Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

new tires

ernestD

Corvette
2002 electron blue coupe
saturday morning I got my new tires-B.F.Goodrich super sports!WOW smooth and quiet.Cleaned barrels and brake calipers re-painted calipers,checked brake pads-o.k.everthing up to snuff!One question.What pressure to run front to rear?Some say run lower in rear for better wear,my centers wore out first in the rear.I remember someone said 30 in front 29psi in rear-help anyone?:thumb

saturday morning I got my new tires-B.F.Goodrich super sports!WOW smooth and quiet.Cleaned barrels and brake calipers re-painted calipers,checked brake pads-o.k.everthing up to snuff!One question.What pressure to run front to rear?Some say run lower in rear for better wear,my centers wore out first in the rear.I remember someone said 30 in front 29psi in rear-help anyone?:thumb

On my vehicle, 30 psi cold on two sets of front tires showed even tread wear across the tires. 30 psi cold on my old rear tires ran the center tread out by over 3mm compared to the outer tread. 28 psi cold on my new set of rear tires is still running the center tread out faster by almost 2mm after 15k miles. I would start at front - 30 psi cold, and rear - 28 psi cold, and monitor the full width of each tire tread wear carefully using a quality tread depth gauge.

Thanks guys!LLc5 I think I'll try 28psi cold in the rears and check them like you said,my salesman at Tire Rack said a lot of Vette owners and Porshe owners tell him the same thing-the rear centers wear out first. I'd like to slow that somewhat problem down on my new rubber!:thumb

Thanks guys!LLc5 I think I'll try 28psi cold in the rears and check them like you said,my salesman at Tire Rack said a lot of Vette owners and Porshe owners tell him the same thing-the rear centers wear out first. I'd like to slow that somewhat problem down on my new rubber!:thumb
30psi hot all the way around....that means you have to adjust them seasonally for ambient temperature. For example, if you run them 30 cold in the summertime with temps in the 90s then they could heat up to 35+ and thats too much...

I put 27-28 psi in mine in the summer and they heat up to 30-31 psi and thats the perfect psi for even wear:thumb
In the winter I put 29-30 psi and they heat up to 30-31psi...
In the spring and fall I keep 28-29 psi and they heat up to 30-31 psi...

Good Luck:beer

Note: Put in whatever it takes to get them to 30-31 psi hot...:thumb

thanks-that sounds like good advise!Here in sw florida its pretty hot year round and interstate driving heats tires up quick.A run to Miami and they are 35-36psi.I think I'll keep them at your setting and check them. thanks:beer

thanks-that sounds like good advise!Here in sw florida its pretty hot year round and interstate driving heats tires up quick.A run to Miami and they are 35-36psi.I think I'll keep them at your setting and check them. thanks:beer
You are very welcome...I got that info from a GM engineer who helped developed the C5...until then I was at a loss of where to turn to get the correct info because everyone and everyplace I checked had a different opiniion...I trust this guy with everything he says...you might want to check another forum called the CorvetteForum.com...I have been a member there for almost 10 years. They have over 150,000 members and hundreds if not thousands are online 24/7. Its free to join just like this wonderful forum:)
feel free to direct email me if you have any questions or if I can help you in any way...
kennyusa@att.net

:beer

Thanks again Kenny-I'm just trying to get my 02 coupe ready for another long hot Florida summer!This forum has been helpful and I;ve got a lot of good stuff from it's members.I have been on Corvette Forum.com also.Seems like more action over there,but this is a good site.Thanks for the tips!:thumb:w:beer

at my pace, I probably won't need tires for quite a while.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the price of the tires? What did they charge you to install them?

Edmond-I paid 160 each for this tires from tire rack which I think is a great deal.I just can;t see paying Big Bucks on tires for a car I put on 5000 miles a year! install was free-friend at a dealership!:thumb

Wow, I would say that's a pretty good price! :thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom