Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

new tires

pmanobianco

Corvette
1996 collectors edition convertible
I have a 1996 collectors edition that has 11,200 miles on it. I purchased new tires and found the exact GM rims for it. The tires are Goodyear Eagles Fi GS D3. My question is has anybody who bought new tires get a wheel alignment done to factory specs right after the tires were mounted. The print out on the machine says the right front is off somewhat but the car drives straight. Are those specs for the original Goodyear GSC's that came with the car?

In my opinion anytime you get new tires you need to get your alignment checked and put back to specs for the front and the rears. Can't speak to the alignment numbers for the C4's but factory specs would be the place to start....As the tires get more expensive as on the C6's the more you think about keeping things lined up.

Geez, I'll never figure out why people don't drive their cars. What's the point of a 96 sitting in the garage?

Geez, I'll never figure out why people don't drive their cars. What's the point of a 96 sitting in the garage?

This car was bought by the original owner as a car for collection not a driver. I'm the 3rd owner with a 50page binder of every record on this car. Now with the original tires off the car I can enjoy the car more and not worry about old tires anymore.

The car cost around $40k new. I wonder how that has worked out over the years! I'm driving mine and enjoying it!

Yeah....I don't want to own anything that makes me think, geez I shouldn't be driving this car, I need to save it.....it's special. I would also hate to have a car lease that I did not want to drive the thing because it was getting too close on milage.......

Yeah....I don't want to own anything that makes me think, geez I shouldn't be driving this car, I need to save it.....it's special. I would also hate to have a car lease that I did not want to drive the thing because it was getting too close on milage.......

I started this thread about wheel alignment and new tires. Everybody has the right to own their car as they wish. These last comments have nothing to do with what I posted. You guys do what you want with your car I'm only asking for some feedback on my question. This makes me NOT want to ask for some good info. Guys get real!!!!!

To the person who said the car new is$40K get your knowledge together . sticker was $50,450.00

I see you are a new member so I will explain how this these threads sometimes work. In the ebb and flow of answering a question sometimes things tend to drift off topic a bit. It's the nature of the business and nothing to be upset about. In due course your questions get answered and you may even learn a bit about other things also. We all like to get along here and rarely do we need to post upsetting comments. For some reason you have taken offence and for that we are sorry. I believe I answered your question with my first post.....what else can we help you with?

Wheel Alignment.

Paul, I sent you the specs via e-mail. The tires you have on now are the same size as the GSC's, so it should not be an issue. The spec manual does not make reference to wheel type. It gives the specs under the heading of "wheel alignment." Call me if you need to talk. :beer

Paul, I sent you the specs via e-mail. The tires you have on now are the same size as the GSC's, so it should not be an issue. The spec manual does not make reference to wheel type. It gives the specs under the heading of "wheel alignment." Call me if you need to talk. :beer

Thanks Ed I got your email and have the specs. I'll call you soon. Again, if you me to look at the red vette let me know.

It's a wise idea to have your front/rear alignment checked when you buy new tires.

The alignment specs for a C4 will not change even though you've switched to the F1 GS-D3....which, I might add, is an excellent choice for a C4.

For normal driving the alignment specs in the Service Manual work well.

If you're an aggressive driver and/or you run a few autocross events every so often, I'd set the alignment a little differently. If the suspension is in good condition, I'd go for -1/2° camber at all four corners. As much front caster as you can get with that camber setting and 1/32 to 1/16-in toe in for the front and 1/32 toe in per side for the rear.

It's a wise idea to have your front/rear alignment checked when you buy new tires.

The alignment specs for a C4 will not change even though you've switched to the F1 GS-D3....which, I might add, is an excellent choice for a C4.

If you're an aggressive driver and/or you run a few autocross events every so often, I'd set the alignment a little differently. If the suspension is in good condition, I'd go for -1/2° camber at all four corners. As much front caster as you can get with that camber setting and 1/32 to 1/16-in toe in for the front and 1/32 toe in per side for the rear.

Thanks I agree with your thinking Hib

Wheel Alignment

Thanks for the direct response. I appreciate the information. Here are the factory specs for the 96 C4 in case anyone else needs them:

WHEEL ALIGNMENT FOR 1996

Front Wheel at Curb Mass, caster: 6.0° , +/- 0.5°
Front Wheel at Curb Mass, camber: 0.8° , +/- 0.5°
Front Wheel at Curb Mass, toe-in: 0.0° , =/- 0.1°
Rear Wheel at Curb Mass, camber: 0.0° , +/- 0.5°
Rear Wheel at Curb Mass, toe-in: 0.0 ° , +/- 0.1 °

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom