give me the stereo. You can always use kick panel speakers to get true stereo.
Cost me about $450

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom