Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Newbie Question...

Uly49

Corvette
2010 Yellow ZR1
Hey All,
Have always been a GM lover with leanings towards the 442'S I have played with since High School. Finally decided to pul the trigger and recently purchased a new "Velocity Yellow" ZR1....took it for a spin recently and put my house keys in the small console compartment.
Holy Sh.. the keys got so hot they actually blistered my fingers. Took them out, let them cool down, and guess what? Holy Sh.. they were just as hot. Anyone else had a similar problem? Assuming it is just an insulation issue or something along that vain but man I kid you not when I tell you the whole compartment was smoking. (Not smoking literally, as in fire:))
Thanks for any help and I look forward to making some new acquaintances...
Scott...

WOW - Congrats on the purchase of your ZR1!

U49 - When ya have time post a few pictures of your Yellow Rocket! :w

Welcome to the :CAC

:lou
Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

Thanks much, will do...having some new wheels done with "360" and they should be very nice. 4-6 weeks out and then a photo shoot...will definitely post some pictures then. These cars are really special. 1st time "Vette" owner, long time admirer.
Scott...

What 6 said! Congrats, man. :cool

Don't know if blistering hot is normal, but I have been warned that the center console storage area can get a bit warm. The whole thing sits on top of the torque tube. I can attest to it in the "Vicious Z". You ought to see what happened when I left a pack of gum in there during a stint of spirited driving. :boogie

If I were you, I would be high-tailing it back to the dealer on this one. You spent way too much to leave something like this unaddressed.

Maybe someone else here can comment on the feasibility of additional insulation.

What 6 said! Congrats, man. :cool

Don't know if blistering hot is normal, but I have been warned that the center console storage area can get a bit warm. The whole thing sits on top of the torque tube. I can attest to it in the "Vicious Z". You ought to see what happened when I left a pack of gum in there during a stint of spirited driving. :boogie

If I were you, I would be high-tailing it back to the dealer on this one. You spent way too much to leave something like this unaddressed.

Maybe someone else here can comment on the feasibility of additional insulation.

I noticed mine last weekend except it was my cell phone sitting in cup holder. Yep, it got warm....samething happened w/my '09 Z51 Rdstr....it's fiberglas and other stuff.....remember that fiberglas acts like insulator....I know it's in my attic/walls etc at home....and my Vette too!!! Holds heat real well.....wouldn't you agree :D Not trying to be funny, but we do drive fiberglas and in your case carbon fiber.....there is insulation between floor/carpet. I noticed my Z06 is o.k. until after say 1 hour or more....then I can tell especially when it gets hot outside like it is now. I found this to be true last year (in Aug) while on the Corvette Caravan....;shrug

BTW, Congrats on your ZR1. Sorry bout the heat problem. For me it's sumthin I have decided to live with, never had any Vette except C5/C6, but I would imagine that this is same issue w/all fiberglas cars. tim

I had to add insulation to my 2006 Z. It's an oven during the summertime and I don't like driving it. Sure wish we had "cooling" seats! My cell phone rides in the cup holder, until it overheats and powersdown. There are kits that help but don't "FIX" the problem. Maybe have the dealership install the carpet/padding for a regular coupe will help.
I wrapped my exhaust system with insulation tape, didn't notice any appreciable difference. I have a thicker tunnel plate with insulation, didn't notice much difference here either. Hate driving in the summertime with sweat running down my back...

Based on all who have responded and some others I have talked to, this would seem to be a design problem as opposed to an engineering issue. How could this have been going on for years now and never been fixed?
I realize that we are wrapping a lot of motor, exhaust, tranny and other things under a relatively small glass shell, but this would seem to be something that should be able to be fixed...blows me away that for a 100K they can't deal with a heat issue.....oh well!
Scott...

I had to add insulation to my 2006 Z. It's an oven during the summertime and I don't like driving it. Sure wish we had "cooling" seats! My cell phone rides in the cup holder, until it overheats and powersdown. There are kits that help but don't "FIX" the problem. Maybe have the dealership install the carpet/padding for a regular coupe will help.
I wrapped my exhaust system with insulation tape, didn't notice any appreciable difference. I have a thicker tunnel plate with insulation, didn't notice much difference here either. Hate driving in the summertime with sweat running down my back...

Ya got that right ;)....I drove my Z very short trip to go run errand during lunch today and got out of Vette and my shirt was soaked with sweat...yuky feeling.....it's cause the car was in sun when I got in it and seat was already hot. Now gotta go do it agian, it quitting time....thank ya jesus for small miracles....:D

This same problem occurs in the Cadillac XLR & XLR-V. One guy I know got a buy-back from GM for his '04. He then proceeded to buy an XLR-V, same problem, but he loves the car so much he puts up with it. I had an XLR-V until recently and the console area gets as warm (hot) as my Z. We went to Bowling Green in an XLR caravan a couple of years ago and we brought this problem up with the XLR engineers--unfortunately, all we got back were blank stares.

Bottom line--turn up the AC!

ZR1 Insulation

Just finished up having "Benchmark" (Bellevue) put sound deadener and noise supperssion insulation on all the interior panels. This insulation is supposed to help with the heat also. Still some noise but a lot better that it was.

got phone call from GM asking about my first month's ownership of the ZEEEE!
told them my only real concern/complaint was the heat build-up in the console area

Dyna Mat can be applied to the floor under the console & on the floor. Makes a bit difference. I did my cars interior when I did the stereo. The A/C works better & its quieter

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom