Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

No Spark

Manakin

Corvette
Hi this is my first posting on the forum.I have a 1981 Corvette and was installing new carpet in the rear of the car.I have 2 stereo amplifiers that I had taken out for the car to put the carpet in.The positive and negative leads touched and since then I can't start the car.It turns over no problem but I have no spark.I have replaced the ignition coil and the ignition module.I do have 12 volts at the coil and 12 volts at the module but still no spark on the plugs.Any ideas?

Hi this is my first posting on the forum.I have a 1981 Corvette and was installing new carpet in the rear of the car.I have 2 stereo amplifiers that I had taken out for the car to put the carpet in.The positive and negative leads touched and since then I can't start the car.It turns over no problem but I have no spark.I have replaced the ignition coil and the ignition module.I do have 12 volts at the coil and 12 volts at the module but still no spark on the plugs.Any ideas?
If you are pretty sure the stereo issue was the trigger to your problem, I would first check all your fuses maybe blew a ECM or injector, ignition ect fuse. If ok I would replace the ignition module:beer

If so is there a way to test it before I buy another part?
:)[/quote]

Eyeball it. Check the contact in the cap and on the rotor. You might be able to see visible damage.

:)
Thanks for the reply but I did visually inspect it and can't see any damage.I have looked for fuses but can't seem to find any that might be related to my problem.I have also heard it could be the pickup?? Any opinions on that?

bump

finding faults

just incase this helps, Dont always rely on eye ball visability, when looking at electrical items,you can test a cap and rotor, with a continuity tester i have a cheap battery one that i use alot, even light bulbs can be tested as well, but remember a cap can test with continuity ok,but can fail because of a minute small crack, also make sure you never crossed your connections to your coil, positive, negative.regards.

Always check for continuity using a volt/ohm meter. It eliminates guesswork.
I would pull all the fuses one at at time and check them with an ohm meter.
The 81 fuses are really hard to see up there under the dash. One might still be blown, even if it looks good visually.
The other possibilty is the the ignition switch in the column got arced and is not making contact, since all your ignition switched accessories go through it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom