Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New Rotor Question?

WantaVette

Corvette
Torch Red LT4 Coupe
I need to buy some new front rotors for my 96 and need some advice. I want to know if anyone has bought the power slot slotted rotors on mid america. They are only $10 more per rotor over the stock 13 inchers.

The idea behind cross drilling and slotting is to aleviate the gas pressure that builds up under the pad durring a hard stop, and to avoid preloading the pad with dust.

Pad gas can actually push the pad off the rotor, creating a real issue getting slowed down (esp from high speeds).

Brake dust can also hinder your braking by building up along the leading edge of your pad, causing that portion of the pad not to have direct contact with the rotor.

The main issue that arises from X-drilling and slotting is a weakening of the rotor. Over time, the constant heat/cool can cause the rotor to warp.

This means that if you are a regular driver... regular rotors that have been X-drilled will not last as long as a solid rotor, as it is inherantly weaker. You have no advantage in replacing regular rotors except for the asthetic value, and the need to replace the rotors sooner.

If you do a lot of high speed stops or slow downs, then you will benefit from the improvements offered by X-drilling etc.

My personal experience lead me to Baer Eratispeed+ rotors. They have X-drilled and sloted rotors for a number of applications. They use a special blend of metal in the firepath of the rotor (Where the pad touches the rotor) to increase life and prevent warpage (warnated for LIFE against warping).

I would avoid Powerslot rotors as they are simply x-drilled OEM replacement rotors. If you are looking for that added braking performace... buck up and get a waranted, quality product!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom