Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: new to forum 1980 vette questions

sugar4013

Corvette
1980 L-82
I have a 1980 L-82 Vette and would like to install a new steering wheel. Can anyone tell me where I can get a diagram showing me how to take apart the steering coulum and replace with a new one. I have tilt and telescopic steering. Also, my door handle has broken on the drivers outside. I need to find out how to remove the power lock button and trim and also how the door handle works. I appreciate any help.

Welcome to the CAC, sugar! I can't help with your questions, but some of our C3 owners will be along soon, I'm sure! Just wanted to say hi and welcome!

:wJane Ann

It's a pretty straight forward process to replace the steering wheel. You don't really need a diagram, or to take the whole column apart, but an AIM (Assembly Instruction Manual) can be had for around $20 at the major parts suppliers. I recommend Mid America myself.

It's essential to have, along with a service manual if you're going to tinker with your 'vette.

Sorry, I can't help you with the door handle problem, but someone else will come along shortly. Welcome to the forum!

-Tatortot

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center.

Not sure if your '80 is the same but on my '73 I remove the horn button and there's three flat head Phillips screws that hold the steering wheel on to the hub. I know your door panel is different so can't help with that.

Corvette America has the AIMs on CD now for about $40.

Thank you so much for the warm welcome. I am glad to have found this site.

Everyone is so friendly and helpful. I appreciate all of the responses I am receiving from everyone.

Steering wheel:

I have a 1980 L-82 Vette and would like to install a new steering wheel. Can anyone tell me where I can get a diagram showing me how to take apart the steering coulum and replace with a new one. I have tilt and telescopic steering. Also, my door handle has broken on the drivers outside. I need to find out how to remove the power lock button and trim and also how the door handle works. I appreciate any help.
I replaced mine a couple of weeks ago. It's pretty simple, just make sure you pay attention of what you take off and in what order. All you really need is a Phillips screw driver.
Pull the horn button toward you. It will pop right off. Start unscrewing all the way down to the steering wheel, really just a couple of pieces. I used my digital camera to go look back as a reference if I forgot the order of reassembling.
The wheel is just held on by screws, so once you have it on, go back in reverse order with the rest. Sorry, can't help on the handle. :cool

Working inside the door is tough unless you have small hands. Here is a kink to corvette fever that should help. Simple Corvette Door-Handle Replacement

My 80 does not have the little panel this article refers to to get into the intior of the door.

Good luck

sugar4013 - nice looking ride :upthumbs

... are those Cragar S/S' s ??

and WELCOME to the :CAC :thumb !!

welcome sugar
\
the outside door handles are pretty straight forward.
Remove the inner door panel and on the end of the door you will find 3 screws that hold the plastic cover that goes around the inside of the door handle mechanism ( I guess it's some anti theft cover or some crap)
Then disconect the rod going from the door handle to the lock. Its held on with a spring steel clip. P.S. it's a real pain to get back on.
Anyway then you'll find 2 nuts that hold the handle into the door remove them and the door handle should push right out.

Be warned though if you bought new handles from ecklers or some place like that you may need to caulk around them. the ones i got the gasket wasn't enough to make up for the difference in contour.
The other thing is the adjustment of the rod going from the handle to the lock is pretty touchy and you need to install it in the inner hole of the lock arm. A little trick I used to keep the adjusment do jiggy where it goes to the lock stable while i was trying to get it back into the little hole on the lock was to take a nut and thread it onto the rod and use it as a jam nut to keep the connecting joint from spinning on the threads while i was trying to get it back in the lock arm. Also while you have the door panel off spray the lock mechanism dow good with WD40 where ever you can get it into the mechanism the door handles usually break because the lock mechanism gets sticky and hard to move.

The door designs really are a nitemare but if you pay attention to how things are hooked up and be calm and patient you'll be ok.
Myself I'd just love to get my hands around the neck of the perverted engineer who designed these doors and oh well you know the rest LOL.

Good luck it's not a 5 minute job.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom