Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

new owner

I know it is a numbers matching CE engine whatever that means.

Baxam,

Welcome to the CAC and congratulations on your new wheels - very cool!

Enjoy the car and remember the Corvette wave :wwhen passing other Vettes on the highway, we are mostly a friendly bunch and all very proud of our rides.

One thing, search out an article in the latest Corvette Fever magazine on the new oils and how they can damage and destroy the cam shafts in engines with flat lifters (non-roller). I think your big block might be of that flavor. Anyway, it seems that most new cars of the last 10 or so years have engines with roller lifters and the newer oils are now formualted for their low friction (they no longer need zinc to lubricate the cam lobes). Zinc was in the oil formulations until just recently but is now mostly phased out due the environmental regulations (thank you Federal Government). If you use the best oils but they lack the zinc, your flat lifters can wear the cam lobes off in a few hundred miles. There are special additives that you can use so you have options - just do your homework. Best to get that artilcle and read it closely. I drive a 89 roadster that had the engine with the roller lifters so I have had no problems. The Corvettes since 1987 (I think) have the rollers, 86 and older used the flat lifters.

Welcome and enjoy that car - it is a beauty and one of the best looking in my humble opinion. I would be driving one too if I could afford it.

Regards,
Radar

i use mobil 15w50 in my 68 flat tappet mustang. it has 1200ppm ZDDP and is recommended for older camshafts according to the company.

i was hoping it would be good for the vette as well.

Welcome, I hope you really enjoy your new toy, it looks like a nice one.:cool
Dusty

CE engines are usually over the counter replacement engines. Are you sure that's what you have?

i havent taken delivery yet so i havent had a chance to look it over but the dealer i bought it from said that the numbers on the block match the numbers on the VIN but the block numbers say it is a CE engine installed with a date stamp 4 months after the date on the frame.

MY FIRST VETTE !

Nothing fancy,just a 68 coupe...Flat black,ragged out interior,traded even for a Porsche 911 ! Oh well I figured,maybe worth something some day.Most of the mechanical has been rebuilt and am working on the derigging the car now...Never seen so many white tie wraps!Thought the trans was screwing up but was just the shifter falling off!Went to tighten the alt belt and was on the maximum already,this guy needs to stay away from his tool set!He will get his now he owns a Porsche!;LOL
It will be nice when it's finished,it is a 427 matching numbers,Astro Ventilation,no ps or ac,Silver with black interior.Would send some pictures but don't know how???Anyone from the Houston area?Walt

i havent taken delivery yet so i havent had a chance to look it over but the dealer i bought it from said that the numbers on the block match the numbers on the VIN but the block numbers say it is a CE engine installed with a date stamp 4 months after the date on the frame.

This is more evidence that suggests that this is not the original engine. If you have bought the car on the assumption or assurance that it is the original, and possibly paid a premium for this, you may want to discuss this with the seller.

It's also possible that the phrase 'matching numbers' is being used in different context by yourself and the seller.

If it's not too late, have the car professionally inspected by someone YOU hire prior to sending the money. More than one person has been disappointed by buying a car sight unseen.

I know mine is matching #'s because I checked the block and VIN"s do match (last 5 numbers)and the M-21 and rear end are dated the same years as the car.The heads don't match but I plan on installing some aluminum heads anyways.I did pay a premium for this car,$12,000.
At least I can work on it...Walt

#'s Matching?

Let you be the judge Vin# 194378S427522
TO718IL185427522 BLOCK #'s
Block has no evidence of being re-stamped and looks old like the block.
I was told that the last numbers will match which in this case the last 6 do match...
The casting number says was made during 68-69
have not found dates but am confident it is the original block.Sure sounds awesome!
Walt

I think his talking about the white 72 454. yeap thats a nice car but buying a car sight unseen, i just dont know.

I think his talking about the white 72 454. yeap thats a nice car but buying a car sight unseen, i just dont know.

i get 48 hours once i take delivery to get it inspected.
if they find problems i dont want to deal with i get a refund minus shipping

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom