Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Newbie Here!

F

FixFalcon

Hi, I just registered and wondered if I could get some advice from some 'Vette Veterans. I don't own one yet, but I really want a 'Vette from sometime in the '70s. There is a company I found on the net called "Corvettes Direct" where they find Corvettes and restore them, then sell them at a reasonable price. I recently submitted a request for a 1977 'Vette with a 4-Speed manual tranny and I got a quote of $7,399! Is this too good to be true, or are 'Vettes from the '70s just not very good?? If you've heard of this company, or know of someone who has, are they legitimate, or will I pay 7 grand for a piece of junk? Thanks.

Never heard of them. But I beleve classiccorvettes.com will do the same type of search if you want to check them out too. I really would make sure the car was located some where you could go check it out thourally before you make ant type of investment.

Thats just my 2 cents

FixFalcon said:
Hi, I just registered and wondered if I could get some advice from some 'Vette Veterans. I don't own one yet, but I really want a 'Vette from sometime in the '70s. There is a company I found on the net called "Corvettes Direct" where they find Corvettes and restore them, then sell them at a reasonable price. I recently submitted a request for a 1977 'Vette with a 4-Speed manual tranny and I got a quote of $7,399! Is this too good to be true, or are 'Vettes from the '70s just not very good?? If you've heard of this company, or know of someone who has, are they legitimate, or will I pay 7 grand for a piece of junk? Thanks.

Depends. I bought the vette my wife had fallen in love with from a distance just over a year ago. We paid $6500 for a 1975 Vette and thought we were doing okay. The wife had driven by and seen the car with a for sale sign on it and just had to have it. I drove the car and probably should have left it sitting there, but I didn't and I guess we have did okay with it. I wouldn't depend on it to really get me anywhere, but we are working on it slowly and just might one day make a decent car of it. Anyway, I have since seen nicer cars for less than what we paid for it and I have seen worse cars for more. Just keep looking until you find the deal you are looking for. I think most on this board would tell you to buy cosmetics because body work and paint is expensive and the the mechanical side isn't too very hard to work on. The mid 70's vettes were some of the lowest hp cars they made I think and to some that hurts the value, so you may get lucky and get great deal on a nice car. Just keep looking....:).

Bobby

Maybe you might want to attend the Bloomington Gold event in St. Charles, Illinois. There will most likely be many Vettes there for sale. Dates are June 13th through 16th, hotels are probably booking up fast.

Do these people want you to pay up front? Be very careful!

You're probably better off finding a good quality used Vette in your neck of the woods. Personally, I'd rather have a well-kept original than some beater that has been "restored."

I have to agree with BobbyBJr on the cosmetics. I got a pretty good deal on a 77 and have put some money into the mechanics of the car. My car needs paint and I estimate that some minor bodywork and paint will cost close to as much as all of the rest of the work combined.

Bob

buying your first vette

I'd recommend;
...you go look at several vettes, at LEAST 5, but 10-20 will give you a better judgement range on price vs. condition.
...a trip to your local library or bookstore to get a book on vettes that can educate you about the differences between the years.
...don't buy the first one you see. (Corvette Fever, similar to buck fever)
...personally, visually inspect each vehicle, or at least take or send a person whose opinion you trust.

Myself, I'd prefer to purchase from an individual who has taken care of their vette, has receipts and is willing to tell you the vehicle's history. High mileage does not bother me, so long as the maintenance has been done properly through the miles. I am leary of vehicles that have low miles or sit for long periods of time, as things can dry out with little, or no, use.

The best advice I can give....
...buy the best Vette you can afford. Cosmetics are costly, much more so than mechanical, if you are going to do the mechanical work yourself. Also, if you buy one that needs little work, you have more time for driving!

My own vette:
1st Safety. (seatbelts, signals/lights, locks, everything works, nothing hanging loose)
2nd Dependability. (drivetrain, suspension, tires)
3rd Cosmetics. (paint, interior)

Happy shopping!
Silver aka:Heidi

Welcome to CAC

I can't imagine why you haven't gone to Proteam in Napoleon OH. They have a great bunch of vettes, but they get a good dollar for them, it will at the very least give you a good idea what to look for.

Washington State

Sorry.
I would also recommend asking more questions and being perfectly clear about what you expect from your paint shop. This particular shop was very popular and used by many of the locals. He showed me a white with purple/blue pearl that was PERFECT...no orange peel and the paint and pearl was evenly coated.

What I got was a vette COVERED in ORANGE PEEL...and he told me most factory cars come with some 'peel. I told him if that kind of substandard work was what he wanted to be noted for, I'd let everyone in the car club know about it. I also commented that my paint job did not look like the one he showed me as an example of his work, and that was the quality I was expecting.

He did take out the 'peel, and I was pleased. I feel there were other areas that could have been improved, I think his painter just did a 'hurried-at-the-end' kind of job. All of the things I nit-picked about were just oversights.

What I was most pleased with, they did the SA paint configuration without any 'kits' and did it all by hand taping and spraying clear coat over everything so there are no edges. I was very pleased! Another item of note, by taping and painting the pinstriping, the points are so sharp, you could cut with them! Overall, a much better job than a factory one.

So, I guess my 78SA could be considered "custom".
Heidi

Thanks Heidi. Paint is likely out of the budget this year, though I do have a small tear in the fiberglass over the rear left wheel where a tire blew the tread that I want to get fixed before it gets any worse. There is a place off of Stone Mountain Parkway that supposed to be do great fiberglass work and paint that I will check out later this summer. Never hurts to check out a couple of places though.

Bob

FixFalcon,
Seems like a real low $$$ for a 77 restored through a dealer. Usually you're looking at 12k-13k for a similiar deal. I gotta wonder about this one:confused but hey, you never know. In any case, all the above responses are right on. Look at as many as you can. Believe me,they'll still be there so don't rush. Have someone familiar with the C3 take a good look. All these cars need some work, just realize what you're getting into BEFORE you buy. One things for sure"If it sounds too good to be true,it probably is";)
Good luck in your search:w
Carlo

Carlo is right on in his assesment. There is a place here in Atlanta that has the 75 - 77 models in decent shape all the time in the $12 - 14,000 range, though no matter what shape they are in they can always use another $1 - 2,000 to bring them up to your individual preferences. When I have mine done, I'll have more than this in it, though I will know that it wasn't "bubba'ed" because I either did the work or had it done at a mechanic that I trust.

In my opinion there is a tradeoff here. Do you have the time, money and desire to make the necessary repairs at a higher cost but hopefully controlled quality or do you want to have most of the money in it up front though there is the uncertainty of the quality of the repairs done by others, put a little money in it to fix the little things and drive it. Depending on the day I can go either way. My wife goes with the second choice 100% of the time.

Bob

FixFalcon,

Welcome to the CAC! :beer

I think everyone above has answered your question. Do lots of looking before you buy so you have a good idea of what you're in for. The advice on body vs mechanical is terrific advice. Look through the threads and you will see where some have paid up to $7000 to paint their nice vettes, but a typical driver shouldn't cost anywhere near that to fix up the mechanicals.

Good luck and save the wave!

Steve :w

Thanks alot for the responses! I'm done with college for the summer and working full time, hopefully by around September or October I'll have enough money saved up to get a nicely restored vette. :)

Oh by the way, if anyone is interested, the site for that company is www.corvettesdirect.com

Thanks again.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom