Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New to this site(sort of)

SteveV

Corvette
1981 white/dark blue int.
Hi all, I have read many of your postings the past several months and now
have become a member. I am 43 years old and have been passionate about
corvettes since I was a kid. As far as ownership, I had an 84,85,69 roadster and
for the past year an 81. I sold my 69 last week (10/05). The new owner flat bedded
it to Virginia (I'm in Pittsburgh). It was a bitter sweet sale! A huge coin in my pocket
but a show car no longer in my garage.

As for my 81 (my favorite body style), it had been garaged since 98 when I bought
it last year with a worn cam. So this past winter I installed a Crane PowerMax cam
and a set of Comp. Magnum rockers, added some freon and drove this 43,000 mi.
cold blowing air, Vette everyday this summer.

My winter projects will include: new bushings, shocks, oil pan, power steering
slave cylinder and hoses, Hooker sidepipes (I'm living wild now, I was to anal
with my 69 w/keeping it original) and a new sound system. I'm toying
with getting rid of the computer and updating the carb, dist. and intake but that
will be for later.

I'm handy and can offer some advise. I am happy to see that this site offers many
highly qualified friendly people whom I'm sure I will be asking for their (your) advise!

:TALK

Welcome Steve!

Welcome to Corvette Action Center.
I'm sure you'll love it here, and find the CAC site just as addicting as owning vettes.
Heidi :w

SteveV ~ Welcome to the Corvette Action Center Community ~

Steve,

Nice to see you here at CAC. There are a few 1981's owners within the halls of CAC ;) Sounds like you are getting your ride in great shape. I too, have owned many Corvettes, one from every generation except a C5, after some considerations and lots of contemplating, I went searching for a 1981 back in 1996, I found Rare in Michigan, and I wouldn't trade her for anything.

I look forward to seeing yours in person some day and hearing how sweet it must sound :D

Welcome Steve;
I too am fairly new to this site- bought my first Vette (an 81) last April and have been on it every spare moment since. It was "ragged out" when I bought her and am not too keen on keeping it original if theres a better way-like the motor for example. Jerked the old one out and replaced with a new GM crate...
Just finished a new paint job (not original color) and i'm on the interior now. Its a bitter sweet project about to be complete- have really enjoyed the remake but cant stand the wait to cruise in her...........
anyway, was lookin for an excuse to post another pic, so here goes:

Hi Mike, your car looks great. Someday I may have mine sprayed red also.
Good luck w/the interior. I did the interior on my 69 and it worked out nice.
My only major job on the 81 was the cam so far (see pic.). As far as the
interior, I will replace the seat cushions or maybe the entire seats
with a newer style. Do you know if C4 seats will fit? Post some pics. when
you get started.

SteveV- There are 2 men at work who own 1981 Corvettes. They tell me that Chevrolet had a bad batch of cams in the 1981's, and Chevrolet has since replaced their cams for them. I dont know the whole "low-down" on this , I'm just repeating what they told me. You may want to check into this- who know's, Chevy may buy you a new cam or better. Just some info I thought you may use.
Sorry - I have no idea if C4 seats will fit or not.
I will need help installing my new covers/foam. BUT- Will send pics when I'm done , hopefully b4 Thanksgiving !!! Mike J.
:crazy
Just 1 more pic:

Mikejpss,

I took advantage of that deal when the cam in my L81 went flat at 33K miles. What Chevrolet did was re-inburse me for 66% of the cost, because the car had 33K miles and they based their policy on a 100K mile vehicle life-span.

It is called a letter of agreement which meant that if the customer made the claim, then would cover it, but they had no obligation to announce it (full public announcement would have quilified the issue as a re-call).

Welcome Steve. You will enjoy it here.

Tom

Welcome Steve,
This is a great place for information. Looks like you are on your way to many nice projects. I have replaced the body mounts on my 81. I also need a new cam, I replaced my rear main seal and oil pump this summer. While I had the pan off I noticed one of the cam lobes is all blackened.:eek

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom