Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

No-start in heat

V

vetguy

OK brain trust: Just drove back from Carlisle today in high heat, 90+. Temp inside the car had to be over 100. We stopped at a service station to pick up a company car that had just been inspected, and I filled the tank on my '75. Went to start the Vette back up and nothing! The only thing you see is the ammeter pegging left like a dead short. This has happened maybe 4 times over the last 7 years, all in extremely hot days after driving over a hour or so. You let the car sit and cool down and it starts right up. Of course there were no mechanics on duty at the time. One mechanic had told me before, that it was the "starter" side of the HEI module in the distributor overheating and opening. Then why the ammeter pegging negative like a short? I am now thinking starter. The starter sits right over the intersection of the crossover and the passenger side of the exhaust manafold. I have never been able to have this happen when a mechanic was around to see it. Once it cools down, the car starts normally. Anyone have any similar experiences?

Heat Soak.....

Do a search for this..

..it's"normal".

The solenoid click's but no turn...correct?

Vig!

The Vigman hit it on the head. Likely heat soak on the starter. Did it on my '72 constantly. The '81 however has never had the problem and I have ceramic coated headers on her. There are a couple of aftermarket heat shield available for you to try that are very reasonably priced.

Good luck. PS...... How did you like Carlisle? I spent all day there Friday and pretty much found everything I was looking for this year. And all low $$ items too (which was nice).

Regards............... Nut

Thought Carlisle was great although it looked like the numbers might be down a bit this year. Saturdays rain in the morning may have scared some people off. Since I live a hour away, I go all three days. Found the few things I was looking for and spent more $$$ on things I didn't really need. But who cares? I bought stuff I liked.

I will try the heat shield on the starter.

Heat shield

I have the same problem with my 82. Where can I get the shield and is it just called a starter shield?
I also heard that a late model small block starter is smaller in diameter which would also help. The last choice is to go to a gear drive starter.

When I first got my 70 vette about 10 years ago I had the same problem. The first time I changed the starter, it lasted a couple of week and started doing the same thing all over again. I brought it back to where I got it and they gave me another. This time there were shimms inside the box. I decided to 1 shimm on each side and see what happens. That was 9 years ago. No problem with the starter since then.

I had the exact same problem with my 75, and after a ton of research it would seem the starter location next to the exhaust system causes it to be unresponsive.

Key to solving this problem for me was to buy 2 different parts, I didnt want to have it happen again.

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=26229&dept_id=1769

Part# 26229 1963-87 Starter Heat Shield

and

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=33895&dept_id=1769

Part# 33895 Starter Heat Shield 34.99

I doubled it up, the blanket (33895) first then applied the actual shield (26229)

Hope this helps

Thanks for the replys. I put in a new starter with the shields. Now we will see if it will last.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom