Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New Tires and Alignment

Tom Bryant

Administrator
Corvette
1959 black 270hp (9/2/69) 1981 Beige L81(10/20/80)
Got the '81 out for the first time this year. We haven't been driving it much since the tires were way too old. The tread was 70% and there was only minor cracking along the beads. Once off they looked like new inside. Still smooth and shiny after about 20 years but it was the 20 years that I was worried about. So I took it to my guy to have a set of Redial T/As mounted, 2 plane balanced and a 4 wheel alignment. There was only a slight toe out adjustment needed on the front and the rear was still right on from the last time back when the Goodyears were mounted. She drives straight and smooth and is safe for the interstate again.

The Eagle STs are the old tires and the T/As are the new. There isn't much selection in 225/70/15 anymore. The T/As look closest to original.

Tom

Attachments

• IMG_0614[1].jpg
    IMG_0614[1].jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0620[1].jpg
    IMG_0620[1].jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0609[1].jpg
    IMG_0609[1].jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0622[1].jpg
    IMG_0622[1].jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0623[1].jpg
    IMG_0623[1].jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 138
Bob, my preferred technician, used to work at the Chevy dealer my wife worked at in Butler IN before GM pulled all those franchises. We followed him down to Stykemain Chevrolet in Paulding OH. He is the best. The dealership is a pleasure to work with too. They don't try to up-sell you with all those snake oil treatments, flushes and crap that most dealers try to do. We get our drivers serviced there too.

Tom

Never mind just the tires!
The WHOLE GODDANGED CAR looks pretty good to me! :thumb
Andy :w

Thanks. It lives indoors in a climate controlled garage most of the time. It has 53000 miles and has never had any body or paint work needed. It will get driven a little this summer now that it has safe tires on it.

Tom

The Radial TAs are a perfect replacement for 70-90 vintage Vette. I think they are a better tire than the OEMs.

Without a doubt. The original Polyglas GT rode smoother being a fiberglas belted tire but I expect the T/As to handle better.

Tom

Looks very nice, Tom. :)

Mac

Thanks Mac.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom