Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 Newbie w/ Black LT4 !

1996 LT4 Topic
Thx for the geetings :D Ya know...I guess I misunderstood the type of wheels that I have (new guy:confused )...what I actually have are the Collectors Edition wheels yet they are chromed and have the Vette emblem on them. I saw them on a Vette on the net and they looked awesome on it so I asked the guys at CnV (where I bought it) to put those type on it for me. I thought (at the time) that they were the ZR1 wheels but after learning more about Vettes I guess I'm wrong. Does anybody know if these wheels are some kind of aftermarket thing or did they actually offer these on C4's. They are the CE (star type) wheels....just chrome and on the black car they look good:cool The car now has 275/40/17 tires all the way around...which is nice for rotation purposes. Also..what is that button on the left side of the dash that kinda has a pic of a car skidding on it? It's on the far left (right below the air vent) THX All!:w Yes, I have a manual but hey, that's what this site is for!

JEFNLSA said:
Also..what is that button on the left side of the dash that kinda has a pic of a car skidding on it? It's on the far left (right below the air vent) THX All!:w Yes, I have a manual but hey, that's what this site is for!
That turns om/off the traction control. Whe there is no light on the inf center panel, its active.

Is that an option or is it standard on C4's...and while we're at it...what does it do and when/where should I or should I not use it? Thx....:confused

Traction control was standard. Use it when raining or snowing or in sand, when ever you think you might need the computer to not let the car spin out of control.:L I almost never leave it on (stupid light is annoying), I onloy leave it on when its raining. It will keep the rear tires from spinning or of you get to hairy in a turn. It actually lifts the gas pedal, you'll feel it and applies the brakes also. Leave it on, floor it in first, try to do a burn out, it will kick in.

Ya know...my wheels actually look like yours yet they are chrome. Maybe I have the GS style wheels which maybe are the same as the CE wheels..!@#! I don't know! Anyway...good lookin' ride you have. Black is beautiful...so to speak!:beer

I think you meant to say, when the light is on in the info ctr then it is active cuz I have no light on and I can spin the !@#! out of my rears no prob!

asr is on/active when your dic is blank. Push the button with the squiggle (when the car is running) and you will see your dic light up "ASR OFF".

You can spin your tires with it on (a little) and spin them a bunch more with ASR OFF.

PS welcome to addiction.:D

Until you have a good "feel" for the car & the power, I would leave it active (blank dic). It's easy for this little hot rod to get away from you when you're not used to it (Ask me how I know:))

So I should always see a light on (all the time) for daily driving :confused

"asr is on/active when your dic is blank."

Reread my post. When the dic (driver information center) is BLANK that indicates the default mode of ASR. The default mode of ASR is on or active. On or active means that if you get into a skid the ASR will try to help you.

So to be safe, careful and let the asr watch over your shoulder just get in, start car, and drive. ASR will be active/on.

When I race I push the button once, ASR OFF appears on the DIC and the ASR brain will NOT try to correct your throttle input.

Your choice, enjoy!

Thx..I read ya! So, according to you...you leave it active for daily driving?

Yes, I leave mine active/on for daily drives. Could save your butt if you do something dumb. If I need to spank a Mustang I just push the button, ASR OFF appears on the dic & you are ready to spank.;)

Froggy...Thx to you and the search function I am now an authority on ASR. My baby is in the shop:( (temp issue) yet I should get her back tonite so I'm looking forward to experimenting w/that!

They do run hot, I was concerned when I first got mine . In stop n go on a hot day 225 - 230 is not unusual. Turn a/c ON - that runs both fans continuously.

Just got her back...fan issue. Haven't seen her go past 210 since and we're in the middle of summer in Phx! What a load off! Also...tried out that ASR and holy "SMOKES"! I could lay an endless patch if I wanted! You gotta love these cars! Now...for the 4:10's.:D

I wanted to chime in on ASR. Did the something dumb thing and am here because of it. Jerking the steering wheel at 90 in a hairy curve would have kicked out for sure without it on. The system employs an accelerometer in the dash that interprets out of control maneuvers and compensates accordingly along with ABS sensor input.

Turn it off and smoke a rear set but for me it's a fine proctor day to day driving. Especially to you hot rod LT-4 guys.

Thx for the heads up...I plan to leave it on except for "special occasions" ;)

jcs44 said:
Welcome to the gang! I have a Black LT4 convertible with black interior and black top. Great looks and ride. I have a question for you. You mentioned putting on ZR-1 wheels. Does your car have the LTPWS? If yes, do your new wheels have the LTPWS sensors installed? If the car has the LTPWS and you have no sensors in your ZR-1 wheels, are you getting a warning light on the dash for "service LTPWS"?

Thanks, JCS44
You will get a the warning light to come on without the sensors. Easy fix is pull the bulb. It's a 20 minute job total. Some pull the fuse for cruise control to get the light out. I guess if you are lazy you can just pull the fuse. I'd rather still have CC just in case i ever want to use it. Pulling the bulb is so easy to do.

ASR off is for folks who have driving skills. People who don't are better off with it on, even then I'm not sure too sure. Keep in mind it may turn on at the wrong moment and cause you to loose control. But like i said, if you are not in control anyways it may not make a difference at that point.

With each passing day I'm getting my driving skills and growing more confident to leave it off. I seem to notice it kicking in alot ,but hey, maybe it's just me getting my driving skills;) !!! Oh yeah, I do have the ZR1 wheels ...it's just that they are the aftermarket chrome ones w/ the Vette embem. Look real good:D !!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom