Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! No headlights, please help!

• Thread starter Thread starter Corvetteseth79
  • Start date Start date
C

Corvetteseth79

I'm a new member and I must say this is a great website. Heres my problem,I have a 79 and my headlights will not turn on. The tail lights and side markers come on, but no headlights. While I was going over the wiring diagram and I noticed that there is a fuse link in the line somewhere. Does anyone know where that link is located? Also, im not getting any dash lights as well, fuse or circuit breaker? Any help would be very helpful, thanks and I will get some pictures of my ride up there shortly.

Tracking down electrical problems can be frustrating, but not impossible.
First, you need a volt meter.
Remember that all of the lights use the frame as a return ground, so if the ground connection is not made then the lights won't work.
Use the red volt meter lead to check for 12V (or battery voltage) at each of the headlights connectors using the frame (or engine as the ground for the black meter lead.

If there is no voltage, then the problem is probably in the switches or the fusebox.
If there is voltage, then check the ground connections for the headlamp assemblies. A bad ground will not allow for a return path for the lights.

The headlights are fused at the fusebox under the dash.
The power goes to the headlight switch, then to the High/Low beam switch on the steering column, then to the headlights. Your High/Low beam switch might have a broken contact as likely as the headlight switch itself.
Only a systematic test will reveal the problem.

Corvetteseth79 ~ Welcome to the Corvette Action Center Community ~

:w there,

First I have a couple questions ;)

By saying the headlights will not turn on. Does this mean they don't come up and they don't light? It may sound very basic, but sometimes the headlights come on, but don't rotate up, and sometimes they rotate up, but don't illuminate, AND sometimes then just flat don't work at all, don't rotate, and don't illuminate.

One problem could be electrical, while the other would be vacuum related ;)

A bit more information could help you simplify your trouble shooting. Don't worry about getting long winded or providing TOO much information, even things that may seem simple or dumb can be helpful when solving issues on our older Corvettes :)

Bud

Yeah the lights come up and down just fine, and like i said the side markers and tail lights light up, but no the headlights

Do you know where the fuse for the headlights is located, or do you have a fuse box diagram? I did check the fuses and the ones that were in there were fine, but there are some open spots, im not sure if it came from the factory like that or, the last owner trying to play machanic.

:w

The fuse box/panel is up under the dash on the drivers side far left.

Here is a picture of the fuse panel for a 1981 Corvette, it should be real close to your 1979 ;)

attachment.php

Bud

Is anyone sure that the headlights are on a fuse, I don't think so. the manufactors didn't want them to go out by a fuse popping. Its sound like a light switch to me. Does your light switch feel normal when you pull it out, a little resistance when you pull, or does it come out reall smooth, like it is worn out, no contact making a contact?

I was looking at a wiring diaram, and it was showing a fuse link. I didn;t know if that ment it was"in line" or not. Also the switch feels "old" if i can call it anything. The guy i got the car from said the dash lights went out awhile ago, but the headlights had worked just fine. I will take alook at the fuse box tonight, and get back to everyone, thanks alot it's hard to get people who know about these cars who will provide information with out charging a hefty fee.

Ok, so i tore the dash apart to start there, when i checked the "hot" going into the switch and looks like the switch has power coming to it, the hot is hot. That means it's the switch right?

Ok, so i tore the dash apart to start there, when i checked the "hot" going into the switch and looks like the switch has power coming to it, the hot is hot. That means it's the switch right?
Depends. What is on the other side of the switch?
Does it turn on and off? If not, then it is the switch.
If it does, then start looking further down the line to the dimmer switch.

There's no fuse for the headlights - that circuit is protected by a self-resetting thermal circuit breaker that's internal to the headlight switch. With your other lighting issues, sounds like you need a new switch.

:beer

That's pretty ironic. I have almost the exact same issue, but I have no headlights, brake lights, dash or tail lights.

Today I replaced the dimmer switch and now I have headlights, but nothing else. Try that.

Need help on my 1979 Vette headlights went out was working now no lights Help

Hi im having problems with my headlights on my 1979 Vette.everything was working and all of a suddened my lights go out and i seen ur post on here and want to know if it was the light switch after all.thnaks alot

I have no headlights and no wipers

everything was working till a couple days ago can anybody please help me.im owner of a 1979 Crvette I didnt know all these problems came with this model thanks

I would check your switch to see if there is any power there....

You're chasing a post that's been dead since 2008. If your headlights don't illuminate, that's an electrical problem. If they don't raise and lock into into position, that's a vacuum issue. Your second post also mentions w/wipers- that's electrical.

Do you have a wiring diagram?

no headlights, please help

i have power to the switch to the running lights,sigal.i have lights in dash everything just no lights they come up and down.ya i know the post is very old but i everbody want to charge an arm and leg thank for ur help

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom