Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: New Vette Owner: Winter Question:

401KVet

Corvette
1980 L82 Coupe, Black
Hello,

I see a lot of you guys are talking about storing your Vette for the winter. Store Store Store.
My question is what is the MAIN purpose for not driving in the WINTER.

Is it the rain?
Is it maybe salt on the roads where it gets really cold?
Is it the way cold weather may be a bad thing for the fiberglass body?
Is it something else or all of the above?

I think all of the reasons above would be a good reason for keeping it off the road.

I live in Louisiana, and some of the winter days here or really nice. If it is the cold weather on a fiberglass body, how cold is to cold.

Thanks for the help, :)

It's the snow (low ground clearance), ice (tires/traction), salt (corrosion, especially on aluminum and steel parts), sand (paint chips), etc. If ya don't have any of these conditions, then I'd drive the vette every day!

All of the weather-related issues noted by zee_oh_six would be the main reason NOT to drive during the winter. With your location.....drive it, drive it, drive it. Even in my area of the Midwest, I get mine out on the road whenever we have a few rare winter days of clean & clear roads.

Get it out & have fun!!!

They're correct on all counts! :thumb The situations noted by zee_oh_six are why so many of our Corvette brothers and sisters tuck them safely away for the winter months. Here in the Deep South we don't have those conditions, which is why mine is my daily driver.

Relax and enjoy!

BTW - welcome to you both, 401KVet and ZanieGal!!

:wJane Ann

I store mine due to all the reasons cited, but also I really don't want to get stuck on my drive home coming up from Denver, or get hit by some numbskull in a 2 wheel drive vehicle that believes he can drive the vehicle up the hill sideways, tires spinning. The 4 wheel drives are much better and I feel that I can get thru most snowstorms. Back in the 1960s, I drove my C1 and C2s all year around, even when I lived in Alaska. The thinner tires made it easier to drive in the snow as long as it was not too deep. The positraction also was a big assist. The wide tires on my C4 and C5 slide all over the road on the way home. Besides, by resting in the garage over the winter, they are not aware of the adverse conditions that are outside. They are always raring to go in the spring.
Barrett

So the COLD climate does not have any effect on fiberglass???. You know, how plastic will break easier when really cold. I know fiberglass is not plastic, but I thought possibly the cold weather may have some type of similar effect.

Yes we did have snow. I live about 20 minutes west of Baton Rouge. We had about 3 inches of snow on the ground tis morning. This happens here about every 10 to 12 years. It was nice and very pretty. Of coarse the Vette went nowhere.

It snowed west of us, south of us, north of us... and I never saw one snowflake. :mad I had the camera ready and everything. ;squint:

The last time we had snow here was about 12 years ago but it was gone except beneath the trees in a few hours. The last significant snow we had which stayed on the ground a couple of days was '93, I think. That was so cool.

Of course, if I had to deal with it on a regular basis, and store away my Vette for the winter, I'd definitely be LESS enthusiastic. :L

:wJane Ann

So the COLD climate does not have any effect on fiberglass???. You know, how plastic will break easier when really cold. I know fiberglass is not plastic, but I thought possibly the cold weather may have some type of similar effect.

Nope, not an issue; when they were new, they were daily drivers for most people, and they weren't pampered like most of them are today. :)

Well I drove my 69 vert everyday here in CT, 25 years ago. Rain, snow,parking lots, keg parties,just about anywhere. If it was a bad area I wouldn't leave it but otherwise I drove it, kicked it, walked over it- enjoyed it! 20* days were tough when the heater core was bypassed.;LOL

Still have it only it's sitting waiting for me to restore it now.

I grew up in Caribou ,Maine Coldest place in the lower 48 states .The girl down the street had a 63 split and drove it every day .I remember her father push starting it with his pickup on a few cold mornings when it was -70 with the wind chill factor.

Yes if I lived in La. i'd drive most days.:D

I grew up in Caribou ,Maine Coldest place in the lower 48 states .The girl down the street had a 63 split and drove it every day .I remember her father push starting it with his pickup on a few cold mornings when it was -70 with the wind chill factor.

I lived in Anchorage and Fairbanks, Alaska in 1964-66 and had a 93 SWC. Temperatures in Fairbanks reached -75 degrees. The fiberglass was not affected, however, some of the paint did pop off and I got it repainted in the summer of 66 in Fairbanks and had it shipped to Seattle in early December 66 as as I was transferred to Washington DC. The cold weather was very hard on all cars, but the fiberglass was not affected. The Chevy dealer in Fairbanks used enamel instead of the original lacquer that came on it.
Barrett

:w I was stationed at Loring AFB, Maine right outside of Caribou. I know first hand what you are talking about!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom