Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

no brake lights 65 stingray

corvette boy

Corvette
1965 conv
rear tail lights and blinkers work, have no brake lights, have 12 volts on one side of brake light switch, jumped the wires to eliminate switch, still no brake lights, was thinking maybe broken wire to tail lights ? and was wondering if one tai light is fed from brake light switch, does it feed other side with the same wire ? thanks

IIIIIbbbbbbb
1630554930617.png

The blk-orange wire seems to be a feed to the brake light switch and power goes from the switch through a blk-white wire to the turn signal switch and it looks like from there it's a Dk Green that goes to the turn signal on one side and a blk-yellow that goes to the turn signal on the other side. Looks like there is a single brown wire and a single black wire running to the back to one pair of tail light and then crossing over to the other. Not sure how these are grounded but it seems like the brown would be brake and the black would be tail light. That's just a guess based on other harnesses I have worked on. If you can check the continuity of the black and the brown from the turn signal to the back and also for power where they exit the turn signal switch you should be able to confirm which is brakes and if the wire is ok.

Tom

The blk-orange wire seems to be a feed to the brake light switch and power goes from the switch through a blk-white wire to the turn signal switch and it looks like from there it's a Dk Green that goes to the turn signal on one side and a blk-yellow that goes to the turn signal on the other side. Looks like there is a single brown wire and a single black wire running to the back to one pair of tail light and then crossing over to the other. Not sure how these are grounded but it seems like the brown would be brake and the black would be tail light. That's just a guess based on other harnesses I have worked on. If you can check the continuity of the black and the brown from the turn signal to the back and also for power where they exit the turn signal switch you should be able to confirm which is brakes and if the wire is ok.

Tom
I ended up changing the turn signal switch in the column and presto the brake lights are alive, the brake light signal goes thru the blinker switch on these old cars as they don't have individual tail /brake lights out back, 74 bucks from ecklers corvette and about a hour of my life.... thanks a lot for the response

Glad you found the problem.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom