Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New seat belts - Who can supply?

A

AUSSIEVETTEMAN

I need some help with locating retractable seat belts for my 1981 Coupe.
I need to know a few names of suppliers who can get me both sets (LH & RH).
I also need to know what US Standard the belts are made to, so I can match them up with a standard we have here in Australia. Our local Transport Department will want to know this and the Engineer who installs them will also need this information.

Thanks guys.

Tony

Do a search for Snake Oyl Products. Yes, that is the correct spelling.

Andover Restraints:
http://www.andoauto.com/seat_belts.htm

They make (correct) belts for corvettes, but I've also heard people using their "late model factory replacement" (cheaper) in corvettes.

Ssnake-Oyl did the belts in my 1974 Coupe. Replaced one shoulder belt retratctor and rebuilt the other along with rebuilding lap belt retractors. New webbing, other plastic parts, polish buckles, etc. A very nice job. Very expensive - $700. My wife is still reminding me of that!

I'm sure the original belt retractors would not have held in a collision.

Overall, I'm glad I did it. Just prepare yourself for the expense.

I got a pair of universal belts from.

http://www.wescoperformance.com/

Pricing was very reasonable. fit my 76 just fine with some minor fabrication of a plate welded to the floor.
For an 81 the stoek mounting positions should work out just fine.

Scott

I you paid 700 for ssnakeoyl you got took. They gave me a ball park for pricing that went like this
75.00 to replace the lower retractor. $45 to reweb the lower retractor
and $60.00 to reweb the shoulder retractor.
if they did all of this its only 350. for two .........

good luck

I bought brand new, GM original seatbelts, both left and right side on ebay for $200. They were still in the original boxes. It's a long shot, but you never know what you might find. I've seen some on there recently, but it depends on what color you need. Also, I think Mid-America and Ecklers sell both generic replacements and special order matching replacements. The generic ones are cheap, but the matching ones are expensive.

Yep! - my ESTIMATE from Ssnake-Oyl was consistent with what you are quoting. The actual, after they receive the belts and identify additional work, was $700. This is very consistent with others I know wanting show quality, NCRS correct belts. Maybe your car needs less or you expect less.

I did make an exhaustive search of e-bay and other resources for belts. I found many black and saddle belts. My car has silver leather. No NOS out there.

I just got my belts back from Ssnake Oyl Wednesday. Mine were $600 to be redone. All they could use from my old belts were the tongues..they re-chromed them. I would rather have gotten these belts redone though, instead of only having a lap belt that I would not feel as comfortable in.

Got my lap belts redone by Ssnake-Oyl (the shoulders were OK). Paid about $200 for each belt, and basically got new belts with rechromed tongues and reused labels. I was very pleased with them.

By the way, don't forget to check the condition of the seat belt reinforcement plates. Mine had rusted away completely (but then mine is a Michigan car - think tons of salt every winter!)

im thinking about getting my original belts sent to them for restoration...

but im also thinking of putting a modern belt in the car instead and keeping the originals in a box. Reason being my safety concerns, and also in aus, they ahve to be changed anyway afaik.

Got my written quote from snakeoyl and they want 500 to complete the resto. Not too bad since you cannot get them anywhere for that price.

this morning while i was at school, i was looking through ebay and i found a set of belts. The seller says, "These are original BLACK (picture makes them look blue, but they are black) seatbelts in great, but used, working condition and are from a 1974 Corvette. I believe that they are the same belts used through 1997. They are the shoulder and lap version that was used in the T Top Coupe. Feel free to ask questions or request other pictures. Buyer to pay shipping"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34206&item=2439000199

Didn't know if anyone was interested, but i was notifying you incase....

-matt

Used belts

Personally I would be very cautious about used 30 year old belts. Your life may depend on them working properly, so at the very least they should be carefully inspected by someone who knows what they're looking at.

Accurate restorations are great, but not at the expense of safety.

Just my humble opinion.

Over on the "other" forum, I saw a post that the rear seat belts out of a 1993 and newer Camaro/Firebird are pretty much a direct bolt in. I'll bet you could find a set of those much cheaper than finding a set of C3 seat belts.

I sent a set of seatbelts out of my 76 El Camino and they were supposed to call me with a quote and after 2 weeks i called them(ssnakeoyl) and they said they hadn't even looked at them yet and that would be another week then 6-8 weeks to get them done.I like to drive my cars and needed belts in it so had them send them back to me.I only needed the pass side fixed anyways and found a used set locally.
Last spring there was a guy on Ebay with the id of "70stingray" who was selling NOS seatbelts for C3s so you might look him up and see if he has what you need as he sold alot of Corvette parts.I think he was selling for about $200.00 but didn't have black.I sold a set of 81 belts in tan for about $75.00.They were alittle frayed but worked until I found a good set of black ones.
Good luck!

As was posted above: rear belts out of a 93-up camaro or firebird is mostly bolt-in. They were a direct bolt-in on my 71. About $50-$75 for a pair from a salvage yard, or you can get brand new ones from GM.

There is nothing wrong with the original belts if they are in sound condition. My car has the lap and shoulder belts. As previously reported, SsnakeOyl did mine. I guess I would be concerned without the shoulder belt.

If all you want is new drop in replacements, all of the catalog houses sell them, Ecklers for one.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom