Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

No hidden headlights in 2003.

K

kicker

While taking the plant tour in Bowling Green last week, a line worker told me that next year the Corvette will have a clear cover over the headlights - no more hidden headlights. I assume he knew what he was talking about, he had no reason to make this up.

American Industry

kicker said:
a line worker told me...

Ain't it great! How often do you get a chance to talk to sombody on the line at any of the other manufacturers? :upthumbs

Here in Detroit, that chance happens all the time. Unfortunately, most of my buddy's in the auto industry work for Ford. :(

But, if you want a bit of non-Chevy related gossip...the word from the Ford Wixom plant is that the vast majority of new Thunderbirds can't be sent out due to the fact that they become swimming pools when it rains. :L

And just last week, one of the head guys at that plant took a Tbird out for a drive. He made it a few miles down the road before the car stalled out and wouldn't start again. They had to tow it back. Needless to say, they have a team of engineers checking it out.

I hear the production on Lincolns isn't going that much better. Unfortunately, it may mean the loss of lot's of jobs in this area... :(

-J.

I can't imagine a Vette without hidden headlights....that's a Vette trademark isn't it? I hope he was just pulling your leg. I'll wait to see it before I pass judgement.

WELCOME

Hey Kicker:

Welcome to the CACC. You will find many interesting features here and meet some great people. Just take some time to look around. BTW, what kind of car do you drive? Inquiring minds want to know.

Hope to hear more from you soon.

hidden lights

My '59s headlights aren't hiding from anybody. Maybe they are getting back to their roots. :J

Tom

Designers........

I think the C6 will be without retractable headlights, and as long as the designers "get it right " ...I think it should be done! ......
It would allow for more options as far as design and will be lighter. It can make or brake the C6 design, but I'll bet they get it right! Scott

It would be interesting to see a Vette without retractable head lights. That hasn't been done in a long long time. Have to wait to see if that happens and to se what it would look like.

Let's face it, a lot of "impromptu" showdowns happen at night from street light to street light and having head lights popping out certainly doesn't help aerodynamics a bit.

Am I right?

BullWinkle said:
Let's face it, a lot of "impromptu" showdowns happen at night from street light to street light and having head lights popping out certainly doesn't help aerodynamics a bit.

Am I right?

LOL!:L Somehow I dont think these "Unsanctioned, public throuofare speed contests" where the reason the call was made to modify the headlights. But you sure are correct. The headlights on my GS are like an air brake!

The only pic's I've seen the concept C6 show it as having flush headlights. Very nicely done too, the way the body flows with the light covers. Not like the attempts by aftermarket manufactures to do the same thing with the C3's and C4's.

Jason

I do believe that either Eckler's or Mid-America sells the modification kit for the C5, I'm pretty sure of it. I'll have to look that one up again though.

Plus, doesn't it irk you to know that a Mustang has better hood aerodynamics at night?

This could be very true. GM has always introduced a "little" of the next generation car on the out going platform, to get people used to a new look or feature. The mock C5 cove on the 95 C4s was a "hint" of what was comming on C5. That is interesting indeed.

Black Ice said:
This could be very true. GM has always introduced a "little" of the next generation car on the out going platform, to get people used to a new look or feature. The mock C5 cove on the 95 C4s was a "hint" of what was comming on C5. That is interesting indeed.

I *own* a 95. I was just out looking at it and can't find that cove.

As for the exposted headlights for 03...not gonna happen.

If it happens at all it won't be until 05.

Hib Hib Hib...You disappoint me ;) The cove I am talking about is the mini C5 cove in the front rocker gill panels. Originally they were designed to look like a mini version of C5s big one. There was some problem with the panel being to flexible so at the last miniute Cafaro had to reluctently add the little "spears" to make it stronger. This was a design intent to bring a little of C5 to C4 for a hint of what was to come. The same goes for the 82 collecter's glass hatch. :)

Black Ice said:
Hib Hib Hib...You disappoint me ;) The cove I am talking about is the mini C5 cove in the front rocker gill panels. Originally they were designed to look like a mini version of C5s big one. There was some problem with the panel being to flexible so at the last miniute Cafaro had to reluctently add the little "spears" to make it stronger. This was a design intent to bring a little of C5 to C4 for a hint of what was to come.

Yeah...I guess I disappoint a lot of people, sometimes. Perhaps you missed the tougue-in-cheek of my reply.
In short, I'm not sure I buy that. What's your source on that statement?

The same goes for the 82 collecter's glass hatch. :)
[/B]

That's true for its function but, IMO, not its style. The shape and style of the rear glass on an 82CE goes back to 78. You think the 84-car's rear glass had been set-in-stone that far back?

John Cafero himself told me this 5 years ago. :)

No big surprise....they had the best design ever on the C4...smooth, aerodynamic and good looking with the lights up...GM once again dropped the ball by adding really ugly pop up units to the C5........since no one made a stink about them when they came out they figure most people really dont care......many new vette buyers croon over anything new rather than being honest and critical...........

headlights

I believe the the c6 corvette will have the same headlight setup as the C5 R. I have recently seen it on a c5 and it is very appealing.

I also think the C6 will borrow from the C5R cars styling.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom