Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

40th Anniversary No Crank, No Start

1993 40th Anniversary Corvette Topic
No voltage at the small yellow wire while in start position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That indicates the problem is in the neural safety switch which is bolted to the passenger side of the
shifter or the Crank fuse is not making good contact in the fuse panel.

Probably need two people.

With the ignition switch held in the Start position you should measure 12 volts on the Crank fuse.
If you do, the neutral safety switch is bad or the wire terminals at the switch need reseating or
the P N switch needs adjusting.

So replacing the fuse got me up and running. Now I'm not sure how that explains the intermittent no crank, no start. I drove it to church this morning with no cranking issues. After church, no problem still. When I got home, I shut it down and attempted to crank again and nothing. This is the problem I've been dealing with for a while. If the fuse is the problem, it wouldn't crank at all. Right?

So replacing the fuse got me up and running. Now I'm not sure how that explains the intermittent no crank, no start. I drove it to church this morning with no cranking issues. After church, no problem still. When I got home, I shut it down and attempted to crank again and nothing. This is the problem I've been dealing with for a while. If the fuse is the problem, it wouldn't crank at all. Right?

I believe you have two problems.

1) If the fuse was making bad contact in the fuse panel you could have an intermittent no crank because
the starter relay would not energize. If the fuse was blown it could have been when you messed with the relay.

2) If the Security light is coming on that would indicate the key pellet wasn't read properly.
That could be a bad ignition key cylinder (a pair of stranded wires go bad. The wires twist every time you rotate the ignition key cylinder. This causes the CCM to read the wrong key pellet value.

Most people don't replace a bad key cylinder because you need to get into the steering column.
To bypass a bad ignition key cylinder that fails to read the key pellet properly.
At the base of he steering column you disconnect the small two pin usually an Orange and White wire connector.
Place a resistor across the male connector going back to the CCM. The value of the resistor is the same value as your key pellet.

This is a Bubba fix and allows a car thief to break the ignition key cylinder and use a screw driver to
start the car.

The CCM could also be marginal where it doesn't ground the relay. You can leave the Yellow/Black wire
permanently grounded. I believe some 92 and 93 CCM's did have intermittent problems grounding the starter enable relay. Permanently grounding the Yellow/Black wire will eliminate that problem.

Here's a picture of the key cylinder.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'm going to do both the resistor across the male plug and the permanent ground of the yellow:black wire. I'm tired of fighting this issue. And, not really being able to enjoy the car with the fear lurking of not knowing if it will start or not. Any suggestions on where would be a good place to make the permanent ground? I really appreciate your help throughout my troubleshooting process. Especially with it being Father's Day. So, a BIG thanks once again and HAPPY FATHER'S DAY if you're a dad. Thanks!!!

I think I'm going to do both the resistor across the male plug and the permanent ground of the yellow:black wire. I'm tired of fighting this issue. And, not really being able to enjoy the car with the fear lurking of not knowing if it will start or not. Any suggestions on where would be a good place to make the permanent ground? I really appreciate your help throughout my troubleshooting process. Especially with it being Father's Day. So, a BIG thanks once again and HAPPY FATHER'S DAY if you're a dad. Thanks!!!

On the diagnostic connector you pull the codes from, splice into the wire for Pin A which is ground and run the other end of the wire and splce it to the Yellow/Black wire at the starter enable relay socket. No need to cut the Yellow/Black wire.

For the key cylinder bypass you can purchase the correct resistor on e-bay for $3.00 shipped. The kit contains the 15 possible resistance values.

Disconnect the two pin plug at the base of the steering column. At the connector end that goes back to the CCM solder the resistor across the two wires. Leave the plug disconnected.

Link below where to buy the resistors.

Picture of the diagnostic connector shows pin A

Directed Electronics 652T GM General Motors Vats Resistor Pack Bypass Kit 15 PK | eBay

obd1.jpg_zpstcudfdwe.png

Thanks again.!!!! Resistors have been ordered and permanent ground is in place. You're awesome!!!!

Ok. Took the jumper off. Ran gator clip from the yellow:black wire to the negative terminal on battery. Back to square one. No crank no start.

Are you saying you removed the jumper you grounded the Yellow/Black wire to
and grounded the wire to Pin A of the diagnostic connector and now it does not work?

With the Yellow/Black wire grounded.
Back probe the small yellow wire at the relay socket.
Do you measure 12 volts when the ignition switch is in start?

No 12 volts verify there is 12 volts at the Crank fuse when the ignition switch is in Start
If yoi have 12 volts at the Crank fuse the PN switch is bad needs adjustment or the wires
need to be reseated at the PN switch under the console.

If the Crank fuse is blown most likely the wiring that goes to the Park/Neutral switch is shorted
out under the center console.

I'm sorry. That was from earlier today when we were troubleshooting. I'm all set now with the yellow:black wire grounded to the A terminal. I will add the resistors when they come in. She's cranking and running now. Thanks to you.

i'm sorry. That was from earlier today when we were troubleshooting. I'm all set now with the yellow:black wire grounded to the a terminal. I will add the resistors when they come in. She's cranking and running now. Thanks to you.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk

ok :d

I'm sorry. That was from earlier today when we were troubleshooting. I'm all set now with the yellow:black wire grounded to the A terminal. I will add the resistors when they come in. She's cranking and running now. Thanks to you.

Well an update. I received my resistors in the mail. Put them on the vehicle. Permanent ground on the starter enable relay. Hopefully this will resolve my problem. Thanks again ecss for all your help. Greatly appreciated.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom