Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

No other Generation

bucket

Corvette
no other generation of corvette has arrived with more change than the C4.
it looks like the 5 and 6 made improvements on this platform..
but the difference between a C3 and a C4 is remarkable..nothing in common, nothing
but the 5's and 6's kinda snuk up on it using improved parts and pieces..kind of a gradual change
and the C4 is the longest run, isnt it?
im jus sayin
merry Christmas
:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer12pk

I dont think so.
C1-53-62 9 years
C2-63-67 4 years
C3-68-82 14 years
C4-84-96 12 years
C5-97-04 7 years
C6 05 ???????

no other generation of corvette has arrived with more change than the C4.
it looks like the 5 and 6 made improvements on this platform..
but the difference between a C3 and a C4 is remarkable..nothing in common, nothing
but the 5's and 6's kinda snuk up on it using improved parts and pieces..kind of a gradual change
and the C4 is the longest run, isnt it?
im jus sayin
merry Christmas
:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer12pk

So... The C4 may not been the longest running generation, but it still was the generation that brought the most change! :thumb

Quite possibly... I think every single part was changed, none being carried over from the C3... but then didnt they do this again for the C5 ? I think there will be a lot of posts on this one!

Yep - Frame Shutter Like No Other Generation...

...and the only generation that lost a year of Corvette production because of their issues! :thumb

Later . . . . . . .
6 Shooter

GM and Corvette Engineering has been at the forefront of many significant changes. For the time of their inovations and technology it would be very hard for this old man to determine which generation was the MOST significant...

From solid axle to independent rear end, disc brakes, frame changes, to computers ;shrug Even during the bad years (Nader, and Insurance regulations) the Corvette managed to stay at or near the top of the car game.

Like I said, each generation evolved some more so than others, and the General kept the mystic and original concept of Keeping the Corvette AMERICA's Sports Car, a SPORTS CAR.. full of performance and style for each year of production... :thumb

Bud

I've read a few Reference type books about the development of the C4, C5, and the C6. Yes I do believe the C4 made revolutionary changes to the basic Corvette platform compared to the C3. The C3 was very much a musclecar--a sophisticated one at that. The C4 made the leap from sophisticated musclecar to a world-class performance car. It was the best handling car at the time of its introduction due to its no-compromise chassis. Remember, this was the 1980's and its competitors were the Porsche 911 and the Ferrari 308 GTS. The Japanese had long since given up the performance part of their "sportscars" and instead made theirs into sophisticated, and heavy, GT cars. It was only Porsche and Ferrari that could hold a candle to the C4 when it was introduced. Look back and compare the performance and handling numbers and it is clear the C4 trumped them all. That was the design goal for the C4 model in order to undo the years of stagnation and weight gain by the C3.

The C5 took the best characteristics of the C4 and made it better. Better handling, quality, more power, and friendlier to the driver and passenger. The C6 is an evolutionary step from the C5.

Not to take away anything from the magnificent C6 and C5 before it, it is interesting to note that the last 5 years of C4 production still had performance that surpasses most cars today wether it's handling and acceleration. That is due to the inherent design of the C4.

Having said that, the newest Corvettes obviously are superior in every way to the old.

So... The C4 may not been the longest running generation, but it still was the generation that brought the most change! :thumb

Also the generation that got me drooling over them :D:beer

Quite possibly... I think every single part was changed, none being carried over from the C3... but then didnt they do this again for the C5 ? I think there will be a lot of posts on this one!

The 1982 and the 1984 Corvettes share the "Cross Fire Injection" engine.

The 1996 to 1997 change (C4 to C5) was the most "all new" Corvette built to date. The Corvette Black Book by Mike Antonick gives a good description of the year-to-year changes the Corvette has undergone.

C4, The generation that has it all !!!

The 1996 to 1997 change (C4 to C5) was the most "all new" Corvette built to date. The Corvette Black Book by Mike Antonick gives a good description of the year-to-year changes the Corvette has undergone.

I respectfully disagree.

The '82 to '84 Corvette had the most "all new" Corvette. It featured an all new backbone chassis, a uniframe construction, forged aluminum suspension components with the SLA type front and multi-link in the rear, powertrain placement within the wheelbase, new body panel manufacturing techniques, digital dashboard, ergonomically designed seats to hold driver and passenger firmly in place during high speed manuevers, etc. It is true that the first year C4 had carried over the Crossfire Injection of the 1982 Corvette. Chevrolet did improve upon the 4-speed T10 tranny and fitted it with a Gear Vendors overdrive, and the Turbohydramatic 350 was replaced with the 4-speed with electronic overdrive to improve fuel efficiency and relax highway cruising. Many of these things carried over to the C5. The C5 goes a step further by putting the tranny at the rear, further stiffening of the chassis, more powerful engine, etc. The C5 engine is a further development of the LT4 and lessons learned from that motor was transfered to the LS family. The C5 still used the Turbo-Hydramatic 400 auto, and the 6-speed of the outgoing C4.

Of course, as always the later models of each Corvette generation always got the best and most developed versions. The 1982, 1996, and 2004 models were the best and most powerful.

They're all great cars. However, the C4 was the first to put the Corvette on top of Porsche and Ferrari when it came to overall performance and especially bang for buck.

Merry Christmas to you all. :upthumbs

that was sales hype.
putting the trans in the rear..
does not compare to changing the entire vehicle
every physical aspect of the C4 is totally different from the C3..
the C5 nice but not so different.

Bucket - Don't know where n da freak ya get your info from, but the C5 & C6 Corvettes were Totally New Platforms and they blow C4 technology out of the water! :thumb

BTW - Merry Christmas to you too! :w

2z9bols.jpg

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

It's Christmas so...I'm going to rain on a lot of people's parade.
:)

First the statement that C3 and C4 had nothing in common is not correct. While the two platform's structure, body and chassis were different, they shared many powertrain parts.

The engine, the automatic trans, the gearbox section of the 84's 4+3 manual and the guts of the rear axle all carried over from C3.

It is said above that the early C4 manual was a T10 with a "Gear Vendors" overdrive unit. That is not correct. The "4+3" was a Warner Super T10 with a strengthened case maded to a Doug Nash electro-hydraulic overdrive. Use of the T10 in Corvette ended in mid-year 1963 and Gear Vendors has never been a supplier to GM.

Also, someone made the statements above that the C5 used the Turbohydramatic 400 transmission and the C4's six-speed. Both are incorrect. The C5 used a derivative of the C4's 4L60E automatic and the C5's six-speed is a completely different transmission.

Bucket - Don't know where n da freak ya get your info from, but the C5 & C6 Corvettes were Totally New Platforms and they blow C4 technology out of the water! .....

6Shooter - I think trying to reason with "Bucket" is a waste of time. His comments run counter to the statements and writings of Dave Mc Clellan and Dave Hill and every history of the Corvette book published.

I for one wish everyone a Merry Christmas! (and I'm off this thread.)

If the C5 Corvette had not gotten the divorced A4 transmission from the truck group the C5 wouldn't have happened. The cost to have a rear/trans-axle transmission would have killed the C5 because of costs. Cheer up the C7 will be faster and lighter with a V6 turbo.

Of course, as always the later models of each Corvette generation always got the best and most developed versions. The 1982, 1996, and 2004 models were the best and most powerful.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

I agree with the '96 and '04 being the best in their respective generation, but the '82 was not the most powerful C3. As far as developments, the electric seat and rear hatch was cool. :thumb

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

I agree with the '96 and '04 being the best in their respective generation, but the '82 was not the most powerful C3. As far as developments, the electric seat and rear hatch was cool. :thumb
The 82 had to pass tighter emission and fuel economy standards than earlier years and were wonderful running Corvettes.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom