Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Newbe Question-Overdrive or Drive?

MitchV

Corvette
1993 40th Anniversary Edition Coupe
When driving my '93 with auto trans around town in Drive (overdrive 4th) it is running at about 1,000 rpms. The car is more responsive driving in 3rd gear, rpms are elevated. Engine/Transmission wise, any problem driving in 3rd?

On the highway, overdrive is great.

Thanks
Mitch

None that I'm aware of. Check the owners manual where it is explained. I use OD most of the time. When you punch it, she should downshift to the appropriate gear. If it isn't search for how to reset the kick down(or they call it the valve control)cable. It's easy and will cure any downshifting sluggishness.

On my 85 with the Nash 4+3 its running in OD whenever I drive it city/highway every day with no issues.
Gordon

When driving my '93 with auto trans around town in Drive (overdrive 4th) it is running at about 1,000 rpms. The car is more responsive driving in 3rd gear, rpms are elevated. Engine/Transmission wise, any problem driving in 3rd?

Thanks
Mitch

No problems using 3rd gear, just a little bit more wear and tear on the drive train. If you select D2 though, I believe that the transmission will start in 2nd gear from a stand still, where in D3 when you come to a stop the transmission will start in 1st gear.

Thanks
Mitch

I do the same thing. Only use OD when on the highway. I don't care for the annoying upshift, downshift all the time. I've been doing this since I owned the car for more then twenty years now so apparently it's not hard on the tranny. 87K on the clock now and I changed the tranny fluid at 60K.

I keep mine in OD all the time. Regular D is probably better if you live in an area where there are a lot of hills. I live in an area with hills, but I still use OD.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom