Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Nice 78 with low VIN#

JHL

Corvette
81 4 speed
My friend let me know about a 78 that has been entered in a local auction next month. It is one of the first 78`s with VIN# 400006 and it has the original engine. Not sure what options it has till he finds out some more info on it.

His question is will it be more valuable. Is it possible some of the early cars of a model year might have been "Press Cars" or given to GM staff or something like that ???? The guide price in the catalog is $5000, we have been to this venue a few time and the cars don`t always make good money so it could be cheap enough to tempt him.

78Vette.jpg

J.

Don't buy it based on the low VIN#. Buy it based on its condition & relative value!

Under normal circumstances I would agree with you but a car with a "history" is difficult to value. I have seen cars at auction make way over there real value for various reasons such as previous celebrity ownership or having been a Motor Show car or Press car for a new model or having been used in film or TV. This sort of thing can almost make condition irrelevent.

The 78 was the first redesign (big back window) for a few years and the 25th anniversary year so my friend wondered if the early cars might have been used in advertising or given to the press to use.

J.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom