Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: New owner - advice needed

tiger1007

I'm going to build my first vette pretty much from the ground up. For the motor I am torn between spending the extra $ for the fuel injection (was thinking the ramjet 502) and just sticking with a carb. I have an edelbrock in my mudding truck, which used to be my DD, and i never had any problem with cold starts/driveability. It was a little unresponsive if you mashed it at idle, but that's what the clutch is for :) Also, I've been reading about people putting together older engines with vortec heads. Do all chev V8's have the same head bolt pattern, or do I have to have a specific block? What about blocks set up for hydraulic cams, and 2 vs 4 bolt mains? Any input would be welcome.

I'm going with the 4L80E trans and a paddle shift kit. I know that for sure.

I'm not familiar with the corvette rear suspension. I know my GM 14 bolt in my truck will take the 500+ ft lbs. The leafs in the back jump sometimes, but I deal with it for better suspension flex over rocks. What am I going to need to upgrade to in order to keep a rear end in it, and will the stock suspension setup even hold that much power? What about the half shafts?

My intended use is a winter DD, as I ride to work in the summer, but I also want to be able to go to the strip and stomp my buddies at lights. That's easy enough on the bike.

A little cheer leading: I'm really impressed with this site. The knowledge base and willingness to help others is outstanding. I can offer solid modeling help to anyone who needs it and have a desktop dyno program also. Haven't played with it much, but I'm willing to try.

If your going to spend that much money on a ground up build then I would say go fuel injected.

You gonna put a 502 in a vette for a winter Daily Driver? You think you will be able to handle the vehicle when the roads are wet? ....

The 4L60E transmission uses a computer to control shift points.
If you already have the computer, you might as well go fuel injected.

I'm going to build my first vette pretty much from the ground up. For the motor I am torn between spending the extra $ for the fuel injection (was thinking the ramjet 502) and just sticking with a carb. I have an edelbrock in my mudding truck, which used to be my DD, and i never had any problem with cold starts/driveability. It was a little unresponsive if you mashed it at idle, but that's what the clutch is for :) Also, I've been reading about people putting together older engines with vortec heads. Do all chev V8's have the same head bolt pattern, or do I have to have a specific block? What about blocks set up for hydraulic cams, and 2 vs 4 bolt mains? Any input would be welcome.

the Ramjet 502 is a GenV BB. The heads are just a bit different that the earlier Mk IV, and the GenV blocks don't have a mechanical fuel pump boss. They DO have a 1 piece rear seal. There are a few differences so do your research before dropping any $$ for parts.

I'm going with the 4L80E trans and a paddle shift kit. I know that for sure.
The 4L80E is basically a TH400 with the overdrive. Be a little tight under a Vette, but it can be done.

I'm not familiar with the corvette rear suspension. I know my GM 14 bolt in my truck will take the 500+ ft lbs. The leafs in the back jump sometimes, but I deal with it for better suspension flex over rocks. What am I going to need to upgrade to in order to keep a rear end in it, and will the stock suspension setup even hold that much power? What about the half shafts?
The stock Vette rear will very likely pop like a cherry if you do a big standing start launch with sticky tires. It can be built to take some fairly serious horsepower.

My intended use is a winter DD, as I ride to work in the summer, but I also want to be able to go to the strip and stomp my buddies at lights. That's easy enough on the bike.

A little cheer leading: I'm really impressed with this site. The knowledge base and willingness to help others is outstanding. I can offer solid modeling help to anyone who needs it and have a desktop dyno program also. Haven't played with it much, but I'm willing to try.

SOmeone pointed out that since you're looking at EFI, the electronic tranny will be easy- that's 100% correct. You might need a programmer to tweak the shift points to get it right on, but that's no deal.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom