Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! No power to fuel pump on 1982 crossfire AGAIN

jeanie2002

Corvette
1982 ice blue coupe
:wWell here we go again, about a year ago I could not get power to the fuel pump, changed relay cleaned all connections including ecm, nothing then all of a sudden it started working. I did go ahead and replace pump after I got it going just in case it was weak. Ran great for months. Lately,Car died one day would not start, no fire, it was pick-up coil in dist. got that fixed still won't run, no fuel {will run on starting fluid} , same thing again, not getting power to pump, cleaned all terminals,jumped across oil pres. switch, replaced relay, nothing. Both times this has done this the car has sat for a couple months. What in the world could go wrong while car is sitting. My only thought was corrosion is why I cleaned everything. Was hoping someone else has run across a similar problem?????

Have you checked if you have 12v at the fuel pump, or little closer by at the oil pressure switch?
I think the best way to tackle this problem is trace the path from the positive battery terminal to the positive fuel pump side and from the negative fuel pomp side check resistance between that point and the chassis. Should be in between the two wires.
Good luck!

Greetings Peter

Hi,
I had the same problem with my 82. Car would run good for a while, then dead pump. I checked all the the things that you are supposed to check and I was stumped. I started thinking about the small electric filter (looks like a capacitor) that is on the positive wire in the gas tank. I removed the fuel pump again and replaced the whole positive wire with one of the wires that came with the fuel pump.I have not had a single problem with the fuel pump since. If you have tried all the diagostic procedures and have had no success, give this a try.
Good luck,
Tom

???

I was wondering about that, because a year ago when I cleaned everything I noticed the shrink tube sealing the wires was cracked so I painted the wires in/out with a fuel tank sealer. Wonder what does that filter do and is it needed??????

This has happened to me.... twice!

You have a '82 GM Vette Manual? I got one off Ebay and started trouble-shooting.

(I should of did this before as I replaced the fuel pump, relay, ECM, etc..., and pulling my hair how trying to figure it out. lol )

Discovered that by pulling out and replacing the fuse at the battery. It's in a little snap case (along the positive cable I think)...got power to return to the pump instantly.

...and the Car rolls right over.

Then I went back and replaced the old fuse back and it starts up!?!

2nd time it happened a few months later, I went straight to R&R 'ing the same fuse and started right up.

Wondering if a lose ground/short builds up a charge on the chassis thereby killing juice to the pump...and by pulling out the fuse and replacing it, displaces it the charge?

Anyway, it worked for me....good luck on your end!

-MoO!

FIXED !!!! How much trouble can a little corrosion cause ????

:happyanim:I have the manual, but I took your advice about that fuse in the battery compartment, I pulled the fuse and it was really corroded I assume from being down in the hole with the battery since all other metal in there was too. I am sure a small amount of acid leaks out of the battery. Anyway I replaced it and back in business, THANKS SOOOOO MUCH. I knew someone out there had run across this ghost problem before. Also I would like to tell others you DO NOT have to remove battery and ECM to remove the fuel pump relay. Just pull out the plastic storage liner behind the pass. seat, once you remove the 2 screws under the carpet behind the driver seat holding the relay in place you can reach in from the pass. side storage compartment and feel the relay, it has plenty of wire to let you pull out a ways and replace it in reverse order. Saves time and trouble.

QUOTE=ironmoo;1081731]This has happened to me.... twice!

You have a '82 GM Vette Manual? I got one off Ebay and started trouble-shooting.

(I should of did this before as I replaced the fuel pump, relay, ECM, etc..., and pulling my hair how trying to figure it out. lol )

Discovered that by pulling out and replacing the fuse at the battery. It's in a little snap case (along the positive cable I think)...got power to return to the pump instantly.

...and the Car rolls right over.

Then I went back and replaced the old fuse back and it starts up!?!

2nd time it happened a few months later, I went straight to R&R 'ing the same fuse and started right up.

Wondering if a lose ground/short builds up a charge on the chassis thereby killing juice to the pump...and by pulling out the fuse and replacing it, displaces it the charge?

Anyway, it worked for me....good luck on your end!

-MoO![/QUOTE]

WHOOT!!! Glad it worked out for you! Took me a few weeks on that one, glad to pass along the knowledge.

Now I have a intake manifold to replace...sigh.

Fix one thing and two other things break! :L

-MoO!

This is a late post,but I think that the fuse by the battery is for the ecm, I am wrong it is for the fuel pump,sorry

Jim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom