Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

new vette, have some questions.

RyanTuttle07

Corvette
1989 Roadster 6spd
I just bought my first corvette yesterday, and have a few questions maybe someone can answer for me. its an '89 roadster and what is a typical oil temperature reading? mine gets into the 200's and seems kinda hot me, but i've heard that that is typical for a corvette? also, whats a typical oil pressure reading? mine seems kinda low? drops down to 20psi at times. Any response would be appreciated. thanks.:confused

Congrats on the vette! Gotta love learning about this car. On my 93, 228° secondary fan kicks on then drops off at about 217°. Those numbers are fairly accurate. This is usually in traffic. Oil pressure varies, 20, 25, 40, 45, 50 PSI. Depending on conditions RPM's etc. Always been this way since I owned the car. New thermostat, running temp is around 192°. Previously temperature ran around 196°. Hope these numbers help you out a little. I do always monitor the coolant temperature, don't want this thing getting hot. Cheers!

normal, depends on several factors, its state of tune, how you drive, type of oil, etc. but you want it to reach at least 215f on occasions to burn off moisture and anything under 240f is fine, even expected and normal, for short runs while you drive hard, most stock vettes have the oil temp of around 200F-210F while cruising at low rpms

DON,T OVER COOL YOUR ENGINE!
it takes approximately 214F-215F to burn all the moisture out of oil, that moisture comes from outside air when the engine cools and from combustion when the engines not up too temp. and can form acids and rust if it sits, if your cars driven frequently IE it seldom sits for several days at a time your unlikely to have significant moisture forming, especially if the cars garaged most of the time its not in use.
short trips seldom allow the engine to fully reach a stable temp, the state of tune,the outside temps, the amount and type of oil and the temp switch on the fans , the T-STAT, allow or prevent the oil reaching full temp,the RPMS and LOADS the engine sees effects the temps
If you drive the car frequently and seldom let it sit for days at a time AND change oil fairly regularly (3000-4500 miles between changes) you may be fine with the slightly lower temps ,especially if the cars garaged but you can easily check the condition of your engine, pull a valve cover and inspect its inside surface carefully, it should be clean, possiably stained but not have minor acid etching and there should be no sludge , build up,or chocolate milk or waxey film, if there is your engines not running hot enought or your not changing the oil,filter ETC. frequently

to raise temp install a 190F-200F T-stat, oil temp generally runs 15F-25F higher than COOLANT temps
img212.gif

thanks for the help. one more question, my ABS light comes on upon start up. im guessing that that means the ABS isnt funtioning correctly, or does that always come on?

every vette Ive driven including my 1996 that has ABS the light comes on briefly on starting the car

the abs should come on as above but, if it stays on you will NOT have abs braking ability although, you WILL have normal brakes.

Welcome to the CAC, Ryan, and congrats on your first Corvette.

In case you haven't come across it yet, here's a link to the Index for the 1989 Model in the Tech Center > Model Center. Click me for 1989 Index page.

When you have time, stop by the New Member forum and introduce yourself so more of your fellow enthusiasts can say hello! Click me for New Member Introduction Forum.

Post pix when you can... everyone around here loves 'em.
:wJane Ann

Oil

"If you drive the car frequently and seldom let it sit for days at a time AND change oil fairly regularly (3000-4500 miles between changes) "

Would this mileage apply to LT1 corvettes with full synthetic oil too? I was told full synthetic oil lasts longer to like 7500 miles or once a year.

Welcome to the site and cograts on the purchase of your vette! You are gonna love your vette, I just purchased my 90 about 3 months ago and can't get enough of it!

Post some pics when you get a chance.

Welcome again,
Tony

IVE HEARD YOU NEED TO CHANGE OIL EVERY 3500 MILES,..."

"Would this mileage apply to LT1 corvettes with full synthetic oil too? I was told full synthetic oil lasts longer to like 7500 miles or once a year."

most guys have heard that youll want to change the oil and filter in your corvette every 3500 miles or so, and thats certainly good general advice, but its not necessarily something youll need to do under some conditions, having the car sit days between drives, use of cheap oil and filters, dusty or wet conditions, extreme temps all effect the oils expected life span, use a good oil and a good oil and air and fuel,filter and you can go longer under some conditions.
synthetic oils don,t generally break down as fast, and have a higher heat tollerance than mineral base oils and getting 7500-10,000 mile on an oil change is something that can be done, but Id sure change the oil filter out every 3500 miles (once or twice durring that 7500,-10,000 miles because , its the crap like metalic dust and moisture that can get trapped & suspended in the synthetic oil that causes problems more that the oil breaking down when your talking about the better synthetic oils. you can generally take the dipstick out and look at the color,and crap suspended in the oil if you wipe the dipstick on clean white typing paper,if you check whats on the dipstick ,just after turning the engine off, after getting it up to operating temp by driving the car for 15-30 minutes, and get some idea as to the crud level in suspension, obviously if its filthy its best to change it out, but just getting dark in color means little because modern detergent oils are designed to hold some fine ash in suspension, so they almost always get darker with use, its the extra fine metalic crud, acids and moisture your looking for, and by the time they become obvious youll NEED an oil change, as the filters supposed to screen most of that out of circulation, and getting the oil up to 215F SHOULD burn out ther moisture.

just as an example
now I know Im not typical as I run a 10 qt baffled oil pan on my vette, I have a large external oil cooler, I filled the vettes engine with 9 qts of mobile 1 and a qt of marvel mystery oil,and used a extended length PURE 1 filter, but I changed my oil just before driving from miami fla. to a buddies house near colorado springs co. where I swapped out the filter before the return trip, where I drove to the corvette museum , in bowling green ky THEN TO THE SUMMIT STORE IN ga. ON VACATION THEN TO BILOXI ms and I had over 6000 miles on the oil (mostly higher speed freeway driving) when I arrived back in miami fla. about three weeks later, the oil looked almost new, it was only at the 7000mile point I changed it out as the last 1000 miles in local driving made the oil look worse that the previous 6000 miles
its worth the time to read thru both links

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

http://teamzr1.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1774#Post1774

BUT I GENERALLY CHANGE OUT THE OIL/AND FILTER EVERY 3500-4000 MILES, JUST TO BE SAFE AS OILS CHEAP INSURANCE

"If you drive the car frequently and seldom let it sit for days at a time AND change oil fairly regularly (3000-4500 miles between changes) "

Would this mileage apply to LT1 corvettes with full synthetic oil too? I was told full synthetic oil lasts longer to like 7500 miles or once a year.

I always reset my OIL LIFE MONITOR when I change the oil and filter, then drive the car until the light comes on again. I figure that's what it's there for, right?

It's programmed to tell you when your oil has rendered its service life.

As stated welcome to the corvette world, have a 89 also and the temps as stated above are correct, I did change the therostat to a 180, car runs around 190 normally but will go high in traffic, my abs light since the day i bought it will always go on for a brief moment when I first pull out and I get a tiny "ratting and clunk sound " then it is fine, my mechanic buddy checked it out and all is fine, except for some dirt on the rear sensors which we cleaned off and it got better, but still does the light and noise a little, he checked and there was a service bulletin on that problem, it seems to be nornal, some are just louder than others...but if the light does stay on then the abs is not working, just normal brakes...you will love the machine at times and cuss it at other times...just part of being a vet owner...

Congradulations, you might not know this but you just bought arguably the best C4 corvette made. You have the TPI torque monster and a 6 speed and aluminum heads and the earlier more muscular body style and its a convurtible and it has the cool digital dash, nice job. You should put in a 160 stat, flush coolant and replace and put a chip in it and change the oil and relocate your temperature sensor to the air filter box, that should cure your temp problems.

Nelson,
Can you messure the oil dipstick in your car for me? I suspect the one in my car is the wrong one. Reason being.....If I put 4 or even 5 quarts of oil in the car there's no reading on the stick. The previous owner said it took 9-10 quarts and that just can't be. I've looked at the pan and it looks stock so I'm thinking this car's been blowing seals because there was too much oil in it. Thanks!

Craig

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom